Rule Proposals

And how long will that take? The band world has had these things for decades. Perhaps the problems are inherent with the usage.

A matter of opinion, period. Electronics have added some great things to shows in the band world.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how long will that take? The band world has had these things for decades. Perhaps the problems are inherent with the usage.

Nope. There have been great band shows to use amps...and some at the other end. It's not their existence, but how well the folks using them understand how to use them. Cadets improved immensely from 05, 06 and 07, IMO, as one example.

Just because they ahve existed someplace for a long time doesn't mean that every use anywhere will be 100% spot on.

Tim Kviz is a Blue Stars parent. It is my guess that Brad Furlano submitted these as a favor to him. I know for a fact that many of the BS staff is VERY progressive when it comes to rules. The brass arranger wrote the 2004 boston show. The pit guy, who used to write for Crown, is a big advocate of amplification. Blue Stars used narration in their 2006 show.

Anyway, none of the repeal proposals will make it to a vote. The instructors caucus is not going take away something they had before. I would go so far as to say that they will pass electronics too.

You can pontificate on DCP all you want, but these things are here to say.

Yes, I was/am a parent when I asked Brad about submitting these rules. Brad and the Board at that time gave it a lot of thought and consideration before agreeing. I don't expect the staff to agree with me, and in fact, I know they do not. I also know from speaking to several instructors from different corps that the decisions to use equipment are driven in large part to "play the game". Consideration of the cost of the equipment they are asking for doesn't really come into play. They just know what they need to be competitive.

These same instructors are the ones that determine whether proposals see the light of day. Proposals that "crimp their creative ideas", yet are fiscally responsible for an activity that lives on a shoe string, is a very backwards approach in my opinion.

I also know from speaking to several instructors from different corps that the decisions to use equipment are driven in large part to "play the game". Consideration of the cost of the equipment they are asking for doesn't really come into play. They just know what they need to be competitive.

A pretty foolish way to run any organization. In an era where we hear the constant cries about high fuel prices and then to read a comment like this makes me wonder how long this activity will survive. :(

I think a lot of these new rules proposals show some design team is out of ideas and lacks creativity otherwise, why such a push for new toys?

Its not for the kids, it’s clearly not for education (anyone concerned about education would not submit such a sloppy proposal), it’s not for the good of the activity - fans are leaving by the bucketful, did you hear the boos?

Greatest hits show followed by a greatest miss show, followed by a cop of a high school show (with a rip of a wgi drumline show too), followed by a gimmick placed a top their rip of Alice in bandland show part 2 then another rip of a high school show buried in meaningless, mindless platitudes just because and now another part 2 -Yeah, real innovative, Not !!!

It you had real talent, real creativity, real innovation – you wouldn’t need to front with props, gimmick and rips from high schoolers, you’d throw down – but we, the real drum corps fans, can see the fakers, those that are just fronting and are well past their ‘sell-by’ date

I think a lot of these new rules proposals show some design team is out of ideas and lacks creativity otherwise, why such a push for new toys?

Its not for the kids, it’s clearly not for education (anyone concerned about education would not submit such a sloppy proposal), it’s not for the good of the activity - fans are leaving by the bucketful, did you hear the boos?

Greatest hits show followed by a greatest miss show, followed by a cop of a high school show (with a rip of a wgi drumline show too), followed by a gimmick placed a top their rip of Alice in bandland show part 2 then another rip of a high school show buried in meaningless, mindless platitudes just because and now another part 2 -Yeah, real innovative, Not !!!

It you had real talent, real creativity, real innovation – you wouldn’t need to front with props, gimmick and rips from high schoolers, you’d throw down – but we, the real drum corps fans, can see the fakers, those that are just fronting and are well past their ‘sell-by’ date

:lol::cool::lol: Very well put!!! :cool::santa::cool:

but 11 minutes ISN'T enough time to develop a wind ensemble piece, that it is why most band lit is total trash, the composers are trying to throw in every compositional and orchestration trick in their bag in a single 10 minute piece thus almost all sound forced and frankly, the same, and the few wind band works that are on comparable quality of orchestral works tend to be multi-movement longer pieces. The same could be said about the majority of drum corps shows.

I'm sorry, this is just wrong. And there are literally thousands of examples of orchestral program works that clock in around 12 minutes or less by some of the most famous composers of all time. It is ENTIRELY possible to develope a thematic idea in 12 minutes.

I don't see why amplification of brass is necessary at all, personally.

If the age limit passed, I'd age out in 2010 instead of 2009. Crazy thought. I wonder if we'll just keep pushing it back and back and back...I know I was kind of hoping that I'd get on a staff somewhere after aging out to help buoy some of my serious college debt. Kinda makes me less-than-enthusiastic about this proposal, and I wonder if there are some who feel the same way.

I don't see many of these proposals passing, however...

I hate to tell you, but you'd make more money working full time at a McDonalds...............................unless you were planning on writing the brass book, being a caption head, or something along those lines.

At the entry level, you do it for the experience and love of the activity, not financial gain.

A matter of opinion, period. Electronics have added some great things to shows in the band world.

Again, a matter of opinion. :cool:

Not if GH gets his way.................he wants brass amplified also!

What about a proposal for the amplification of the water effect???? Maybe for implementation in 2010!

I agree with the poster who spoke about George creating advantage for his crew, but I think it's for reasons other than the 'head start' that getting one of his pet proposals into the regs. And I also disagree with the 'leadership' issue, at least as it relates to drum corps as a whole.

People tout George as a visionary, and he is, but I think he's also very pragmatic. Some of his recent proposals have increased the cost of participation in the activity for corps - 150 member rule, amplification, etc. I believe he's less interested in the total good of the activity than he is in creating a competitive advantage for the Cadets and the other corps that can afford it. Many of his proposals serve to 'pull up the ladders' for the top corps that can better afford to field the changes.

The age limit increase works the same way. The top corps benefit more from this change than do corps who are struggling to get to 18 or 19 as an average age. Competitive advantage to the 'big boys'.

If the water effect rule change goes into effect, how will George feel about the Executive Director of the corps following the Cadets putting on a hissy fit about a wet field, and causing a ten minute delay to have the field dried out, and relined??? Or, better yet, would he do the same thing if the corps performing before them left a wet field - we have empirical evidence to suggest he would.

Also, would indoor venues be open to water cannons being fired off? I think one of the advantages to domed stadiums was that water wasn't an issue on the field. Artificial turf would get mighty slick when wet, I'd guess.

Finally, George's pragmatic side knows that if he throws out five or six rules (some absurd) - one of them might stick (the one he most wants anyway).

Good for Tim Kviz!!

Best post of the week!