Bluecoats' 2008 Show to Glamorize Violence (IMHO)

Well, maybe negativity, BUT I WILL NOT SIT IDLY BY AND ALLOW MY NONSENSE TO BE REGULATED !!!!! :ph34r:

"....and then when they came for the nonsense, there was no one left to complain ...."

OK...here's the deal I'm willing to strike...you be in charge of all things nonsensical and I will be in charge of all things stupid. Can we agree to draw that distiction?

Or rather is nonsense a subset of stupid? Does that mean you really work for me? That would never do. I pride myself on getting paid as much as possible for the least amount of responsibility. Not that I don't like you or anything, but I do not want to be responsible for the quality of your work.

So, I remain happily stupid!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been the funniest thing reading as so many of you get your undies in a knot. If this announcement had come out from The Cadets, someone would have made the same comments I did and there would be dozens of people writing in agreeing. But because it is written about the Bluecoats, it's blasphamy. Get the point?

You defend the corps you want to defend no matter what they do and you criticize the corps you don't like (or the corps whose directors you don't like) no matter how good the deed they do. There was more negative reaction to the possibility that The Cadets would play the Elergy than there EVER will be about the Bluecoats show concept.

Something is very wrong with this planet we call DCP!!!

Yes - it's called partisanship. So much "righteous indignation" from so many people who, as it turns out, are really just spin-doctoring issues to make their competitors look bad.

I changed my mind. Let's leave this thread open. It has become quite revealing.

OK...here's the deal I'm willing to strike...you be in charge of all things nonsensical and I will be in charge of all things stupid. Can we agree to draw that distiction?

Or rather is nonsense a subset of stupid? Does that mean you really work for me? That would never do. I pride myself on getting paid as much as possible for the least amount of responsibility. Not that I don't like you or anything, but I do not want to be responsible for the quality of your work.

So, I remain happily stupid!

Actually, that might work out becuase I have a general distaste of authority anyway, so even if I did technically work for you I wouldn't pay any attention to you anyway.

As for the difference between nonsense and stupid, I fear given the side you have chosen here that you wouldn't understand my explanation and everyone else listening in would simply dismiss it as ... well ... nonsensical.

I will take you up on your offer of handling all things nonsensical here and leave you to the stupid. Not sure who has the bigger challenge ..... :ph34r:

Okay, I hope this thread doesn't get closed down by personal bashing.

But while we're on the subject, let's also include our thoughts on what a politically correct, civic responsible drum corps show would be.

I'll start.

No rifles. Rifles were originally made for killing people. Period.

No flags. Flags were made for claiming territory that belonged to other people

No sabres. Sabres were made for stabbing people and cutting off heads.

Dancing would be allowed, as long as it doesn't include any martial arts movements.

Drums would have to be caressed and not beaten. Make love, not rudiments. Besides, rudiments are a left-over from military drumming and we know the job of the military is to kill and break things.

We would no longer refer to the brass as bugles as bugles started out as military instruments. Drum Corps International would now be Brass, Percussion and Dance International. No use of the word "corps" is allowed because that too has military implications.

Ensembles would no longer "march" but evolve around the field as marching started from military origins.

In fact, we would no longer use football fields because football is a violent sport. Well, we COULD use football fields if the stadiums we use renounce the use of football and turn over the venues to civic events like music concerts and world awareness festivals.

That means we would likely have to find really big tennis stadiums or move the events indoors to basketball courts. No courts could be used if also used for hockey.

Drum majors would now be solely referred to as music facilitators.

Buses would have to be hydrogen powered, or better yet, converted to run off the fats and oils used for cooking. But corps members would have to sign pledges of becoming vegetarians as eating meat is icky, so there might be difficulty finding enough cooking oil.

We would no longer allow the singing and/or playing of the "Star Spangled Banner" before shows, it the words were written to celebrate a battle and mentions rockets red glare and other violent stuff. This would be replaced with a rcording of "It's a Small World" as heard when one takes the ride at the Disney theme parks.

Competition means one group wins and everyone else loses. We would not declare a champion. All ensembles would gather in finale for a massed group hug.

Are you with me on this, or are you with the terrorists?

The Godfather didn't condone mafia violence, it demonized it. Same thing with a lot of war movies. Just because they contain war scenes doesn't mean that they glorify or condone war.

As far as the Coats show announcement, why would anybody think that a one word show title condones or glorifies anything? It's absurd. Yes, others have jumped to silly conclusions over the Cadets' show announcements. Why not rise above it instead of making more?

But while we're on the subject, let's also include our thoughts on what a politically correct, civic responsible drum corps show would be.

...(list of suggestions snipped for space)...

Actually, not sure we could have marching and/or movement at all because that would be insensitive to physically challenged individuals who may not be able to participate.

And blowing into horns would be insensitive and therefore demeaning to those who have asthma or other lung ailments who would be reminded of their unfortunate predicament if we were "in their face" with it.

So maybe we should just stand there and be silent for 11 1/2 minutes.

But that might be insensitive to those in wheelchairs who cannot stand, so maybe we should sit on the grass.

Oh wait, but then we're back to the thousands of tiny screams as each blade of grass is crushed.

Boy, this is a toughie .....

Maybe everyone should just be encouraged to send a check to DCI to keep this entire insensitive, demeaning and violence inspiring drum corps idiom OFF the field !!!!!

Edited by Liam

It's been the funniest thing reading as so many of you get your undies in a knot. If this announcement had come out from The Cadets, someone would have made the same comments I did and there would be dozens of people writing in agreeing. But because it is written about the Bluecoats, it's blasphamy. Get the point?

You defend the corps you want to defend no matter what they do and you criticize the corps you don't like (or the corps whose directors you don't like) no matter how good the deed they do. There was more negative reaction to the possibility that The Cadets would play the Elergy than there EVER will be about the Bluecoats show concept.

Something is very wrong with this planet we call DCP!!!

To this I reply:

title821.jpg