After Watching the 2007 DCI Finals DVDs...

DVDs...  

302 members have voted

1. 1. WHO DO YOU THINK WAS THE REAL CHAMPION AFTER WATCHING THE DVDs???

• Blue Devils
    • The Cadets
    • The Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Carolina Crown
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Knights
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Colts
    • Glassmen
    • Spirt from JSU

BD was definitely one of the cleanest shows, although I have heard a few mistakes in the music, which is understandable. Cavaliers, also very clean, had a few, but I put them as the deserving champions. Visually very clean to me, and had some of the best music all tour in my opinion. The reason why I don't put Cadets its because I heard a few mistakes in there, which caused them to not sound as clean, although more interesting, than BD.

Best Show?

Cavies, Cadets, then BD.

Cleanest?

Ah, probably Blue Devils, with Cavies close, in my opinion.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD was definitely one of the cleanest shows, although I have heard a few mistakes in the music, which is understandable. Cavaliers, also very clean, had a few, but I put them as the deserving champions. Visually very clean to me, and had some of the best music all tour in my opinion. The reason why I don't put Cadets its because I heard a few mistakes in there, which caused them to not sound as clean, although more interesting, than BD.

Best Show?

Cavies, Cadets, then BD.

Cleanest?

Ah, probably Blue Devils, with Cavies close, in my opinion.

it's tough to not voice my disagreement on this one. i feel dci was relatively gracious in giving cavies third. guard was outstanding, though.

Personally, the DVD's confirmed for me why Blue Devils were #1.

Yes, there were a good number of park n' play moments, but I noticed the same thing from The Cadets and The Cavaliers. For instance, up until the closer The Cadets had some of their most frentic drill dutring the drum feature. If you notice, the percussion is standing still most of the time while the corps is sprinting while doing their forms. The Cavaliers had many similar moments in their show as well. They should get credit for their effort and difficulty, but they are still not playing while doing their most difficult drill. I think that we do each show and the activity in general an injustice when we apply a single element as a microcosm of what the show "should" be (i.e. did they run while playing, or did they have the hardest brass/percussion book, or did they "fully" integrate their colorguard with the rest of the corps?)

But what the DVD's have made me ultimately conclude is that the overall manner in which a show is judged is based on staging. Frenetic drill, great brass runs, killer percussion features, amazing rifle tosses...these are elements of an entertaining show, but done the wrong way or at the wrong time or in excess, the show does not translate to the audience and judges well. What I feel made the Blue Devils champions this year (as well as The Cavaliers in 2006 and The Cadets in 2005) was that, more than any other corps in that given year, they mastered the STAGING of their show. The drill, the music, the colorguard, and any entertainment factors in those shows (regardless of speed or degree of difficulty) were all integrated to such an extent that there was nothing performed just for the sake of performing it. And, when looked at in that sense, the judging becomes a little easier to understand.

A great show is not built on fast drill or a killer horn or drum book, nor is it built solely on execution. The best shows do not just incorporate great "how" moments, but know WHEN and WHERE to use ANY elements. Any elements used have to lead the audience and judges somewhere, and in my opinion, the DVD's show that regardless of any criticism of the Blue Devils' visual program being "too slow" or "stale", or of how much they may have aprk n' barked, etc., they did the best job of staging their show and theme.

This is not to say that other corps did NOT have fantastic shows, but that the Blue Devils simply had the best.

For instance, up until the closer The Cadets had some of their most frentic drill dutring the drum feature. If you notice, the percussion is standing still most of the time while the corps is sprinting while doing their forms.

I would really reevaluate the amount of movement the Cadets drumline did during their feature. In the first half, that is some of the most movement with playing I've ever seen in the last 7 year while playing and marching to that tempo. Listen to the percussion tape with the whole, "You guys are flyin"

But what the DVD's have made me ultimately conclude is that the overall manner in which a show is judged is based on staging. Frenetic drill, great brass runs, killer percussion features, amazing rifle tosses...these are elements of an entertaining show, but done the wrong way or at the wrong time or in excess, the show does not translate to the audience and judges well. What I feel made the Blue Devils champions this year (as well as The Cavaliers in 2006 and The Cadets in 2005) was that, more than any other corps in that given year, they mastered the STAGING of their show.

The Blue Devils program is highly dependent on that colorguard for staging. I didn't feel staging was THAT key this particular year as it was in say 2004. Shows that highly depended on their visual effect on staging were shows like Phantom 2006.

Remember staging is just one idea to get the point across visually. It's not the only way. The Cadets didn't have so much staging this year but managed to pull off visual effect with a high, mostly because of speed and continuity with music and visuals.

No, I think it was just about right...

I thought about breaking it down but then people would say I'm ripping the Cadets but then the OP wanted more so...

So some specifics - cadets horn line was vastly over rated, on the big hits they crunched the sound and became shrill, way too much in the upper end, sounded overblown, lacked clean ensemble textures or tones. Drum had a weak book that still had dirt, bass line struggled , pit was lacking. Ensemble music had issues all around. Guard was not their usual standards and could not handle their book smoothly you could see them struggling- no one would use effortless to describe them. Marching forms were a bit sloppy in transitions and did not get clean until the set. Really a down show for them compared to the night before, uninspired and a big drop off – Cavies should have taken them in all performance Regiment in design. Sure, their show looked difficult but they did not really achieve it, they looked and sounded sloppiest of the top 3 at finals - they did not handle their show as well as the other top corps

and based on your postings all summer I'll just assume you made up your mind about all these "specifics" about - oh - early June

"their book looked difficult" - there is evidence of your extreme bias right there.

IT WAS difficult - anyone with an open mind will at the very least admit that. :blink:

For instance, up until the closer The Cadets had some of their most frentic drill dutring the drum feature. If you notice, the percussion is standing still most of the time while the corps is sprinting while doing their forms.

Well I'll agree on the BD was #1 part,. The percussion feature was 108 counts of absolute movement and 38 counts of hold. I know the death star drill during the percussion feature was absolutely some of the craziest drill, but you can't let your eyes blind you to the right side of the field. The Cadets 07 percussion line's design was partly to take movement and playing to the max. So I wouldn't say they were standing still most of the time.

This is not to say that other corps did NOT have fantastic shows, but that the Blue Devils simply had the best.

Well I'll agree with that one.

Yes, I would tend to agree with that. :P

I love all these "who is the REAL champion" threads. In 40 years of drum corps, I have yet to see a fake champion. B)

Fran

agreed

Should be worded more like "who did you like best"... or "do you still agree with the results" or something

Besides - other than GE/drill you can't tell much from the DVD IMO

Yes, there were a good number of park n' play moments, but I noticed the same thing from The Cadets and The Cavaliers. For instance, up until the closer The Cadets had some of their most frentic drill dutring the drum feature. If you notice, the percussion is standing still most of the time while the corps is sprinting while doing their forms.

I had to recheck this on the DVD. I have to put it into perspective that the Cadets had 4 park and play moments, 4 which were all in blue shades, their 2nd tune. These park and blow moments were MUCH shorter too. Blue Devils had 4 in their opener alone, and the ballad well was a lot of standing still, they also included a good amount in their closer as well.

Again, check the numbers out, but I really wish to remind you that the Cadets did not have a ballad. It was 3 incredibly fast paced songs.

I'll say Blue Devils were cleaner and deserved the championship, but I won't deny the Cadets from what I believe to be a much higher rate of risk.

I had to recheck this on the DVD. I have to put it into perspective that the Cadets had 4 park and play moments, 4 which were all in blue shades, their 2nd tune. These park and blow moments were MUCH shorter too. Blue Devils had 4 in their opener alone, and the ballad well was a lot of standing still, they also included a good amount in their closer as well.

Again, check the numbers out, but I really wish to remind you that the Cadets did not have a ballad. It was 3 incredibly fast paced songs.

I'll say Blue Devils were cleaner and deserved the championship, but I won't deny the Cadets from what I believe to be a much higher rate of risk.

You missed the primary point of my post by again focusing solely on the park n' play moments, which is a singular element of the performance as a whole.

My point is that Blue Devils staged their show better than The Cadets did. To me, large portions of The Cadets' show were disjointed. Yes they were fast and difficult, but some parts seemed to be "fast for fast's sake", like The Cadets were trying to cram as much into the show as possible instead of pacing themselves and varying their tempos a little. I think the show lacked a connection with the audience not only because of the narration but because of the constant flurry of movement and/or music. This was one of the examples of overusing elements that can make a show good, and one of the reasons why I thought Blue Devils were better. I was extremely entertained by both Blue Devils and The Cadets, but the pacing and staging of the Blue Devils allowed to appreciate the show not only on its face, but also the nuances. I did not have that same response to The Cadets.

Edited by pags

It must feel great to be the only right one around here. :blink:

On a note of actual reality. . .your bias against shows through so much more than any bias some of us might have for the corps. Your above statement speaks volumes about your lack of credibility.

:worthy: