Movement

Musical_Spinner

let us pay special attention to and credit that group who finds new ways to use the body to create color guard either via equipment manipulation,partnering or expressive musical interpretation. :smile:

let us chide and admonish those instructors who try to get their woefully unprepared performers to do things they see on SYTYCD without remotely training the kids to acheive the skills. :thumbdown:

Edited by dugg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the pilobolus dance theater continues to delight and amaze me with their creativity and wonderfully unique aproach to movement,if you haven't already i encourage you to seek them out!

Complexity and relationships, it's what Trisha Brown is doing in NY. HEAR THAT WGI!

TRI-SHA BR-OW-N

If everyone was inspired by her wgi movement would be incredible.

thanks for bringing this great artist to our attention!

as many of you know trisha brown came out of the judson church movement and was a member of the judson dance theater in the sixties before she created her own company.she helped to pave the way for radical change and was very influential in expanding the possibilities of the vocabulary of dance.definately something our designers should think about!

btw,twyla tharp and her company were rehearsing at judson church in 1967 when an indignant janitor asked her how could she possibly dance on a sunday to which she replied ever righteous in the cause of art "how dare you interupt a bunch of broads doing god's work"! :laughing:

Edited by dugg

• 1 month later...

yes indeed!

i would love to read an interview from jennifer hinshaw-house or michael james as well! :lol:

the pilobolus dance theater continues to delight and amaze me with their creativity and wonderfully unique aproach to movement,if you haven't already i encourage you to seek them out!

A few of their dancers came to Winthrop a few years ago and gave a master class. It such a great experience.

I love that so much of what becomes amazing dance starts as collaborating and experimenting.

tonight on PBS,"jerome robbins;something to dance about"!

tonight on PBS,"jerome robbins;something to dance about"!

But before that American Masters program: (at least on my PBS station) Marvin Gaye

... and yes, I am aware that Marvin Gaye has nothing to do with this thread. But man, was he a singer!

Edited by David Hill

Within modern dance, I would love to see more kinetic choreography.

I think Avon was on the right track with it last year, although their show didn't have a lot of it, as well Braddock Indpendent this year.

When I first saw this style of dance on TV or reels, I was a little skeptical, but it's really grown on me over the years past few years.

It still hasn't fully been explored or developed within our activity, but it's definitely something that's "out of the box" and stunning when executed correctly - especially by an ensemble!

I'm not the most educated in movement and admittedly, pretty young, so I apologize if my terminology is leaving you confused.

If I could use any choreographer as a reference, I would say:

Mia Michaels [Contemporary]

^ I love showing this group doing Mia's choreo., because this little girl is killin' it!

or

Matt Cady [Hip-Hop]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIbx56_26RM

Thanks for reading!