George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

Are there really people out there playing woodwinds that are not capable of learning a brass instrument? Maybe they could learn how to play some pit instruments? Or guard work? I find it hard to believe that there are woodwind players out there that cannot find a way into drum corps if they really wanted to.

They can. They don't, because they don't feel like competing for spots at a disadvantage...which I've already stated in this thread 6 times.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everyone has just ignored my points about woodwinds being impractical to rehearsals in a drum corps environment.

All brass&drums: rehearsal goes on no matter what (except lightning). Woodwinds: stop the practice, get all the instruments out of the weather. And even potentially doing many, many pad jobs on tour.

It's just not feasible or sustainable on tour..

It rains. The woodwinds go in the cases. If they get wet at all, leave the cases open while they dry. Obviously, don't use them during exceptionally dusty rehearsals.

Part of professionalism is learning to overcome obstacles. I'm sure they'll survive without the rehearsal time.

EDIT: What's more, I've marched with woodwinds, 27+ hours a week of rehearsal, outside in Michigan Fall/Winter weather, which is worse than anything tour could ever muster. Never had a single pad job or cracked clarinet.

Edited by HoltonH178

Dear dbc03,

You're right. Especially the part about Hopkins wanting to impress the ticket buying audience, he really does make us top priority.

Sincerely,

Everyone who booed and/or heckled the Cadets for the past 2 years.

Yes, believe it or not the audience is a high priority for George Hopkins.

hmmm...

looking at these poll results so far I can only think that:

"what's popular is not always right... what's right is not always popular"

in that "traditional based entertainment" is a TERRIBLE business-based decision / talk about going the way of the dinosaurs asap

They can. They don't, because they don't feel like competing for spots at a disadvantage...which I've already stated in this thread 6 times.

Are there no Open Class corps that they could find a spot with? Maybe they should set their sights a little lower, given their admitted competitive disadvantage. Not lobby to change the rules.

They just need to get the skills to make the cut and I suspect there are opportunities out there somewhere in drum corps for someone with musical training that demonstrates a dedication to learn the new instrument. This is beginning to sound like they just don't like that they cannot pick up a brand new instrument (to them) and make one of the elite corps out there. Do we really know that Div II/III corps have not been teaching people to play these horns?

in that "traditional based entertainment" is a TERRIBLE business-based decision / talk about going the way of the dinosaurs asap

The issue is changing drum corps to be marching band, when marching band as a competitive endeavor draws less support than drum corps does (to my knowledge, if it does just as well or better then please enlighten me).

Are there no Open Class corps that they could find a spot with? Maybe they should set their sights a little lower, given their admitted competitive disadvantage. Not lobby to change the rules.

They just need to get the skills to make the cut and I suspect there are opportunities out there somewhere in drum corps for someone with musical training that demonstrates a dedication to learn the new instrument. This is beginning to sound like they just don't like that they cannot pick up a brand new instrument (to them) and make one of the elite corps out there. Do we really know that Div II/III corps have not been teaching people to play these horns?

Most of them probably see Open Class as a lateral move from their high school bands at best, so why bother?

Whether or not that perception is correct is another question, but that is probably how they see it.

Most of them probably see Open Class as a lateral move from their high school bands at best, so why bother?

Whether or not that perception is correct is another question, but that is probably how they see it.

Let me make sure I understand this. We should change the instrumentation rules to make it easier for people to join that are already passing on opportunities to learn the instrument within a drum corps?

Are there any other rule changes we can come up with to pacify those who are too arrogant to earn their way in? Maybe rehearsal time limits? Quality of field requirements? Quality of food requirements? Perrier available at all times?

Let me make sure I understand this. We should change the instrumentation rules to make it easier for people to join that are already passing on opportunities to learn the instrument within a drum corps?

Are there any other rule changes we can come up with to pacify those who are too arrogant to earn their way in? Maybe rehearsal time limits? Quality of field requirements? Quality of food requirements? Perrier available at all times?

Well, I'm not a woodwind supporter, so don't look at me :)

Well, I'm not a woodwind supporter, so don't look at me :)

It doesn't seem to be very hard to break down some of the arguments they try to make. If there were so many dedicated woodwind players that really wanted to do drum corps at any cost, every corps would surely be maxed out and be teaching them how to play whatever instrument they could. I bet 'Open Class' would relish the opportunity to teach new instruments to the already musically trained woodwind players. Having figured it out, I cannot understand why anybody would want these kind of people inside their corps with or without a rule change.

I can just imagine this... "Open Class corps suck and I am too good for that. Why don't you just let me play my clarinet in your drum and bugle corps instead?" If I ran a corps, I would write that person's name down and never let them in (even if they did finally become a good horn player.)

Edited by Tekneek