Phantom Regiment announces 2008 show...SPARTACUS!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they had this one saved up until the corps size increased to 150 strong. The increased size I would imagine would go mostly if not all to the hornline. That 15 member increase on the hornline will make a big difference, as I would have questioned if the current size of the hornline would have been powerful enough of any corps to make that strong attack like they did on G bugles in 81-82.

Great choice. I too have longed for the return of Spartacus. Red and Black capes a must. Another consideration would be some black in the uniforms. I don't think all white uniforms for this show would work. Either all black uniforms or white jackets and black pants with red trim.

Lastly, the audio clip seems slightly different, a little watered down than I remember on my recording. I remember the hornline after the opening long note attacks playing the wicked 16-note licks, not the bells/xylophones. Have I been humming it wrong all this time? LOL

Holy crap yes. Spartacus does not equal SPARTA.

so 300 would not make sense at all.

Ave Maria has nothing to do with Faust. So Ave Maria made no sense at all in 06?

A rhetorical question, of course. Phantom, along with lots of other corps, has done themed shows that include music that originally had nothing to do with said theme. It'll be interesting to see if Phantom does it again with this. I'm hoping it's not all Khachaturian, and I wouldn't mind at all if they include music that originally had nothing to do with Spartacus.

The last time Phantom played Spartacus as a show, none of the members of the 2008 Phantom Regiment were even born.

I feel so old right now.........still I am looking forward to this.

(edited for beer-induced grammar).

Edited by LincolnV

Cool.

New Guard Unis? :tic:

th-3942-1036-1.jpg

There seems to be some minor confusion from a few...Spartacus does not = Sparta. But is just as kick A!

I would hope so - back in 1982 the guard had these strange rolled-up condom things on their heads. I never could quite figure out what the desired effect was.

Don't need to imagine- I heard them play it 2 years ago as part of their encore, and it sounded GREAT!!! :tic:

My question: Will they be marching a CONCERT bass like they did in '82? (check out how big Bass 5's drum is that year on the DVD)

Matt - I think that was a 40" bass drum. Thumps pretty nicely as the nails are driven in the crucifixion (at the beginning of Apotheosis...er....closer). The nail sounds were made by slamming a old brake drum with a ball pein hammer, a cymbal crash/choke (that's me ticking at finals) and the concert bass drum backfield.

I think if they want to crucify Spartacus in 2008, it's all hands on deck in the front ensemble. Lots of metal sounds available these days - probably make the Zildjian guys really happy.

I had the privilege of being one of the performers in the '82 Spartacus show and am thrilled the Regiment bringing the show back. Thanks to all of you who are fans of the '81 and '82 Spartacus shows. We really appreciate you. I am stoked for this year's corps and can't wait to see what Shaw and Rennick come up with. I look forward to seeing this show!!

I wonder if Pat Garey and Phil Tartalone will come back and don their togas to hand out librettos once again...

Hail Spartacus!!!

JD, I've always been a huge fan of the 82 show - you guys took the 81 show and kicked it up a more than a few notches. I can only imagine what they'll come up with...

Should be lots of fun!