Duts

Duts  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Tell us how much duts annoy you, on a scale of one to ten (one being not annoyed at all, ten being outrageously annoyed)

• won
    • too
    • 3hree
    • fore
    • 5ive
    • sixx
    • seaven
    • ate
    • nein
    • tenn

I guess I'm weird... but personally, I love the loud duts right before a BIG hit... it builds the anticipation... :blink:

I could see that, at a certain point of a show...but that is more of an addition to the performance rather than a time keeping concept, in this case.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A clean attack is a clean attack. Either you are on time or you are not. Explain to me why a brass player is OK watching the DM but more than one snare is not. "Interpretation" is BS in my book. The down beat is on the down beat. The up beat is on the up beat. Learn how the conductor moves and everyone will be on time, brass or percussion.

*snip*

Try this: take your bare hands(the meaty part right under your fingers on your palms) and try hitting them on your desk at the same time. Now take two pens or something else hard and hit them on a metal pan or something. While it's possible to have clean attacks on either, as well as dirty attacks on either, it's not nearly as noticeable when your hands do not hit at the exact same time as it is when the two pens hit. This is also compounded since a brass note would last longer than a note played on a snare drum.

It is very possible to have different interpretations of a DM's pattern. Someone may interpret the downbeat as being slightly ahead of the hands, and another may interpret it slightly behind. I really don't know how else to explain it, but I'll try. I would bet that if you took two snare players watching the same DM, and placed them in separate, soundproof rooms where they could see the DM but not each other, and had them play 8th notes with a DM conducting at 200 bpm(a speed where it may be fairly difficult to precisely distinguish each beat), then the two snares would probably not play together. However, if you had them both play with the same metronome...

On a personal note, I also kind of like hearing the duts right before a big hit.

Try this: take your bare hands(the meaty part right under your fingers on your palms) and try hitting them on your desk at the same time. Now take two pens or something else hard and hit them on a metal pan or something. While it's possible to have clean attacks on either, as well as dirty attacks on either, it's not nearly as noticeable when your hands do not hit at the exact same time as it is when the two pens hit. This is also compounded since a brass note would last longer than a note played on a snare drum.

It is very possible to have different interpretations of a DM's pattern. Someone may interpret the downbeat as being slightly ahead of the hands, and another may interpret it slightly behind. I really don't know how else to explain it, but I'll try. I would bet that if you took two snare players watching the same DM, and placed them in separate, soundproof rooms where they could see the DM but not each other, and had them play 8th notes with a DM conducting at 200 bpm(a speed where it may be fairly difficult to precisely distinguish each beat), then the two snares would probably not play together. However, if you had them both play with the same metronome...

On a personal note, I also kind of like hearing the duts right before a big hit.

Again, while I don't completely buy your explanation, I am not insisting on a ban on dutting. Go ahead and dut so that the line can hear it. Do I have to hear it in the stands? If corps members learn to dut that way, we will never see this thread again. Everyone gets to be happy. B)

A clean attack is a clean attack. Either you are on time or you are not. Explain to me why a brass player is OK watching the DM but more than one snare is not. "Interpretation" is BS in my book. The down beat is on the down beat. The up beat is on the up beat. Learn how the conductor moves and everyone will be on time, brass or percussion.

There is no such thing as a truly clean attack with more than one person, it doesn't exist - there are just different levels of noticeable dirt...do you really want an explanation of why a snare line attack is different than a brass attack?

There is no such thing as a truly clean attack with more than one person, it doesn't exist - there are just different levels of noticeable dirt...do you really want an explanation of why a snare line attack is different than a brass attack?

No, I don't want an explanation. I want corps to dut so that the line can hear it, not the audience. Is that such a big deal?

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

Dutting can be bothersome sometimes, but what's worse is when a mic picks up a guard member yelling "FIVE SIX SEVEN EIGHT!"

No, I don't want an explanation. I want corps to dut so that the line can hear it, not the audience. Is that such a big deal?

You're changing the argument...It isn't such a big deal, and I agree lines can dut so as to not be heard in the crowd, BUT I replied to you saying something along the lines of "why is it brass is okay to watch the DM but more than one snare isn't"

EXACTLY - "Back in the old days" we would quietly 'dit' for a cold attack during a quiet passage. Just for us to hear it, not the crowd (or hopefully the judges). Did it really help? I dunno...We were probably so concerned about a tic for talking that it may have screwed up our entrance even more!

I don't care if lines DUT - I just don't want to hear it from 30 rows up!

I've had two experienced people give me two very contrary views.

One yelled at us because it was a company front (Paul Rennick) the other yelled because the attack dirty and I should have dutted (as center snare) (Jeremy Whitting [sp])

You're changing the argument...It isn't such a big deal, and I agree lines can dut so as to not be heard in the crowd, BUT I replied to you saying something along the lines of "why is it brass is okay to watch the DM but more than one snare isn't"

Well, you and I are going to disagree on this. I maintain, that, working with a conductor for as long as a corps does, that everyone should know where the beat is.