Skin conditions

So, here's my problem - I have very fair skin, and it seems like no matter what kind of sunscreen I put on, I always get badly sunburned. For instance...this summer, I attended a week-long camp with The Cavaliers. Every day, I put on a sunscreen with an SPF of 70. By the fourth day of the camp, I had sun poisoning on my face and ears, and bad sunburns on my arms and legs. And that was just one week! I'm thinking about seeing a doctor soon to figure something out about this, but are there any other fair-skinned folks here who have had to deal with this problem before?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, SPF 70 is quite a high number. I've heard you shouldn't put anything on more then 30.

Also, stay away from the spray ons, as much as I love them because they don't get your hands greasy, they don't work as well since I've seen a lot of people forget to spray a certain area, and then its a burn.

I think drum corps might not be for you, unfortunately. You've got to be able to handle sun every day, for 90 days.

Ouch. That's a confidence-breaker. It's not like I go running off the field as soon as I feel a burning sensation. At that camp I mentioned, I was trying to get back on the field every chance I could get. I can march with bad sunburns, it's just...I'd like to figure out a way not to burn so quickly, y'know?

First, SPF 70 is quite a high number. I've heard you shouldn't put anything on more then 30.

Also, stay away from the spray ons, as much as I love them because they don't get your hands greasy, they don't work as well since I've seen a lot of people forget to spray a certain area, and then its a burn.

I don't normally use the spray-ons as my primary method. And I've never heard that "nothing more than 30" thing before. Who did you hear it from?

I'd say look into underarmor-type longsleeve shirts (i have a bunch of these, walmart or target brand work fine and are only like 10 dollars a shirt), i dunno if they have full leg stuff... It blocks the sun, but also keeps you pretty cool. As for your face, if the corps allows it I'd recommend a full brim hat, or you can fashion a head wrap out of a shirt (as a member this year did, earning him the nickname of "ninja pat")

So, here's my problem - I have very fair skin, and it seems like no matter what kind of sunscreen I put on, I always get badly sunburned. For instance...this summer, I attended a week-long camp with The Cavaliers. Every day, I put on a sunscreen with an SPF of 70. By the fourth day of the camp, I had sun poisoning on my face and ears, and bad sunburns on my arms and legs. And that was just one week! I'm thinking about seeing a doctor soon to figure something out about this, but are there any other fair-skinned folks here who have had to deal with this problem before?

Hmmmm....two questions for you. How long before you're out in the sun do you put the sunscreen on? Secondarily, how often do you re-apply sunscreen during the day?

Peace,

CuriousMe

Edited by CuriousMe

Hmmmm....two questions for you. How long before you're out in the sun do you put the sunscreen on? Secondarily, how often do you re-apply sunscreen during the day?

Peace,

CuriousMe

Well, to answer your first question, I'll usually put it on anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes before I'm in the sun. As for how often...well, going back to the camp, I'd usually re-apply it after lunch, and then...I don't remember reapplying it after dinner much, since by the time we were heading outside, there wasn't really enough sun out to do any considerable damage.

Well, to answer your first question, I'll usually put it on anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes before I'm in the sun. As for how often...well, going back to the camp, I'd usually re-apply it after lunch, and then...I don't remember reapplying it after dinner much, since by the time we were heading outside, there wasn't really enough sun out to do any considerable damage.

I only asked because I used to get terribly burned SCUBA diving in the Caribbean, despite wearing sunscreen (I used to live and work on a cruise ship, so had a great tan, but strong sun, while on the water would still get me). I then found out that sunscreen isn't effective for the first 30-40 minutes you wear it. I also found out (through trial and error) that even with waterproof sunscreen, I needed to apply it every two hours when wet or sweating a lot for it to be effective.

For surviving corps, I'd definitely recommend a wide brimmed hat and sunscreen in a bag around your waist for consistent touch-ups. Depending on the temp outside, the body-armor may work, although truthfully.....I couldn't imagine wearing a long sleeve t-shirt while practicing.

Peace,

CuriousMe