Changing Corps

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis Blues *sigh*

fabulous corps, I mean brass band,

It was what it was and now, twenty-five (####, where did the time go?) years later that's where some of my closest friendships even today were forged.

For me it was about the relationships. If I had had one more season of eligibility, I probably would have talked about how cool it would have been to go further west and march with the Freelancers or Velvet Knights........or maybe even, gasp, Santa Clara. I might have even thought it was time to go midwest and give Madison or Phantom a try.

But after all of that talk I probably would have returned to Denver where I knew my fellow members and staff. I had alot invested in being a part of that organization (and I'm not talking financial) and it would have been difficult to leave if I didn't have to.

Edited by notelvis

Do Div. I staffs actually make attempts during the off season to keep connected with veteran members

to increase the return rate? So many people seem to have trouble with kids moving on to other corps,

but I wonder how often is it due to staff changes?

Maybe in his opinion you missed the point of drum corps

if you or anyone else thinks that the point of drum corps is winning, then i feel very sorry for you.

i'm not saying winning or making finals is bad or w/e

what i'm saying is that winning is nowhere near the top of the main reasons drum corps even exists or should be joined

I really don't think that most kids dwell on the thought of winning a title. I'm sure they would all like to, and they work hard at it. But if they come up short they don't go home and cry over it all winter either. There's more to Drum Corps than that.

Edited by Piper

I have never understood why the idea of enjoying an activity for the competitive aspect is frowned upon. It certainly isn't that way with mainstream sports, so why is it with drumcorps?

Drum corps is a weird hybrid of competitive athleticism and art. It really doesn't fit neatly into either realm. There are those who take the competitive aspect to an unhealthy extreme and I think that's where the concerns come from. One of the great things about the activity is that it offers participants so many different things and people are drawn to it for different reasons. To each his/her own.

Sometimes you don't have much choice in where you march. Military parents move. Jobs relocate. I was fortunate in that I marched one junior corps for five years. I wanted a lot of meaningful patches on a single jacket. And I rather liked being in a bottom six corps. Good enough to make finals, but rehearsed less because you went on sooner. Got a bit more free time since you had many corps go on after you at a show. Got more days off since you weren't trying to win at all costs. It was rather enjoyable. Maybe I could have experienced something different being in a top six corps, but I was happy where I was at.

Now that I've been doing the DCA thing, I've marched a different corps almost every year. Worked and lived in CA, MO, VA, GA, PA, KY, TX. Not much choice in the matter, make a living or join the ranks of the homeless.

I marched with the same corps for 4 years. In the beginning I thought i was gonna march till my age out year (8years eek!). However, by the fourth year, I really didn't like the way the organization was going and I felt like i had outgrown them. When I didn't make my corps of choice I was gonna take the next year off, but in april i filled a hole in senior corps. The next year I made my said Jr. Corps of choice and I play to march there till I age out. It's all about finding the corps that fits you.

Who are we to sit here and say what is a "right" or "wrong" reason to change corps?

Everyone marches for different reasons, and with different goals in mind. If junior wants to experience what it is like to perform at finals, then so what? It may be self-serving, but that's his choice.

Aside from different musical styles and approaches, each corps has its own collective personality. That personality might not be the best fit for everyone, so if a kid wants to find another place where they feel more comfortable, I say why not?