Bus Pushing

One year we rented a Winnebago for management and support staff. It broke down in the parking lot where we were leaving Revere. Lots of breakdowns on the road as well. It was referred to as the "Lose-a-bago".

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27th Lancers in 86, pushing bus(es) up hills in Pittsburgh!!

That was 85 if my memory is correct. But then again was so much bus pushing in 27 they all seem to run together.

That was 85 if my memory is correct. But then again was so much bus pushing in 27 they all seem to run together.

Oh please Keith - get a grip. It was every year that we ended up pushing the busses to get them started - it might not have been in Pittsbugh - but like Jimmy Hickey - we pushed them everywhere. I remember the "over the Rockies" push in 76. One of the few times the '04 needed help. I think we coasted all the way home from Colorado.

It wasn't any better in the early 90s. There's was plenty o' bus pushin' when I was in Freelancers, especially in 92, but 93 and 94 had their moments as well. I don't remember pushing any buses in 95 and 96 with Blue Knights, but that may just be selective memory. :bluedevil:

And one of my most vivid memories from way back when was when the driver would engage the clutch, step on the accelerator and a plume of black diesel smoke would envelope the guys pushing it! (Yeah, always the "Guys". Must have been a "Macho" thing at the time, :cool: ). I knew then and there which end of the bus I wanted to be :P .

I am still doing respitory therapy from that...*cough cough* :doh:

The incident I remember was definitely 86.

Not to say of course it didn't happen in 85 as well. Remember a driver forgetting to release the emergency brake, driving for a while, then having to evacuate the bus because of all the smoke??

The incident I remember was definitely 86.

Not to say of course it didn't happen in 85 as well. Remember a driver forgetting to release the emergency brake, driving for a while, then having to evacuate the bus because of all the smoke??

LOL...I remember pushing in 85 and 86... :cool:

I also remember the incident you are talking about....Good times...lol.

Edited by Lancerlady

I'm glad to see there were other corps too who had to push their buses. I used to get embarrassed when our guys had to get out and push the pigs down the street.

I think that was EVERY corps just about!

We were on the way to Miami, either 70 or 71, and we got near these pretty steep hills....we had to all get out of the busses and walk in front of them up the hill to lighten the load as they did not have the umph to make it up with us inside...and the director didn't trust them enough to let us try!

Also remember on long night trips one member on each bus was assigned to sit on the water cooler in front of the bus to chat with the driver so he'd stay awake! Yipes!

I lost track of the numberof times we had to push those "Bluebirds" we had back in 75.... If I remember correctly a clutch let loose in when we were trying to get to a show in Oswego (?) NY same year.... I do recall that it was raining cats & dogs....

Holy smokes........a lot of greats in that Osmond photo, most of whom went on to Archie and Reilly.

Thanks for THAT memory.

Would like to add what a pleasure the flexie's of Blue Rock were........first class accomodations, always reliable and just a pleasure to push.

J

What is that..about a '48 Flxible clipper?