Phantom

Why do the trumpets and mellos pull their left hand out and place it on top of their right (cadet style), while the euphs keep their hands on the horn the whole time (scv style). Is there any reasoning behind having 2 different styles?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BD does that too. I imagine it's because it sucks to hold a bari or euph like that.

I understand the euph part, having played it myself. But then why not change the high brass to match styles? I guess thats really my concern.

Holding a trumpet like that (like the euphs) looks really weak in my opinion. It also makes it awkward to keep your elbows even.

It's called "cover".

Cavies do it throughout the hornline expect contras.

Most corps do it with high brass cover and low brass doesn't cover.

Why do the trumpets and mellos pull their left hand out and place it on top of their right (cadet style), while the euphs keep their hands on the horn the whole time (scv style). Is there any reasoning behind having 2 different styles?

Well, i know we had to do it with baris and euphs (in years past) at cadets. Our horns werent quite as big as phantoms, but im sure they were close. It also helped that we had the 2 part horns up in most cases to fix it. Honestly, it never bothered me much with phantom tho...

A lot of corps do it the same way Regiment does. Really, I can't think of a high brass line that doesn't cover theirs on the top.

When it comes to low brass, I had a hard enough time popping that euph with my hand inside, let alone if I had to jam it in there really quick to get that thing up (it was always a struggle coming up from parade trail to horns up).

I agree with the sentiment that it's a 'to each his own' sort of thing.

Now, let's get really picky - how high do the different corps carry their horns when they're down - what part should be at eye level. :)