DCI "Places ESPN2 Broadcoast on Hiatus"

How about Vs (Versus), formerly OLN (Outdoor Living Network)?

#### near killed NHL TV viewing with it's "Every Monday and Tuesday, except when we feel like putting something else on. Don't worry about it, cause we ain't in the TV listings". Then we can have threads about if DCI was already ON the boob tube but no one knew it... :ph34r:

The theater deal makes more sense to me. Problem is Finals could never be shown live as it would cut into the theaters profits unless they pre-book to make sure enough warm money paying bodies show up.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What?

Explain to me please. Just attempt for a moment...to explain how these two things are related. ESPN2 raised their hourly rates because DCI decided to use narration and have amplifiers?

Ball in your court.

Well they're not related like that. But here's the thing: If DCI can't afford to have the broadcast on ESPN2 anymore because of rising corps operation costs, can an anticipated legalization of electronics by DCI really be justified from a financial standpoint?

Translation: Another part of drum corps "goes inactive"

I think massively disappointing is a little more appropriate.

It's really an unfortunate testament to our activity that we would even suffer a blow like losing an occasional minor time slot on a second-rate cable station...

I blame the Bush administration and people who stop giving money because of amps :(.

Sorry no sale. We are a "vocal minority" (emphasis mine) remember?

You should be blaming all the hordes of newbies that replaced us legacy fans for not stepping up to fill the gap we left. :P

ESPN airing denotes legitimacy to the layman. If it's aired on the biggest sports network there is, hey, it's got to be serious stuff. ESPN 2, you say? all the better.. DCI wants to attract the younger crowd of X-games-watching people anyway, don't they?

shame it's not gonna happen.. most of the people I know tuned in to watch it this year on my continued prodding. It's much easier to convince people to watch half of a ten-minute show between snacks than to get them to ride along with you in your van to some odd live event 70-some miles away, imo.

I think DCi just lost it's most accessible advertising sector. The interweb might work to an extent.. but you have to know what you're looking for to get it. i'm not just going to happen across a video of the Cadets at Allentown 2008 during my random browsing... odds are much higher that i'll accidentally see corps if it's on TV. The internet is such a broad field that you almost have to go into it already aware.

perhaps a few well-placed msn / yahoo / google ads would be in order?

Agreed

Sarcasm noted. Way to be an ###

Thank you. I'm glad you knew it was sarcasm. But in every sarcastic remark is a hint of the truth. So...for the sake of full disclosure.....I guess I have been resentful ever since the drum corps activity drove off Scott Stewart. What you say? The Madison Scouts fired Scott, not drum corps. Well....here's the connection, in my opinion: The changes to the scorting sheets, weighing the guard more heavily, cascaded onto less reward for shows like the Scouts that were, typically, heavily weighted toward pleasing the crowd - brass heavy. Result - Scouts scores go down, they miss finals, Scott Stewart gone. My opinion - I'm entitled to it. So, the big Scott Stewart vs. George Hopkins views of the future of drum corps circa 10 years ago (drum corps symposium - we've all read it or parts of it), would be declared by most to have gone GH's way. So, here we are, 10 years later, living that vision - amps, narration, model drum corps after BOA, i.e. emulate what works there, etc., ......and, now, no more broadcast. What that tells me is.... the money situation ain't great....

There's my explanation. Conspiracy theory? Looking for GH to blame for each and every problem? Say what you will. I love drum corps, and this is my opinion. Going the way of BOA isn't the model of success for the future, and the cracks in the facade are starting to show.

I would LOVE to see DCI put the money they spent on the ESPN broadcasting fee into their online technology support services: make the webcasts better, attract more paying customers, put more money into DCI.

Not a big loss, IMO. DCI has done a remarkable job bringing their product to more people the last few years (theater broadcast, webcasts, etc), and the TV broadcast isn't as vital as it used to be (especially in it's chopped up "highlights" format). I watch it on TV every year, but perhaps this will get a few more people to drop bucks into their online subscription service.

And if it means no more Delucia commentary, I'm all for it :P

And if it means no more Delucia commentary, I'm all for it :P

I say bring back Cesario ... Now THAT's what I call a personality!