After Watching the 2007 DCI Finals DVDs...

DVDs...  

302 members have voted

1. 1. WHO DO YOU THINK WAS THE REAL CHAMPION AFTER WATCHING THE DVDs???

• Blue Devils
    • The Cadets
    • The Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Carolina Crown
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Knights
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Colts
    • Glassmen
    • Spirt from JSU

You missed the primary point of my post by again focusing solely on the park n' play moments, which is a singular element of the performance as a whole.

My point is that Blue Devils staged their show better than The Cadets did. To me, large portions of The Cadets' show were disjointed. Yes they were fast and difficult, but some parts seemed to be "fast for fast's sake", like The Cadets were trying to cram as much into the show as possible instead of pacing themselves and varying their tempos a little. I think the show lacked a connection with the audience not only because of the narration but because of the constant flurry of movement and/or music. This was one of the examples of overusing elements that can make a show good, and one of the reasons why I thought Blue Devils were better. I was extremely entertained by both Blue Devils and The Cadets, but the pacing and staging of the Blue Devils allowed to appreciate the show not only on its face, but also the nuances. I did not have that same response to The Cadets.

I dunno Staging is really Visual GE, and Cadets won that 2 nights, by a hair, but again staging is Visual GE and that's what they were praised on all season. Not all visual GE is staging though.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big weekend means... I'll finally get my copy of Sonic Mega Collection back from you? :P

HOLY CRAP!!! I totally forgot about that. God, I hope I didn't lose it.

stupid = corps with the highest score !

Wait, the corps with the highest score is stupid? :blink:

I've never been good at math.

You missed the primary point of my post by again focusing solely on the park n' play moments, which is a singular element of the performance as a whole.

My point is that Blue Devils staged their show better than The Cadets did. To me, large portions of The Cadets' show were disjointed. Yes they were fast and difficult, but some parts seemed to be "fast for fast's sake", like The Cadets were trying to cram as much into the show as possible instead of pacing themselves and varying their tempos a little. I think the show lacked a connection with the audience not only because of the narration but because of the constant flurry of movement and/or music. This was one of the examples of overusing elements that can make a show good, and one of the reasons why I thought Blue Devils were better. I was extremely entertained by both Blue Devils and The Cadets, but the pacing and staging of the Blue Devils allowed to appreciate the show not only on its face, but also the nuances. I did not have that same response to The Cadets.

Well yes I'll agree that The Cadets were trying to cram as much into the show as possible. Sometimes judges and audience members didn't notice some of the stuff being put out there.

2005 Cadets was a constant flurry of movement and music as well, but they seriously maxed out their GE scores compared with the rest. The constancy of music is Music Effect, and they were highly praised on that according to their tape on the disc.

I think you not quite following the categories of judging. All your comments for Blue Devils to be the actual champion are all General Effect material, which they tied with the Cadets in this caption. The Cadets lost by performance captions, and this does not have to do with continuity or staging.

These are where the scores and the champion comes from.

From the DVD, I still voted for BD's show but I have a higher opinion of this SCV show after listening to the designers’ commentary. I thought Weber and Poulan gave us a more in-depth look at their show than any of the others.

We all know crown should have won!!!!!

no. i liked crown and all, but they were in the right spot on saturday nite. i wish people would stop confusing cute and cool with cleanliness and excellence. i thought madison had one of the coolest shows, but they certainly didn't deserve to make finals.

i really dug cadets show, but finals nite rightfully went to the blue devils.. as much as it pains me to say that.

HOLY CRAP!!! I totally forgot about that. God, I hope I didn't lose it.

Eh you probably did, since all you have is the disc. Oh well, I've gotten use to having the empty box on my shelf :P

Anyway, I still haven't seen the DVDs so I can't really weigh in on the topic... But I can say as someone who doesn't really watch much drum corps, that when I do watch it I appreciate all groups more and more especially now that I've aged out.

I do think this thread should have been something like "Which show did you like the best?" I feel it's pointless to debate "who should have won" because you can't change it, but you can change who you think was the best... *shrug*

Edited by DKracing