Where in the USA should a new corps be?

Where in the USA should a new corps be?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Regions of US

• Midwest
    • South
    • West
    • Northeast

From what I hear/know, things are heating up in Las Vegas. Visit http://lasvegasmarchingarts.com/

Apparently, Nevada has never hosted a drum corps show, or fielded a corps before, and the way things are structured politically, and just the general atmosphere of non-believers makes this an uphill battle for the folks getting this going. So, if you believe in spreading the mission of drum corps, and can offer your assistance/advice/encouragement, check in with Randy Warner et al. They're trying to do it right, and they're trying to do it smart, so hopefully once they're out there on the field, they'll stay out there.

That's something we could use a lot more of. :thumbup:

Wasn't there going to be a show in Vegas a few years ago that ultimately fell through?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I hear/know, things are heating up in Las Vegas. Visit http://lasvegasmarchingarts.com/

Apparently, Nevada has never hosted a drum corps show, or fielded a corps before, and the way things are structured politically, and just the general atmosphere of non-believers makes this an uphill battle for the folks getting this going. So, if you believe in spreading the mission of drum corps, and can offer your assistance/advice/encouragement, check in with Randy Warner et al. They're trying to do it right, and they're trying to do it smart, so hopefully once they're out there on the field, they'll stay out there.

That's something we could use a lot more of. :thumbup:

Not entirely accurate actually. The Nevada Silver Stars were around a few years ago competing in Division 3, and there have been shows in northern Nevada a few times (I've marched at one).

Wasn't there going to be a show in Vegas a few years ago that ultimately fell through?

Ya, it was 02 or 03. Our college stadium has a problem with double booking and canceling on the one who brings in less money at the last minute. A few kids in this district at least got to see some corps rehearsing. Desert Fire is working on getting one here for 2009 and doing it at a high school.

Winter Brass Rehearsal #2 is today...on our way to fielding a corps! Check out Desert Fire

I agree. Canada is now on an even level dollarwise, so finances may now be the same as all others. When the Canadia dollar was at $ 0.66 to the American dollar, that was a pretty stiff differential to absorb...

I'll go with that. There used to be a ton of Canadian corps (the Oakland Crusaders were my favorite). I wish DCI had more of them.

Everywhere!

In terms of the number of actve corps, drum corps is just a shadow of what it used to be.

I definitely think it's the South. There are clear presences among the West, Midwest and East with the Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets. I'm still surprised that there's not a major corps based in Texas (no offense Crossmen). I'm talking Top 5 caliber. Florida?

:ph34r: Give em(The Crossmen) time, I am sure they will be moving up the DCI ladder this year!!!! Just glad that they are still here for me to enjoy and share with my Family and their many Fans. Best wishes to the Crossmen and Staff for the New Year!!! :tongue:

initially i thought northeast/anywhere on the east coast, no brainer. there's one top 5 corps in an area that spans over a dozen states. but on further thought, there's not much of a demand for corps up there because a majority of the DCA circuit spans the same area....a lot of kids who would have had the opportunity to march a DCI corps like the Crossmen because they didn't necessarily have the ability or experience to march a corps like the Cadets, have instead chosen to march in the big all age corps (bushwhackers, buccaneers, cabs, statesmen) for most or all of their marching career. it was happening before the crossmen made the move.. probably a large part of why they moved..

this is of course assuming that the florida..err.. boston crusaders aren't really centralized in boston anymore.

for the record - i'd be fully willing to help a start up corps in hawaii. as long as we don't leave... :tongue:

For your information the Crossmen were sold because YEA did not want them anymore. I don't think the Crossmen had any problems getting kids to march. The kids who chose to march the all age corps did so because of several different reasons. Cost and time commitment of joining a DCI corp are two reasons that I can think of. You are making an assumtion that the kids in the Crossmen were less able and less experienced than the kids in the Cadets, and assuming that they would rather march in an All Age Corps than to march in the Crossmen. This is probably how most drum corp fans feel about the Crossmen but it is not true. The Crossmen where never the feeder corp to the Cadets as some of you may think. Just another corp that YEA owned.

I think we need more from Yea, USA. Wherever the hell that is.

It's YEA, Pennsylvania, not YEA, USA. Get it right, dumb***.

[/sarcasm]

Kind of funny marching Crossmen this year. We got announced as being from YEA, PA; Allentown, PA; San Antonio, TX; YEA, TX and I'm sure some other places. Allentown was actually the first show we were announced as being from Texas.