Duts

Duts  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Tell us how much duts annoy you, on a scale of one to ten (one being not annoyed at all, ten being outrageously annoyed)

• won
    • too
    • 3hree
    • fore
    • 5ive
    • sixx
    • seaven
    • ate
    • nein
    • tenn

I've had two experienced people give me two very contrary views.

One yelled at us because it was a company front (Paul Rennick) the other yelled because the attack dirty and I should have dutted (as center snare) (Jeremy Whitting [sp])

I can understand your predicament! As a center snare, (albeit I don't speak from experience), there is SO much responsibility! Whatever is in the best interest of the drum corps is the bottom line. In other words, even though I may not personally care for the dut thang, it may at times be a real necessity. I find that is an internal happening anyway, even if barely audible. If the drum corps requires it , then so be it! :)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you and I are going to disagree on this. I maintain, that, working with a conductor for as long as a corps does, that everyone should know where the beat is.

I maintain my position - if anyone here thinks that dutting is unnecessary, and is merely the byproduct of members having inadequate training PLEASE go tell Scott Johnson, Tom Aungst, Paul Rennick, Jim Casella et. al. that they are doing something wrong.

I maintain my position - if anyone here thinks that dutting is unnecessary, and is merely the byproduct of members having inadequate training PLEASE go tell Scott Johnson, Tom Aungst, Paul Rennick, Jim Casella et. al. that they are doing something wrong.
PM me their addresses. I will go to the home of each and do just that. ^0^

Accept what I say or don't. You haven't responded to me directly before, so I assume that you secretly do....

For all of the talk about how much better the kids are today is true (and yes, I am generalizing. I know you haven't all said that), you should be able to perform more demanding shows without crutches. Yes, the timing demands are generally higher today. Yes, "duts" are allowed. Yes, if your corps takes the time to learn to do your show without "dutting", you will be trampled by the corps that "dut" and use the extra time for other purposes. Yes, if your corps falls out of the top 12 it will lose a lot of money. I understand. It's not your fault. The system is to blame. But those of you that act like you are Gods of drum corps and the generations that came before you are slugs probably ought to keep your pride in "dutting" on the DL (Do they still say "DL"?). Not mowing the 50 doesn't prove that you are a better marcher, a better player, or a better person. It just means that you are performing a show with certain challenges built in that many before you didn't face. Challenges you can't overcome without "duts". Apparently, many of you are proud enough of that fact that you think it's cool to demonstrate it by "dutting" so that the crowd can hear it. Why shouldn't you be proud? You're getting as many points as you can and not breaking any rules! And doing it without breaking rules is still a step above the "win at ALL costs" attitude that pervades society today. Good job! :beer:

What about Phantom Regiment? I just read in another "dut" thread that they don't do it and they have been placing extremely high. 1st last year, 3rd this year.

I guess that blows your position right out of the water, huh?

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

What about Phantom Regiment? I just read in another "dut" thread that they don't do it and they have been placing extremely high. 1st last year, 3rd this year.

I guess that blows your position right out of the water, huh?

Not really, there are videos on Youtube of PR's line dutting - can't post the links here, but feel free to PM me if you want to hear that line dut as well.

Position still firmly in water. :P

I know I am way old school but we used to march longer shows without a dut and without yard lines and hash marks. We corrected phasing problems and a grand number of other ills by properly watching the drum major.

I find duts only slightly annoying. Use them in rehearsal to get it right and then train the performers to 'internally' dut for performance

This can be done but its extremely difficult especially with the tempos and intricate drill of today . Someone

mentioned early in the thread about dutting low enough so the audience couldn't detect the dutting I would tend to agree with

that senario first . It's each corps choice if they want to dut or not . Their are thousands of different reasons to use this

technique or not use it ! If a corps can go through it's entire show without a single DUT and hit all or most of it's attacks

dead on then more power to them ! I also agree with the person that posted earlier about the battery dutting in their

rehearsal only with one slight difference have the drum major , the entire horn section and guard stand still while the

battery and front end ensemble run through the show . The hornline could sing their parts and the guard could go through

their motions with the battery dutting through out the show where needed for critical attacks . Do this two or three times a day then take it to the practice field , Then while watching the DM , put the DUTS in and periotically take them out eventually

the corps will be so sharp on all attacks that they may not need them as much if at all . B)

Not really, there are videos on Youtube of PR's line dutting - can't post the links here, but feel free to PM me if you want to hear that line dut as well.

Position still firmly in water. :P

I was going off of information from the post in the other thread which gave the information and had not been challenged. That will teach me for assuming. :lookaround:

Can anyone from Phantom tell us the truth, does your line dut during shows?

I was going off of information from the post in the other thread which gave the information and had not been challenged. That will teach me for assuming. :lookaround:

Can anyone from Phantom tell us the truth, does your line dut during shows?

I don't imagine they would dut in the lot while running show music, then be silent on the field.