Bus Pushing

Holy smokes........a lot of greats in that Osmond photo, most of whom went on to Archie and Reilly.

Thanks for THAT memory.

Would like to add what a pleasure the flexie's of Blue Rock were........first class accomodations, always reliable and just a pleasure to push.

J

MilwaukeeBus53.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bus #2, SCV, required pushing in order to get it to start, this is 1973.....cut to 2004, on our way to the Rose Parade, bus #2 requires pushing to start...I nearly cried with joy. b**bs

Speaking of pushing vehicles, one of our buses was boxed in once, after a show I think, by a VW bug. We waited an appropriate amount of time (probably about 5 minutes) and then a bunch of baritone players got out and PICKED UP the car and moved it enough so that we could get by!

Bus #2, SCV, required pushing in order to get it to start, this is 1973.....cut to 2004, on our way to the Rose Parade, bus #2 requires pushing to start...I nearly cried with joy. b**bs

And one of my most vivid memories from way back when was when the driver would engage the clutch, step on the accelerator and a plume of black diesel smoke would envelope the guys pushing it! (Yeah, always the "Guys". Must have been a "Macho" thing at the time, :worthy: ). I knew then and there which end of the bus I wanted to be :P .

The day after DCM Championships in DeKalb, Roman Blenski always hosted a picnic for the participants.

There were I&E contests for the talented. For the rest, there were also competitions. A tug-of-war. A pit crew race.

And the big highlight was the bus-pushing contest.

27th Lancers in 86, pushing bus(es) up hills in Pittsburgh!!

I mentioned our buses, (Brookhaven Crusaders), and how bad they were.

In 1970 at VFW Nationals in Miami, we drove down in those buses. Arrived totally beat at the 12 Caesars hotel. 27th was staying there also.

We had just pulled up and checked in and the director of 27th came up to our director and asked to use our buses since they had flown down.

The buses had just traveled from Philly, nonstop, (sort of, can you say, "South of the Border" with a Mexican accent?), with a bunch of teenagers on them. They were disgusting and had no air conditioning. UGH!

2-7 offered to clean the buses out and they did - like ten bags for each bus.

However, we kids went in to sleep for awhile and get something to eat and 27th took our buses. I can't imagine they ever got them started without pushing them. Hadn't thought about that until now. b**bs 27th pushed our buses - what an honor!

Side note: we screwed up our prelim drill and had it not been for a big penalty we would've zoomed up to the mid teens in placement. 1970 - that was a great finals. :)

Our hornlines took turns practicing around the pool. Still remember sitting in front of the hornline while they worked "Classical Gas" -Cool.

Edited by Martybucs

2-7 offered to clean the buses out and they did - like ten bags for each bus.

However, we kids went in to sleep for awhile and get something to eat and 27th took our buses. I can't imagine they ever got them started without pushing them. Hadn't thought about that until now. b**bs 27th pushed our buses - what an honor!

An honor?!?!? Anyone who marched 27th, male or female, has probably pushed a bus, cleaned a bus, and repaired a bus. I remember pushing a bus at 3 o'clock in the morning, somewhere in the middle of the Rockie Mountains, and abandoning my good friend Jimmy DeSab (the driver) somewhere near Vail (Vale??) Colorado, and travelling to the next show on two buses. I stood in the aisle and fell asleep standing up. Nobody had it any better. Those that could fit were three to a seat.

I remember traveling from the west coast to the east coast and usually pushing at least one of four buses almost the entire round trip . I always got a kick out of one bus in particular that would emit a huge cloud of black smoke in the faces of those pushing it once it started. And then there was the time we were returning home from the east coast and one of the buses actually ran out of gas at the City limits. Those were fun times!