Toronto Signals Regiment Drum Major

Regret to let you know that the long time drum major for the Toronto Signals Regiment Trumpet Band passed away while on parade. The "Sigs" were the birth corps of Canada's Marching Ambassadors Drum Corps of the late 50's and 1960's. Famous for their "Around the World" theme. They have carried on as an alumni corps for many years and as part of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves in Toronto.

John Longrstreet, 74 years old and member of the corps for 39 years pitched face forward while leading the corps in the Georgetown, Ontario Santa Claus Parade. CPR was performed at the scene and he was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The corps rallied and finished the parade because "that was what John would have wanted".

A sad day for the Sigs.

RIP John Longstreet.

On behalf of the Caballeros Alumni, I would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family of John Longstreet and to the Toronto Signals organization. May he rest in peace.

Regret to let you know that the long time drum major for the Toronto Signals Regiment Trumpet Band passed away while on parade. The "Sigs" were the birth corps of Canada's Marching Ambassadors Drum Corps of the late 50's and 1960's. Famous for their "Around the World" theme. They have carried on as an alumni corps for many years and as part of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves in Toronto.

John Longrstreet, 74 years old and member of the corps for 39 years pitched face forward while leading the corps in the Georgetown, Ontario Santa Claus Parade. CPR was performed at the scene and he was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The corps rallied and finished the parade because "that was what John would have wanted".

A sad day for the Sigs.

RIP John Longstreet.

Dear God I hate to hear this kind of news. On behalf of the Yankee Rebels Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps and myself, I offer sincere condolences for Mr. Longstreet and his family.

On behalf of the Lancers I'd like to extend our sympathy to Johns family and corps mates.

We had the same thing happen to us a few years ago in Maryland. Bravo to the Sigs for finishing the parade. Having been there you just can't describe how hard it is to get back in formation after something like this happens.

And thank you Bruce for letting us know.

A sad day for the Sigs.

RIP John Longstreet.

And a sad day from Drum Corps Worldwide.......

All of us at Mighty St. Joe's Alumni Corps wish to send along our sincerest condolences to Mr. Longstreet's immediate family and his drum corps family with the Toronto Signals Regiment Trumpet Band.

Bruce I'm so sorry to hear of John's passing.

All of GAS will certainly miss him and his legacy to Second Sig's

My sincerest condolences to John's family, the 2nd Sig's, the Marching Ambassadors and all of his friends.

The only real consolation may be that he went the way many of us would wish to. God Bless and keep you John.

J

Jimbalaya's comment about this being the way many of us would like to go struck a chord with me. I had thought of mentioning the same sentiment in my original post. I wonder how many of us, as we age and still love to get on the street or the exhibition/contest field, would sincerely want to be chosen in this manner?

I hope I am not being morbid, but do a lot of us quietly think "That's the way I want to go"?

It's sure hard on the corps I know, but if I know the men and women of the Sigs, I'll bet a few glasses are hoisted in John's honour and a few will be thinking the same thing.

I didn't know John, but I'll bet I've seen him a thousand times during his 39 years with the corps. I have similar thoughts along similar lines. "If you've got to go...is there a better way than when doing what you love".

It sure beats many of the alternatives.