Rule Proposal 2008-10

Rules 2008  

424 members have voted

1. 1. Amplification may not be used (2009)

• No; amplification remains as is
    • Yes; amplification is eliminated for 2009

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these aren't necessarily your arguments but I'm gonna say what I have to say using them.

The major reasons, without elaborating too much are:

Amplification changes the soundscape. Reinforced sound passes through electronics and are not reproduced naturally. It removes frequencies that cannot be replicated, and often makes the amplified instrument sound unnatural.

Honestly, after listening to "On Air", Phantom's pit sounds pretty natural to me.

That's just one example, but almost every pit I've heard amplified sounds "natural".

And to me it almost seems more natural than unamplified because you wouldn't be able to hear all of the subtle nuances of an un-mic'd pit playing at the same dynamic levels.

Amplification equipment cannot be done effectively on the drum corps level. The cost, wear, and elemental forces on equipment don't make them a cost-effective purchase. Failure rates of equipment have been very high on the field over the first several years.

To say that it can't be done effectively is just a ridiculous statement, because it has been done very effectively the past few years.

Vocal amplification has been an unnatural addition to the soundscape.

I'm fine with no vocals, it's just percussion I'm worried about.

Amplification adds costs for corps to "keep up" competitively; costs that many corps cannot afford.

This is the best argument that I don't have a response for.

This won't pass. Amplification of the pit was a very musically advancing addition to drum corps. The people in charge know this.

Front ensembles are now able to use things like natural rosewood bars on their instruments because they don't have to beat the hell out of them to be heard. The sound quality of pits these days is amazing.

Most people are ignorant to many things about pits. Before amps, kids in the pit literally had to use a completely different technique to produce enough sound. It was bad for their hands, and completely irrelevant to any other performance situation they would be in. You don't play keyboards and timpani like DCI did before amplification. It was hard to play any dynamic other than FFF and be heard. This is why amplification was proposed. This is why

nearly every world class director voted for it.

As for the money argument....OK....some corps use props. Some corps may not be able to afford props. What if one corps could not afford 3 differnt flag silks for a show? Would it be unfair for any other corps to use more than one silk?

No. Its never going to be a level playing field.

Edited by Bones758

This won't pass. Amplification of the pit was a very musically advancing addition to drum corps. The people in charge know this.

Front ensembles are now able to use things like natural rosewood bars on their instruments because they don't have to beat the hell out of them to be heard. The sound quality of pits these days is amazing.

Most people are ignorant to many things about pits. Before amps, kids in the pit literally had to use a completely different technique to produce enough sound. It was bad for their hands, and completely irrelevant to any other performance situation they would be in. You don't play keyboards and timpani like DCI did before amplification. It was hard to play any dynamic other than FFF and be heard. This is why amplification was proposed. This is why

nearly every world class director voted for it.

As for the money argument....OK....some corps use props. Some corps may not be able to afford props. What if one corps could not afford 3 differnt flag silks for a show? Would it be unfair for any other corps to use more than one silk?

No. Its never going to be a level playing field.

I agree that this won't likely pass. But what it could do is create a damper for the other proposal - making it seem like more of a compromise. Even the other one will be hard to pass but perhaps not impossible. THIS one...IMPOSSIBLE. BUT, it still took BIG HAIRY BALLS to put it up for proposal.

I don't like rule proposals that limit everyone from doing what they want.

Oh what a brilliant way of thinking.

- What if I said I didn't want football to have any rules that limited a player from doing what they want? What kind of a fair sport would we have then?

Oooh. Oooh. Wait I got a better one.

- What if I said I didn't want any laws that limted people from doing what they want? Criminals would LOVE that wouldn't they.

Okay, back to the topic. Drum corps is a competitive activity. There HAS to be rules and limitations if it's going to be fair. If you want a to do what you want in the marching arts, start an exhibition only group and "do what you want". Drum corps CAN'T function FAIRLY as a compeititive activity without rules, regulations and limitations. That is NOT an opinion either - it's a FACT!

i wish we could do a poll of the actual BoD...

Oh what a brilliant way of thinking.

- What if I said I didn't want football to have any rules that limited a player from doing what they want? What kind of BIG HAIRY BALLS would we have then?

Oooh. Oooh. Wait I got BIG HAIRY BALLS.

- What if I said I didn't want any laws that limted people from doing what they want? Criminals would LOVE BIG HAIRY BALLS wouldn't they?

Okay, back to the topic. Drum corps is a competitive activity. There HAS BIG HAIRY BALLS if it's going to be fair. If you want a to do what you want in the marching arts, start an exhibition only group and "do what you want". Drum corps CAN'T function FAIRLY as a compeititive activity without BIG HAIRY BALLS. That is NOT an opinion either - it's a FACT!

I was alarmed by the lack of repetitive statements, so I fixed it for you.

Although I'm pretty sure the post you quoted was sarcasm.