Movement

Musical_Spinner

Within modern dance, I would love to see more kinetic choreography.

I think Avon was on the right track with it last year, although their show didn't have a lot of it, as well Braddock Indpendent this year.

When I first saw this style of dance on TV or reels, I was a little skeptical, but it's really grown on me over the years past few years.

It still hasn't fully been explored or developed within our activity, but it's definitely something that's "out of the box" and stunning when executed correctly - especially by an ensemble!

I'm not the most educated in movement and admittedly, pretty young, so I apologize if my terminology is leaving you confused.

If I could use any choreographer as a reference, I would say:

Mia Michaels [Contemporary]

^ I love showing this group doing Mia's choreo., because this little girl is killin' it!

or

Matt Cady [Hip-Hop]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIbx56_26RM

Thanks for reading!

I would also like to see more integration of hip-hop--not break dancing-- in its modern form in the colorguard world.

We've used some of the more kinetic/frantic movements in our show this year, and are hoping to expand on that as our choreographer is coming back next week to tweak what we have and add more of this movement to our program.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw,if you haven't already,you must see "rize" a documentary film about dance by artist david lachapelle.

worth repeating! :angry:

Mia Michaels [Contemporary]

^ I love showing this group doing Mia's choreo., because this little girl is killin' it!

Same combo as in the quote. Just in general for dance, you have to internalize the rhythm. This orange shirted girl

has that rhythm extremely internalized which allows her to follow through on every move and every phrase. Her shaping

of the timing is extraordinary and while this style isn't particularly suited for wgi and the demand of cleanliness within it,

she is still worth mentioning.

More guards could stand to internalize the rhythm, doing so will help improve the dancers movements in that, if you internalize

from the inside out, the movement will seem natural and have more presence which will project to the judges/audience.

In a word: Bartenieff.

If youve seen avon and centergrove this year you will see what i mean. they both really stand out from the rest as movement is a huge part of both programs, in very different ways, yet both amazing! And both setting standards. without a ballet vocabulary to speak of in most of the choreography.

this is very interesting, bc the same person writes the movement at both schools. Jenn House writes there as many as some other schools and independent guards and has taught me for many years. Shes for sure got some modern up her sleeve! shes an amazing teacher too! look out for her!

i recently had the opportunity to interview mrs. jennifer house-hinshaw and have enormous respect for her talent & commitment to dance in the color guard activity! :cool: