god bless the field liners?

Ahhh, fresh dew-filled mornings, the sun beaming down on your face,

its breakfast time in drum corps world,

you have an uneasy feeling because your paint covered fingers are the same ones shoveling those biscuits and gravy into your mouth....hope this stuff isnt toxic..

anyway, we all know the Quick-Stripe - triangulated - pull the rope kind of field lining that goes on...so I got to wondering if maybe some people do it another way...

has anyone out there come across any different or unusual ways to line a field?

Does every corps and band do it the same way??

the only thing i can think of is when we use soap on asphalt, which makes things interesting if it starts to rain....:)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway, we all know the Quick-Stripe - triangulated - pull the rope kind of field lining that goes on...so I got to wondering if maybe some people do it another way...

the only thing i can think of is when we use soap on asphalt, which makes things interesting if it starts to rain....:)

The old 3-4-5 works best for me...

We use caulk on Asphalt....

I've never seen this done, but I've heard stories about paint crews who tie ropes together connected with washers (or something like washers), so that the outside lines of the field are already marked with gaks and yardlines. Then all the paint crew has to do is well, paint it. no measuring!!!

I always thought it would be pretty easy to put together a laser thing that you just paint over...no strings involved. If you've ever seen those levels that use lasers, imagine just a bunch of those. They are the cool ones that can go around corners.

Don't think anyone actually does this though.

Scaffolding crew is worse.

Mwahaha I was never on scaffolding crew. But a dude I marched with in '06 fell from the top of our scaffolding all the way down through to the bottom (about a 20 foot drop), hitting all kinds of metal poles along the way. He was shaken up, but ultimately ok. We laughed. (after we made sure he was ok)

Good times. I miss that year.

I was a bus loader that year. And actually have been a bus loader every summer I've marched (in 3 different corps). I think it might just be a bass drum thing. I've actually been curious if most drum corps had bass drums bus load, or if it was just a coincidence that I landed that job all 3 years. Any insight?

Comparitively though, I'd much rather bus load than be on field lining or scaffolding crew. <shudder> Many a time field liners go with no floor time. Right off the bus to the field and by the time they finish, it's breakfast time. Terrible.

how about this:

field lining strips

I've heard that the Ravens band uses something like this so they dont mark up the parking lot, though I am not sure how well it would work with a competitive marching unit...seems like there would be a significant trip factor...

Also has anyone ever used some type of dry line...kinda like foul lines in baseball?

bluecoats have a really complicated-looking system that saves a lot of time and energy but i dont know how it works. never had to line a field (or do anything with scaffolding) before. maybe someone else can post about it, i dont know how secretive or anything they are about it.

I was a bus loader that year. And actually have been a bus loader every summer I've marched (in 3 different corps). I think it might just be a bass drum thing. I've actually been curious if most drum corps had bass drums bus load, or if it was just a coincidence that I landed that job all 3 years. Any insight?

the bass drums where I marched loaded the perc bus.

scaffolding is terrible. Disasters waiting to happen with people falling through/off and the risk of dropping it/have it tip over.

Worse when the staff tells you the wrong field to put it on, or needs it moved before the next block, which of course takes 20 minutes out of your lunch. :satisfied: And then if they ask why you are late, because of their fault... I am beyond ######## at that point, and no yelling at all at me will make me move faster.

Or in 06 when we moved it 7 times in one day :beer::santa::beer::ph34r::santa:

When i marched gold the field lining crew (6 of us) could line a field in about 10-15 minutes...with only 2 ropes and paint...

I think the washer idea is great..and make sense....as long as some idiot doesn't get it tangled up.