What instructor has won the most World Championship titles

I know Scott Johnson marched when the Devils won their first title in '76 and is an instructor now. I don't know if he's jumped from corps to corps or started teaching percussion recently, though.

Hi ADD - look up 7 posts :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Scott Johnson marched when the Devils won their first title in '76 and is an instructor now. I don't know if he's jumped from corps to corps or started teaching percussion recently, though.

no. he was snare tech at bd while he was marching there. he tought one or two years at scv after ralph hardimon left, and then returned to bd as caption head.

Either way Wayne still wins. He won all 12 for BD and also won with SCV. That gives him 13. That has to be the most

Either way Wayne still wins. He won all 12 for BD and also won with SCV. That gives him 13. That has to be the most

I believe Wayne aged out with SCV in 1972, while teaching them. Then he taught Kingsmen in 1973. And then came to Blue Devils in 1974 I believe. (Maybe 1975?) He has been there since. So I believe he only has 12 championships. Still quite an accomplishment.

I believe Dave Gibbs has been around just as long. Just not as an instructor the entire time.

I believe Wayne aged out with SCV in 1972, while teaching them. Then he taught Kingsmen in 1973. And then came to Blue Devils in 1974 I believe. (Maybe 1975?) He has been there since. So I believe he only has 12 championships. Still quite an accomplishment.

First paragraph from an interview I did with him at BD's 50th anniversary celebration. He didn't mention Kingsmen, but I remember someone on DCP posting a photo of him on the field with the corps in the background. According to the following paragraph, the only time not accounted for is the period between his aging out of SCV in 1972 and his coming on board with BD in October of 1973. Anyone have anything further on this?

<<Wayne Downey, perhaps the best known arranger and instructor in all of drum corps, has been with the Blue Devils from October of 1973. Prior to that, he marched with Santa Clara Vanguard from the end of 1969, filling in a horn position when the corps returned from its Nationals tour. He stayed with SCV until he aged out in 1972, not just marching his final year, but teaching the brass section as well.>>

If we include pre-DCI championships (VFW and AL, etc.)... where would that put Don Warren?

From Scott Johnson's profile on bluedevils.org...

"He was a marching member in the Blue Devils snare line from 1976 through 1979. He became a member of the Blue Devil staff as a Percussion instructor from 1978 through 1989 and later rejoined the organization in 1994 as Director of Percussion and Percussion Arranger."

That'd put him in at 12 :)

First paragraph from an interview I did with him at BD's 50th anniversary celebration. He didn't mention Kingsmen, but I remember someone on DCP posting a photo of him on the field with the corps in the background. According to the following paragraph, the only time not accounted for is the period between his aging out of SCV in 1972 and his coming on board with BD in October of 1973. Anyone have anything further on this?

<<Wayne Downey, perhaps the best known arranger and instructor in all of drum corps, has been with the Blue Devils from October of 1973. Prior to that, he marched with Santa Clara Vanguard from the end of 1969, filling in a horn position when the corps returned from its Nationals tour. He stayed with SCV until he aged out in 1972, not just marching his final year, but teaching the brass section as well.>>

I believe he was Director of the San Jose State Spartan Marching Band.

Also - don't forget Wayne's four DCA championships with the Brigs - that brings him up to 16!

A related question - I know a few folks that have won DCI with three different corps as a staffer (Todd Ryan is an example) - anyone won with 4 or more corps?

If we include pre-DCI championships (VFW and AL, etc.)... where would that put Don Warren?

I believe that puts him at 20.

Edit: And, even if you don't count the years beyond 2002 .. that still puts him at 18.

Edited by dcsnare93