DCI "Places ESPN2 Broadcoast on Hiatus"

There's little evidence to back up your conclusions. The DCI in person attendance is actually going up in many venues.

But the number of total DCI shows is down, meaning that there are fewer and fewer venues in which people can go to see a drum corps show. Of course, those same die-hards who can't see a show closer to home will travel to see one. Still, as one example, there was a little show that packed the stands in the small stadium in Ogdensburg, N.Y., several years ago. That show -- along with many other local shows -- was cancelled. So I'd be willing to bet that even though attendance at the existing shows is up, total attendance from all the shows added together is down from what it was a decade or two ago, simply because there are fewer shows than there were then. Not everyone can afford to make that trip to wherever a show is.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one brought me out of off-season hibernation:

Just from a sales-only perspective (purists, I do respect your take, and believe me, I ADORE old school guards like crazy and was on my feet in Pasadena for the Kingsmen alumni guard going bananas)... if most of the corps brought in some key people who have made pro ballroom dancing and cheerleading so popular, not to mention ubiquitous on TV-- bumping up the "eye candy" factor-- the numbers, especially the money numbers that it's gonna take to keep the activity viable and financially healthy-- would jump right up.

As a woman and a mom, I don't particularly love knowing what sells, but it's the inarguable truth.

I see some guard uniforms that just make me cringe. They're younger than springtime, and look as great as they're ever going to look, yet they get put in some outfits that defy all logic. Color guard in DCI is 29 kinds of difficult, and those phenomenally-talented people deserve outfits that make them look like a million dollars. I'd like to see a DCI rule that decreed that Clinton and Stacy of "What Not To Wear" had to sign off on all designs. :P

We got to see the Alabama Million Dollar Band at BOA Atlanta and it's just my opinion, but their majorettes could get elected governor in most of the other 49 states, looking like that. Call the 'Bama majorette sponsor and find out where they got those Austrian crystal unis, guard caption heads! Google some photos of ballroom dance outfits! Fringe! Sparkle! Unis that fit and *flatter* the guys! Where is it written that color guards can't look terrific?

Whether we like it or not, it'd look fabulous on camera, and it'd sell. I'm just sayin'.

My degree's in marketing and I'm in sales (did you guess? LOL!) :P :P :P

:bluedevil::rolleyes::worthy::worthy:

Excellent post!! This activity has see some absolutely ridiculous guard uniforms that elicit laughter from people, even if the intent is artistry. They seriously need to go!!

But the number of total DCI shows is down, meaning that there are fewer and fewer venues in which people can go to see a drum corps show. Of course, those same die-hards who can't see a show closer to home will travel to see one. Still, as one example, there was a little show that packed the stands in the small stadium in Ogdensburg, N.Y., several years ago. That show -- along with many other local shows -- was cancelled. So I'd be willing to bet that even though attendance at the existing shows is up, total attendance from all the shows added together is down from what it was a decade or two ago, simply because there are fewer shows than there were then. Not everyone can afford to make that trip to wherever a show is.

and fewer and fewer people join the Kiwanis or Knights of Columbus, or Elks as well. Times...they change. The decrease in little local shows was inevitable as corps saw a potential gain in touring to fewer locations and performing not more, but less,

I think finals attendance for this year tells me that people still want to come as see drum corps in big numbers.

Shows with less than 3K per evening are about gone. DCI is reinventing itself...kind of like AM radio to attract a younger audience. No more farm reports and local gossip...now it's shock jocks and celebrity gossip.

They are also trusting enough of us olde phartes will continue to come to shows even though we complain.

and fewer and fewer people join the Kiwanis or Knights of Columbus, or Elks as well. Times...they change. The decrease in little local shows was inevitable as corps saw a potential gain in touring to fewer locations and performing not more, but less,

True, but you were contesting my point about the fan base dwindling. What you've said above affirms it. The fan base is dwindling, for all those reasons and more. It will be interesting -- sad, too -- to see where drum corps is in a couple more decades. If the trend continues as it has, I just don't see it being a sustainable one. And maybe that's inevitable, but it's no less disappointing.

True, but you were contesting my point about the fan base dwindling. What you've said above affirms it. The fan base is dwindling, for all those reasons and more. It will be interesting -- sad, too -- to see where drum corps is in a couple more decades. If the trend continues as it has, I just don't see it being a sustainable one. And maybe that's inevitable, but it's no less disappointing.

sorry, the loss of local little shows does not equate dwindling attendance. Finals night attendance was over 30K this year. That's higher than most DCI finals. And that's paid attendance...not just crowd estimates.

It's not all gloom and doom...but yes, someday before the planet collapses from a meteor strike or something, kids won't bother to march drum corps anymore.

Not to worry though, the juvenile obesity epidemic will have more to do with the decline of drum corps than DCI's decisions.

IMO, there are two main reasons for few local shows anymore.

1) Less corps = Less shows.

2) Less Shows and Higher Costs so what shows remain need more warm bodies in the stands to cover the costs and/or sky high ticket costs. Only way to cover that is to have more regional type shows to get bigger audience and more corps to justify the higher cost.

So more and more if you want to see corps, you're going to make some pretty big travel plans as popping a few towns over to see a show is pretty much gone. No wonder the regional and Finals weeke crowd size is looking good as if you have to spend the $$$ and time to see some corps you might as well make it worth the effort. Know a few people who take vacation time and go to Allentown and Finals week for that reason.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

This is EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTING to say the least..actually it SUCKS!! <**> <**> <**>

Lets hope that some possible alternate solution occurs. Will this pretty much put and end to the Cinecast than??

This has no connection to the Quarterinals cinecast.

You know, it was brought up already, but it bears examination. 10 years ago, no one could go online and understand DCI. Sure, there were a few web pages, and maybe even a clip or two.

Now, anything from dci.org to here to YT to various other sites allow the introduction of drum corps to anyone wanting to look into it.

What was the purpose of the broadcast? Let's get down to the core reason; exposure. DCI was losing money on it, right? They knew it would be the case. They were losing out with PBS, ESPN, and likely any situation where a TV channel required you to pay for their airtime.

Why pay for exposure now? Kids can find out about DCI easily enough now. So why drop 6-figures on a broadcast? It's an ego-boost, and a validator... but in the end, breaking even is a lot more important.

While I found DCI through the PBS broadcast, I had heard of it. I knew it was out there, but my first viewing was PBS. But if I were in the same spot now, in a crappy HS band, I'd be the kid looking at all the YT I could find, looking at clips, etc. etc., and would have no difficulty finding it.

In 1989, there were exactly 3 choices. Live show, though there were none in my area, PBS, or buy media from DCI. I recorded shows on VHS and ran those tapes ragged. But now, I wouldn't be inclined to do that. I'd be collecting them online. So I don't know that exposure is going to go down. If anything, bolstering a web presence is where any savings could go; that is if there's any money left...

sorry, the loss of local little shows does not equate dwindling attendance. Finals night attendance was over 30K this year. That's higher than most DCI finals. And that's paid attendance...not just crowd estimates.

That is not correct. DCI claimed 24,000 in their own press release.

What was the purpose of the broadcast? Let's get down to the core reason; exposure. DCI was losing money on it, right? They knew it would be the case. They were losing out with PBS, ESPN, and likely any situation where a TV channel required you to pay for their airtime.

Why pay for exposure now? Kids can find out about DCI easily enough now.

Because a broadcast still provides exposure that no amount of web-based content can duplicate.

I'm not refuting your point, though - just want to say it's not as clear as black-and-white. There is still something to be said for having a program spot on TV, where there are only 1000 channels instead of the infinite number of sources the Internet provides. But it is a case of diminishing returns. When there were only 13 channels and no Internet, the exposure gained from a broadcast was huge. Now, not so much.

So why drop 6-figures on a broadcast? It's an ego-boost, and a validator... but in the end, breaking even is a lot more important.

Like I said, I'm not refuting. Perhaps the broadcast's exposure boost has declined to the point where it is no longer worth the price (and that price hasn't declined lately).