How many music majors in DCI?

I salute you music majors. Obviously you have gone into music because it's your love. I admire that. Back in the day of rotary phones and popcorn popped on top of the stove, a lot of us baby boomers were steered into fields of study where we could easily find good paying jobs by our depression-era parents. Fields like engineering. Now we work in high paying jobs we dont' like and are miserable and hate ourselves and we end up using outlets like this to vent our angst. Gawd I think I just figured myself out.....

Anyway I really do admire that you are pursuing what you like, vs. what will land you that $$ job, because, all things being equal, music is generally considered a tough field to land work. Hang in there!

thats funny you say that...we just learned in our education class how back in the 60s-70s music programs were so underfunded and not taught well, and how it really messed up music education for a decade or 2...

not really trying to start anything...just making of mention of how it related =\

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this program I have from the past season, 59.6% of marching members of DCI corps are college level kids that are music majors, while 65% of the high schoolers that march intend to pursue music education

I think that sounds about right. In my unscientific observation, most of those music majors are mostly music education majors or BA music (Bachelor of Arts). I haven't seen as much performance, composition, theory, history, etc. I can understand that because their summers could probably be better used by working on something on their fields or going to instrument-specific symposiums/festivals.

Well, my corps has marched a DCI show, but it is mainly a DCA corps. But I am a music major, mainly Education, but hope to perform somewhere. I study tuba >:) at Houston Baptist University, which doesn't have a marching program. But its a really thourough program in all areas (sans marching of course, but hopefully we'll get something soon).

Edited by G_Bass

Music Theory/Comp & Music Ed right here!

Most of the people I have met that are music majors in corps or that have done corps are music ed majors.

I'll be a music major for 7 more days. . . until I graduate with my music ed degree!

When marching there were a good share of music majors but I always seemed to remember there being more non-music folk.

From DCI.org

* Each year, more than 8,000 students audition for the fewer than 3,500 positions available in top-tier DCI member corps

* More than 5,000 members directly participate annually

* 66 percent are male

* Average age is 19.4

* 72 percent are full-time college students

* 59.6 percent of the current college students are pursuing music education degrees, while 65 percent of those that indicated they are high school students intend to major in music education

So multiplying that out, that's 2,145 college students that are music majors, and 910 high school students that want to be music majors. That's give or take a few, but pretty decent numbers.

Not a music ed major, but on that note I thought business will help me more in the field I want to be in, which is absolutely drum corps related!