Phantom 07

HULKA -- ya must have been listening/watching "Buccaneers" -- they march 'Dynasty' don't they? I THINK that's what they had when in exhibition in Allentown this past year at DCI East. THEY DID make em' sound #### good I must say. They are (Bucs) simply a notch above the rest of the DCA coprs the past 3 years. Percussion and emsemble contributing largely to that.

Can't wait for 08, and in 2009 -- pending Dr's approval (after having neck surgery) will try and march 'Buccaners' -- God Willing!

Regiments pit was absolutely FANTASTIC last year. OMG! I watched their rehearsal at their housing site for DCI East in NJ and they were incredible -- nothing short of spectacular, and, if my figuruing and notes I have are correct -- almost all of the pit/emsemble are (or most) returning. I can't wait to see what they do with ANY rendition/pieces of SPARTACUS regarless of who the percussion supplier is/will be

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh -- And it's my OPINION ONLY that Regiment should have won percussion a 2nd year.

What a LAME, seemingly funny comment by the perc judge in the ESPN broadcast: "wow.... what control, what technique!" as BD played the same passages over & over while doing their dips and sways. Gosh, I'll agree I am not a drummer - but a professor of percussion studdies was sitting in my liiving room watching same broadcast and said same thing to me! BTW -- this person is on staff at a major, well known university here in PA and actually teaches percussion under a Masters Degree.

I think HE would know what was meant by : playing same passages over & over while moving. Gee, and isn't that what drum corps on a whole demands? Playing while moving? Or, is it just inclusive to the percussion line standing still while "juking and jiving:" one move at a time? Gee you tell me!

I will say that regiment is gonna go head to head, (pun INTENDED) flam to flam with BD and others using 'Dynasty'. The true test amongst the big guns will see the same equipment being used, but the effect and the ultimate challenge will be in the different writting skills and teaching that come into play here.

IT WILL BE INTERESTING! Lets see how the judges score regiment THIS year =---= My guess? They will still be lower than their counterparts regarless of how well they play or the fantastic parts written for them.

In Regiment's percussion history -- this has always been ONE of their achilles heels. Rennick and gang turned that 360 in 2005 & 2006. 2007 was stellar -- but the judges were hell bent on seeing that BD won the whole 'kit & caboodle' for their 50th anniversary.

PLEASE READ .... STOP.... & RE-READ THE FOLLOWING 2-3 TIMES BEFORE FLAMING:

Blue Devils pulled out an amazing performance on finals night -- when it truly counts for the WHOLE BALL OF WAX, but I do, along with countless others, feel they were beat in percussion by Regiment -- In Quarters they were a judged higher and even a p[ercussion announcer - who is ledgendary in his own right, said "they were 2nd in percussion last night -- 2nd in brass -- they should defend their percussion title tonight". I've looked at the recaps and it's amazing the change from QTRS, SEMI'S and FINALS where BD & PR were/are concerned.

Take a look... it's there in black and white

Ok, since I mentioned the B & W -- here are links to the TWO (2) night comparison of which I speak:

FINALS (BD: 9.80 9.90 19.70 9.90 9.80 19.70 19.70 29.550 98.000)

(PR: 9.70 9.30 19.00 9.80 9.80 19.60 19.30 29.100 94.850)

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?e...4a-825945e7124b

QTR'S (BD: 9.70 9.70 19.40 9.70 9.70 19.40 19.40 29.300 97.200)

(PR: 9.70 9.60 19.30 9.50 9.80 19.30 19.30 28.750 94.600 )

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?e...c4-8f6659d07536

======================================================================

Blue Devils a FULL 3 pts above regiment? PLEEEEEZZZEEEE!!!!! MY GOD! What could they (judges) possibly have seen/heard to have them (PR) crushed in such a spead? Nothing other than that of my feeble, unschooled non-percussion opinion I guess. Oh well, old news, old opinions --- 2008 wil be a new ballgame fo' sure!

HULKA -- ya must have been listening/watching "Buccaneers" -- they march 'Dynasty' don't they?

Yep, Bucs is one them. They know a thing or two about playing well, too. :shutup: Cabs and Brigs and some pretty sweet sounding drums too, also using Dynasty.

http://www.bknights.org/scores/head2head.a...mp;SubmitBtn=GO

Phantom never beat BD all year. Quarters was the third closest they were all year. On the subject of percusion, it was pretty much a toss-up all year, with BD taking drums in 6 of their 10 meetings.

That said, I loved Phantom's show this year. But I think the spread with BD was justified.

So will Dynasty sound different than table tops.? That is what all the snares seem to sound like to me. You used to be able to listen to a snare line and here tuning differences but not anymore. So someone in the know, please tell me what the true differences are in the snares.

Blue Devils a FULL 3 pts above regiment? PLEEEEEZZZEEEE!!!!! MY GOD! What could they (judges) possibly have seen/heard to have them (PR) crushed in such a spead? Nothing other than that of my feeble, unschooled non-percussion opinion I guess. Oh well, old news, old opinions --- 2008 wil be a new ballgame fo' sure!

I agree with the 3 point overall spread, though Phantom should have won percussion.

IT WILL BE INTERESTING! Lets see how the judges score regiment THIS year =---= My guess? They will still be lower than their counterparts regarless of how well they play or the fantastic parts written for them.

You're talking about the battery parts right? The pit parts are nothing but eighth note ostinatos, the occasional 16th note run with the exact rhythm as the battery, and the melody in octaves.

Oh -- And it's my OPINION ONLY that Regiment should have won percussion a 2nd year.

What a LAME, seemingly funny comment by the perc judge in the ESPN broadcast: "wow.... what control, what technique!" as BD played the same passages over & over while doing their dips and sways. Gosh, I'll agree I am not a drummer - but a professor of percussion studdies was sitting in my liiving room watching same broadcast and said same thing to me! BTW -- this person is on staff at a major, well known university here in PA and actually teaches percussion under a Masters Degree.

I think HE would know what was meant by : playing same passages over & over while moving. Gee, and isn't that what drum corps on a whole demands? Playing while moving? Or, is it just inclusive to the percussion line standing still while "juking and jiving:" one move at a time? Gee you tell me!

I will say that regiment is gonna go head to head, (pun INTENDED) flam to flam with BD and others using 'Dynasty'. The true test amongst the big guns will see the same equipment being used, but the effect and the ultimate challenge will be in the different writting skills and teaching that come into play here.

In Regiment's percussion history -- this has always been ONE of their achilles heels. Rennick and gang turned that 360 in 2005 & 2006. 2007 was stellar -- but the judges were hell bent on seeing that BD won the whole 'kit & caboodle' for their 50th anniversary.

PLEASE READ .... STOP.... & RE-READ THE FOLLOWING 2-3 TIMES BEFORE FLAMING:

Blue Devils pulled out an amazing performance on finals night -- when it truly counts for the WHOLE BALL OF WAX, but I do, along with countless others, feel they were beat in percussion by Regiment -- In Quarters they were a judged higher and even a p[ercussion announcer - who is ledgendary in his own right, said "they were 2nd in percussion last night -- 2nd in brass -- they should defend their percussion title tonight". I've looked at the recaps and it's amazing the change from QTRS, SEMI'S and FINALS where BD & PR were/are concerned.

Take a look... it's there in black and white

So this is why BD hadn't won a percussion trophy in years prior to this season? I'm sorry but you're just wrong. The percussion judges weren't out to get Regiment.

I love Regiment and their pit also, but their pit is not deserving of the ridiculous amount of worship they get on dcp. Everyone loved the opening segment, well get this...it was only triplets until the very end. There probably isn't a world class pit that couldn't have played that, and most of the open class pits could've probably played it too. Sure, it was written very well, and I don't disagree that the effect was great, but it wasn't challenging. Probably the only very challenging thing that their pit played was a 16th note run of single independents using four mallets in the opener...and, as MGC points out, the battery was playing the same rhythm behind them. BD's pit was way ahead of Regiment's pit this year.

As for the whole Dennis Delucia thing, well was he on the field at all judging their battery this year? No, he wasn't. It's tough to get a good read of a battery from the stands. Listen to Allan Kristensen on the finals dvd judges tape, he admits that Regiment had a great year, but also states that they didn't pull it off on finals night. If he was just trying to give BD the victory, why did he also choose to put Bluecoats, who finished SEVENTH overall, ahead of PR? Because he had the balls to do what he thought was right. No way a judge would ever put a seventh place corps in second place in ANY caption finals night unless they had been winning that caption all year, and the Bluecoats weren't winning drums all year. If Allan Kristensen was trying to give BD the victory over Regiment, he wouldn't have put Bluecoats ahead of Regiment.

Yes my post comes off as highly critical of Regiment, and it was intended to be critical of the praise they get, but don't get me wrong, I love PR. Their 2007 show was my favorite of the year, and I enjoyed their percussion music more than any other corps. That doesn't mean that they deserved first in percussion, because they certainly didn't.

Edited by drumcorpsfan4567

funny, I used regiment percussion in a statistics project...

but yes, a very talented group.