SCV Bottle Dance

82 SCV was a fantastic drum corps, one of my favorites! The bottle dance was intended to excite the crowd and the judges and that is exactly what it did. Tear or not, who cares, they were gods! And yes it was the acoustics of the stadium coupled with a new ending, certainly not the talent of that corps. The only problem was overcoming the 82 Blue Devils. I'm an older more reasonable person these days and now have a huge love, comradery and respect for my SCV brothers. But the one core fact that still resonates in my sole is the 82 Blue Devils were the most positive, talented and united drumcorps I have ever scene or participated in. It is still beyond my comprehension that anyone could even be close to beating us. Yet, SCV was close……

That stadium was so bad acoustically that I have my doubts that the competition was even there. More likely the outcome was decided during prelims when they had something real to judge. I do have a great memory of the place though as we marched out during the Olympic style retreat while they played some angelic music on the PA that reverberated off every surface. The whole experience was like a slow motion dream culminating with a championship. Yeah, that was a good night.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they ever invent a time machine, I'm going to march 82 Vanguard! :lookaround:

If they ever invent a time machine, I'm going to march 82 Vanguard! :lookaround:

Sounds like Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite. Didn't he want to go back to 1982? Don't forget the time crystals :P

Edited by dugada

Is there a place where I can see a [legal] video of this? Sounds awesome!

YES DCI web page just posted the top three drum corps from 1974 to 2006

I am addicted to the page I cant get away from view videos

(yes it cost a one time fee)

The only problem was overcoming the 82 Blue Devils. I'm an older more reasonable person these days and now have a huge love, comradery and respect for my SCV brothers. But the one core fact that still resonates in my sole is the 82 Blue Devils were the most positive, talented and united drumcorps I have ever scene or participated in. It is still beyond my comprehension that anyone could even be close to beating us. Yet, SCV was close……

Yes, 82 BD was one of the greatest corps in the history of the activity. I sometimes wish we had a show that reflected the uniqueness of the talent, drive and skill of you guys. But as far as SCV being close, well, I don't think anyone was ever close to that corps. I think it says something that SCV pulled out its biggest and best stuff for finals and couldn't get closer than a couple of points.

That being said, I think the single most electricfying moment of the year was the 30 seconds of SCV's bottle dance at finals and the sound of the stadium rumble as the crowd went bezerk. God knows we didn't generate that type of response. I miss moments like that in the activity, which for some reason has decided that signature visceral events/effects are no longer an acceptable approach to show design.

I marched SCV in 82 and we we're not neck and neck the whole year but we did catch BD score wise about a week before finals. Check corpsreps and see. There was a real sense in the corps that we could beat BD. Some thought the Bottle Dance would help us and some (In the Corps) thought we should just keep cleaning the show we had. I believe we could have made it a lot closer ( < .5?) had we kept working on the show we had and not wasted time sneaking around to add the new ending.

As for the tear, I was in the bass line and I couldn't hear the snares in front of us. I did see our center snare yell something to the rest of the snare line so I thought something might me going wrong but I didn't know until Gail talked to us after the show. In defense of Zap (He doesn't need one really) He couldn't hear the Drum Line and we couldn't hear the horns so If he help up a beat to hopefully get the corps on the same beat to start the actual dance part, I can't blame him.

Chuck,

I was right there with ya brother -- in the snareline you couldn't hear ;-) But, I guess we had a diff of opinion. I didn't think anyone -- us included -- had a chance in hell of catching BD. Definitely not a knock... just thought BD was that good.

By the way, gotta throw some props your way. SCV's drumline rep back then was built on fantastic snarelines... 73, 74, 75... 78, 79. It's what made me want to march SCV. Yet, without a doubt, the stars of those early to mid 80's SCV drumlines were the Cater taught Bass lines. The quality of sound you guys produced was fantastic. I just finished up digitizing a bunch of old drum corps recordings and, while listening to '82, I couldn't stop focusing on the Bass line. You guys were really, really good!!!

I'll go back and march '84 BD again... but I'll make sure the Drum GE judge has an "accident" on his way to "work." ^0^

??? Is this Joe White from the 84 tenor line, by any chance????

I've always thought that if Shirly Whitcomb had been judging finals, it might've gone the other way...

Chuck,

I was right there with ya brother -- in the snareline you couldn't hear ;-) But, I guess we had a diff of opinion. I didn't think anyone -- us included -- had a chance in hell of catching BD. Definitely not a knock... just thought BD was that good.

By the way, gotta throw some props your way. SCV's drumline rep back then was built on fantastic snarelines... 73, 74, 75... 78, 79. It's what made me want to march SCV. Yet, without a doubt, the stars of those early to mid 80's SCV drumlines were the Cater taught Bass lines. The quality of sound you guys produced was fantastic. I just finished up digitizing a bunch of old drum corps recordings and, while listening to '82, I couldn't stop focusing on the Bass line. You guys were really, really good!!!

Rob Carson rocks.