George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

Based on their ideas presented in 1997 to the DCI Executive Committee meeting, summarized here, whose views do you agree with more? Whose plans do you think would benefit the activity most?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we just call these things by what they will end up being? That is ... a popularity content!

If you think that even one in every ten people who votes here read the summarization (or, better yet, the original documents to get the full meaning of the creator) than you are smoking some good sh** there man!

Edited by marshamello

Scott Stewart said: Drum corps cannot operate on the same value system that the rest of our society does.

Good luck with that. That statement reveals the fundamental shortcomings of the Stewart approach.

Build it and they will come won't work in a milieu and a society which already has demonstrated its distinterest. Hopkins has it right. Market your best; and do so with your eyes open to the realities of the market. Look inward at your peril.

What is there even to discuss? Stewart couldn't sell his own board on his concepts. Meanwhile Hopkins was winning championships.

HH

I am a daily reader of DCP and I rarely post responses, but this topic has struck a nerve. In short, there is an obvious need for the governing body to evaluate its business practices, from a purely business point of view, since they are obviously striving to become financially profitable.

Excerpt from link provided:

"Drum corps exists to provide a meaningful, challenging, positive experience to the youthful participants (primarily) and to the fans, supporters and adult staffs (secondarily), through an environment which encourages musical, physical, social and personal growth and the achievement of excellence, utilizing a unique, exciting, tradition-based entertainment form as its vehicle."

While I agree with the majority of that statement, it doesn’t take a MBA degree to realize that "tradition-based entertainment" is a poor business decision. The top 50 companies in the world achieve their continued success by accepting that things change and finding a way to work through the period of change and retain their market.

I heard a CEO summarize it best when confronted with a question that compared him to his predecessor. "I don’t care who came before me, my company doesn’t care who came before me, the time is now, we work in the now, we live in the now..... the company must strive to lead the change in our world, reacting to change means the world no longer needs you (your product)."

I wish the DCI BoD good luck figuring out how to agree to change. But sooner or later you will realize that change is the only constant that is needed in the survival of a business.

I’ll crawl back in my hole now.

Can we just call these things by what they will end up being? That is ... a popularity content!

OK.......ahem......

Hey. This thread is nothing but a popularity content !!!!!