San Francisco Renegades Open House

I had a lot of fun this weekend. For me, the best part of the opening camp of 2008 was not the great turn out, the A+ staff chemistry, or the fact that we are very excited about the show ... it was the positive energy throughout the entire weekend, from every section of the corps and staff.

Everyone was there to have fun -- and be great. Period at the end of that. :laughing:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great time! Aside from having a great time drumming and partying. I really did enjoy watching all of the other sections. Very very exciting to be a part of corps that has such a large amount of talent in every section.

As for the percussion staff... You guys are great! All of you just made the weekend fun as well as effective. I did not question myself once this weekend "is there something better I could be doing with my time?" Saturday and Sunday went by WAY too fast. The snares even skipped lunch on sunday and just drummed right on through to the second block.

On a side note... it looks like we have 8!... that is right... 8! snare players in Sac and we are talking about having a sectional this sunday to keep the momentum going and get the 3 that were not there this weekend into the mix.

and too top that off... it looks like we are going to have 3 tenor players from Sac as well, but that is not yet confirmed...

Anyway, again... I had a great weekend and I can't wait until the next camp!

Edited by Adam Jones

It was indeed a great weekend. Those that know me know that I am not one for hype for the sake of hype. I only say it was a great weekend when it actually was. Incredibly positive vibe from all involved, and even those that just came around to watch.

Dust in the Wind is going to be one of the, if not the best ballad that Renegades have done. The hornline is very talented throughout, but with a particular nod to the mellos and contras. I enjoyed standing in front of them. It's my first time on this side of the horn. It takes some getting used to, but I hope I am able to contribute to the success of my corps.

One final thing that made the weekend an absolute treat:

DEB PETERSON ON CONTRABASS! Deb, while I know your heart belongs to the colorguard, you are more than welcome to be a part of the hornline anyday. Actually, I think it's a pretty fair trade. The guard gets Lolita and maybe Ona, and the brass gets Deb.

THE Deb Peterson?

say it ain't so ;)

I want photographic proof!

hehe (hi Deb)

It was indeed a great weekend. Those that know me know that I am not one for hype for the sake of hype. I only say it was a great weekend when it actually was. Incredibly positive vibe from all involved, and even those that just came around to watch.

Dust in the Wind is going to be one of the, if not the best ballad that Renegades have done. The hornline is very talented throughout, but with a particular nod to the mellos and contras. I enjoyed standing in front of them. It's my first time on this side of the horn. It takes some getting used to, but I hope I am able to contribute to the success of my corps.

One final thing that made the weekend an absolute treat:

DEB PETERSON ON CONTRABASS! Deb, while I know your heart belongs to the colorguard, you are more than welcome to be a part of the hornline anyday. Actually, I think it's a pretty fair trade. The guard gets Lolita and maybe Ona, and the brass gets Deb.

Thank you Dave and the entire hornline (especially the guys in the contra section) who helped me out yesterday and didn't mind an occasional horrendous mistake. I learned several things yesterday, not the least of which my husband's complete and total hatred of anything below a middle C. What can you expect from an upper lead sop anyway??????? He's so embarrassed. As for me, between the amazing Mark Metzger's warm up/dance in the morning and carrying that horn around all afternoon, my back is um, a little sore. Well, I am off to practice (or in other words, it is time once again to expose hubby to my newest passive/aggresive move) :laughing:

Thank you Dave and the entire hornline (especially the guys in the contra section) who helped me out yesterday and didn't mind an occasional horrendous mistake. I learned several things yesterday, not the least of which my husband's complete and total hatred of anything below a middle C. What can you expect from an upper lead sop anyway??????? He's so embarrassed. As for me, between the amazing Mark Metzger's warm up/dance in the morning and carrying that horn around all afternoon, my back is um, a little sore. Well, I am off to practice (or in other words, it is time once again to expose hubby to my newest passive/aggresive move) :laughing:

Randomly looking across the horn line ... and seeing you playing contra was the most surreal moment of the entire weekend. Too cool.

What can you expect from an upper lead sop anyway??????? He's so embarrassed.

Embarrassed because he can't hold up that big ### horn but his 110lb wife can. Deb rocks!

As far as the soreness goes, I'm know where you're coming from. I was never a drum major, and after basically "drum majoring" for a better part of the weekend, I'm definitely feeling muscles I forgot even existed. There's a big difference between conducting a concert band and conducting a hornline. It's just a lot more physical, period. Can't wait to see some DM auditionees at the January camp!

yeah... I was thinking the same thing... we have at least 7 working ones. They don't sound very good though. But at least everybody would have a drum to drum on. But then again if you have 4 that covers, Paul, Paul, Sterra, Josh B and I have mine (obviously) to give us 5... IF Dave and Jerry show... Dave has his own snare and that would just leave Jerry needing one. Tyler will not be able to make it because he has previous plans... but will most likely be at the next camp. Sooo we will for sure at least have 5 people and if that is all that shows... we will have enough drums for everybody.