Rule Proposals

Okay here is what I think.

- Raise the age limit by ONE year: :devil:

-Allowing use of water in show: :devil:

-Use of Electronic Instrments in 09 :devil::thumbup: (only because its going to happen sooner or later and I like what HS Bands are doing as far as sampling and such go)

-Amping the brass in 09 :devil::spitting::laughing: Not a fan of that (I know he is thinking during solos and such, but good luck getting that off the ground)

-Limiting the amplification to just the pit(ie banning amped voice) :whistle: Look I think to many corps are going to nix this only because they might consider it taking a step back.

that is all.

babyarm.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the complaints regarding the quality of amplification at DCI events, I can hardly see this is a step in the right direction...maybe even more like an intentional hindering.

On a side note, I find it interesting that DCI put out personal phone numbers and e-mail addresses on such public forms. I wonder if anyone will be getting strange phone calls in the middle of the night?

Only the people who are extremely sorry would do that.

I think people are misintrepreting one possibility of the brass amp proposal...I would be in favor of amplifying ENTIRE hornlines and having them play at max volume just to see how far away a corps could shatter windows, loosen masonry, cause dogs to howl, and any other misc. sonic destruction. :devil:

And I would only be in favor of water if fire was allowed as well. In which case we'd be glad to have the water.

Edited by troon8

i say the GE proposal's cool

i think the percussion 2 proposal should not be passed, but it should be looked into. Hopkins makes some good points that are actually kinda true. don't get rid of percussion 2, but DO re-evaluate music ensemble and perc 2. get specific and make sure they do what they're s'posed to.

extra year sounds good too

i LOVE getting rid of amping voice. only pit instruments should be amped.

extra time is interesting to me, but only if it eliminates stuff before the show ACTUALLY starts (i.e. the drum major starts conducting AFTER the "is the corps ready?" salute)

for everything else: HELL no!!!!

Edited by Gbassman5

My opinions on each rule:

Double judges: Yes. It's wishful thinking, but maybe this will curve some people and their "so and so corps' show design was way better then so and so's".

22: Indifferent. I've aged out of the activity and am now on the staff side. I can see how this would help those music majors that age out before they've completed school. If you're into the whole "corps is a valuable learning experience thing", then this prob works for you.

water: This is fine as long as there is a penalty and clean-up system in place so performers in following corps aren't hurt. I'm always in favor of expanding what can be used for the designer's toolbox.

1 extra show minute: Hell yes. Especially if it means more developement of theme, concept, or *gasp* music!

amped brass: No. Just like with amps period, this can be used for good or evil. Just like an amps can be used tastefully, like to bring forward subtle and quiet rythms in the pit (like snapping fingers al la 007) or for singing (crown, cadets.) So too can amped brass. But, I think the negatives in this case far outweight the possible positives. Amped instruments should be reserved for woodwinds and BOA.

electronic instruments: No. This is just a back door to woodwinds. It may be a midi synth saxophone, but a saxophone none the less.

percussion 2 judge: Indifferent.

sound board: hell yes. Let's face it people, amps are here to stay. So, why not get a little more balance and blend out of it.

narration removal: Yes. I'm fine with narration. I'll just go get a beer. But, when wondering how narration is judged we're on slippery ground. Yes, it is general effect. But what about singing? Either define the judging or remove it all together.

amplification removal: No. I believe that amplification can be a great tool for certain aspects. I say we fix what we have. Remove voice from amplification and add sound boards for balance and blend.