The ultimate goal?

The following is just my observation and, as Dennis Miller says in his rants, "I may be wrong." Regarding Div II/III: I think DCI has thrown in the towel. By that I mean that DCI has decided to both upgrade and standardize its "product." The intent is to have the term "drum corps" convey a consistant image in terms of corps size, pageantry, and the list of captions (visual effect, musical effect, etc.) In answer to the question "should Div II/III corps strive to become Div I" (and, yes, I'm aware of the change in labels), the answer is, that train has already left the station. It's up to individual corps as to whether they want to get on board or not. Ultimately, anyone not in "world class" will find themselves hustling for venues and appearance fees on their own. Div I will be the "product" even if it means fewer corps in the long run. Is this bad? Maybe not. In simple economics, scarcity raises prices (translation: each corps gets more dough.) But, I may be wrong.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following is just my observation and, as Dennis Miller says in his rants, "I may be wrong." Regarding Div II/III: I think DCI has thrown in the towel. By that I mean that DCI has decided to both upgrade and standardize its "product." The intent is to have the term "drum corps" convey a consistant image in terms of corps size, pageantry, and the list of captions (visual effect, musical effect, etc.) In answer to the question "should Div II/III corps strive to become Div I" (and, yes, I'm aware of the change in labels), the answer is, that train has already left the station. It's up to individual corps as to whether they want to get on board or not. Ultimately, anyone not in "world class" will find themselves hustling for venues and appearance fees on their own. Div I will be the "product" even if it means fewer corps in the long run. Is this bad? Maybe not. In simple economics, scarcity raises prices (translation: each corps gets more dough.) But, I may be wrong.

I hate that you said this and i hate even more that i find myself agreeing with you, that it is very posible and plausible. :(

No, not all Open Class corps are trying to become World Class corps. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Blue Devils B and the Vanguard Cadets to be competing against their big brothers, does it? For BDB and SCVC (among others)...

...the goal is to stay small and provide an alternative to full touring and be more local/regional base for their members

No, not all Open Class corps are trying to become World Class corps. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Blue Devils B and the Vanguard Cadets to be competing against their big brothers, does it? For BDB and SCVC (among others)...

Was checking some history on corpreps at lunch time and ran across this for Cadets of New York City. If someone can come up with another group that is more of a polar opposite of big time Div I I'd love to see it.

And the more I read this the more I want to find out more.... :)

"The Cadets of New York City is a competitive and parade drum and bugle corps. Its membership consists of marchers of African-American, Caribbean, and Latino descent living at or below the poverty line. Members live in socioeconomically disadvantaged communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City, where the brilliance and potential of youth is shrouded by the common ills of low-income inner-city neighborhoods: poverty, crime, substance abuse, and teenage pregnancy/parenting. All members join the corps with no prior performing or music theory experience. Interest and commitment to hard work are the sole requirements to join the corps."

PS - To MagicBobert... the goto cartoon takes me back to my college programming classes and CompSci in the late 70s was almost all learning languages :lol: .. (turning on South Parks Mr Mackie voice) "Spaghetti code is bad.... M'kay..." :P

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

First of all, I wasn't trying to be witty! (that's obvious) Secondly, I probably should have ignored your obvious rip on a drum corps. It was completely of topic and had no relevance to it. Thirdly....well, I will not comment further on your original post. Except to say that if I understood it the you meant it to be understood, it was completely ignorant!

next.

Your lack of wit in reply notwithstanding, how does my post conjure up ignorance?

What benefit lies in creating an inferior division? There was such an incentive to stay small, Division 2 up and vanished on its own. We all saw it coming, though I thought it would be D2 they ditched, it makes sense why they eliminated 3. There is no market for small drum corps. Let me repeat that:

There is no market for small drum corps.

They don't put butts in seats. It's just fact. So why provide a competitive incentive for small corps, when they don't sell tickets? It was D2 corps that were moving up, and D3 corps that were being subsidized. We all know about the exceptions in D3, but they were exceptions. There will still be small corps, and that's fine. But there's no good reason competitively to give them a reason to stay small. If they can expand, allow them. If a corps can benefit by filling 2 busses at 106 or whatever, why prevent them from taking in another 20-30k in fees that year?

Besides, would you go to a show of all small corps? Before you answer that, you had better have a 2-3 ticket handy. There were pockets of support, but they aren't going to evaporate because of the change. If anything, they'll grow.

But what good is an excellent 85 member corps to DCI? Very little. OTOH, a 150 person corps that can break into World... that has value to DCI.

I'll agree DieseFume here. I don't think it will be too long before the smaller corps leave DCI and go do their own thing because DCI will no longer be the place for them. Maybe they will create their own circuit? Who knows?

It was D2 corps that were moving up, and D3 corps that were being subsidized.

Subsidized how????

The question for DCI is do they want to be the organization for all of Junior DC or just the Junior corps that helps DCIs bottom line. IOW what is DCIs goal: doing what's best for corps or what's best for the "market". And if DCI really wants to work to improve the small corps world then DCI better start looking at different ways to handle them.

Interesting how DCI was created to supposedly help the Junior corps control their own destiny. Would love to know how much control the smaller corps directors think they have today.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Dunno - should it be the goal of every corps to leave the state they are from to go to Minnesota and then bail again to go to Indy?

If it results in a monumental increase in audition camp attendance, then the answer to your question is absolutely yes. For the record, with your question being obviously directed at Blue Stars, I'll just reiterate what's been said in other threads. They aren't "moving" anywhere. Lots of corps hold camps outside of their home territory. It's a good thing, for all parties. Except maybe you.