East Coast Jazz to Remain Inactive for 2008

liebot

why is it better that they decide for the whole season to pack it in, instead of going out and trying to do some hardcore recruiting and see if the numbers increase next month before making a decision? i don't know the situation out there, but how can you get a true feel of your numbers based on one camp? you never know how many Div I cuts will try to get in do you?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. They had over 13 months to recruit for this camp. The end result was 1 brass player. Are you insuating that the corps did no real recruiting during that period of time? What is hardcore anyway?

2. Div 1 candidates that do not make their desired corps rarely move to Div 2 or 3 corps. Sure there are some exceptions, but not as a rule.

3. Continuing on with the process would not be in the best interests of the members that did attend - especially any percussionists looking to get a spot before most corps selection process is complete.

why is it better that they decide for the whole season to pack it in, instead of going out and trying to do some hardcore recruiting and see if the numbers increase next month before making a decision? i don't know the situation out there, but how can you get a true feel of your numbers based on one camp? you never know how many Div I cuts will try to get in do you?

hey, i was just honestly asking about these things. as i said, i don't know what the ECJ situation is, nor the drum corps scene on the east coast. what i said about recruitment was in no way to insinuate that they didn't do any as i'm sure they have, but sometimes (as groups i've been with) need to pound the pavement even harder after showings at camps are not as expected. please understand, nothing in my post is meant as a slight against ECJ or their staff, it's always tough to see any group have to go inactive, and especially harder to see ones have to remain so. I'm not questioning their moves as i'm sure they did their homework on this subject, just asking a couple of honest questions.

This is kind of sad. I know from pictures of past seasons, Revolution didn't turn out with great brass numbers in 2005 or 2007, but they made it work. Wonder why the staff is *to me* just giving up. Yes, I know it is hard to recruit brass, but at least give it til January or February to call it quits.

But then wouldn't people complain they are taking kids money when they know there is a very good chance they won't field again? So then they are forced to give the money back, but then what about the staff that attended all of those rehearsals? They don't get paid?

Reading through this post reminds me of the old days of Saturday Night Live. I believe it was Chevy Chase who used to say, "This breaking news just in... Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

Now, Jane... back to you.

Seriously...ask yourself if another month is going to make the difference.

Very true, though it is very sad, i think most people agree that this is all for the better of the corps.

Every organization needs time to get back on its feet.

For East Coast, we just don't know how much time they need.

This is the best move.

Now, the corps has an opportunity to get all the past unpaid debt retired like a responsible not-for-profit youth organization and work on getting the pieces put back together.

Good luck and for the person who had a camera at audtion camp but "forgot" to take any pictures, it's ok...you can put the camera away for at least another year.

I'll like to start by saying your the biggest dbag in the world.

And to ECJ, I'm not surprised, but I'm disappointed that they just gave up b/c there weren't brass. That's why you recruit. If all those small corps just go inactive b/c camp attendance wasn't desired, then DCI wouldn't have much of an open class. Now if you went inactive for other reasons, then say that.