Question about the 150

Is that a hint, Mr. Blue Star??

(16 contras ?? :smile: )

Not a hint - just a wish from an old brass guy that yearns for a few more decibles.

edit: UNAMPLIFIED decibles, thank you. :thumbup:

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

88 brass (28 upper, 16 middle, 28 bari/euphs, 16 bass)

26 percussion (10 snare, 5 tenors, 5 bass, 6 pit)

35 guard (some would roll into the pit and play

1 dm

While this can be a good idea and educational, I'm not sure this is all that realistic with world class corps. How would these members split their rehearsal day and still be effective to both sections?!

1 dm

Where would you find enough people that can do colorguard and play percussion at a world class level?

Back in the day, kids showed up to even champion contender corps w/ little experiance and were TAUGHT to play (or spin).

Yeah...that's more along the lines of Open class

While this can be a good idea and educational, I'm not sure this is all that realistic with world class corps. How would these members split their rehearsal day and still be effective to both sections?!
Where would you find enough people that can do colorguard and play percussion at a world class level?

Are you kidding me? Is it that hard to play some auxillary percussion parts? How hard is it to roll on or smash a cymbal? What about hitting some of the wood things, running their fingers along a wind chime thing or playing a tamborine? It's not like they would have to learn how to play vibes with four mallets or something. I also think every corps has some performers talented enough to cover many different parts throughout the corps.

One year there were about 20 cymbals in BD at one point in the show.

Another there were about 80+ horns in the Freelancers.

I also remember a group putting 20+ drums on the field.

I also know of an entire honline that spun flags or riflesque equipment during a show.

I'm pretty sure most of those extr parts were coverd by guard members.

And with amplification, do you really need a large pit?

I would really just enjoy an 88 person hornline. I tried for a 100 person hornline, but a 20 person drumline and 30 person guard simply isn't enough people to balance the sound or visual presentation.

Are you kidding me?! You need to attend a percussion clinic, and see how "easy" it is to play a tambourine correctly, or to smash a cymbal.

"And with amplification, do you really need a large pit?"

Yes, because good pit writing is more than doubling the horn parts. The more people you have in the pit, the more opportunities for different textures and layers. Phantom's amazing opening segment wouldn't of sounded good at all if it was only split up amongst a couple of players.

You need to realize that it's not all about the horns, and being a well rounded percussionist at a world class level is more than smashing some cymbals and hitting some would things.

PLUS everybody knows how notoriously awful guards are at keeping time. Giving them loud cymbals and bass drums, no thanks. I was talking with a member of the 1998 cavies guard, they all picked up cymbals for the closer. He said by the end of the summer, less than half of the people actually played them, because it wouldn't stay in time.

Are you kidding me? Is it that hard to play some auxillary percussion parts? How hard is it to roll on or smash a cymbal? What about hitting some of the wood things, running their fingers along a wind chime thing or playing a tamborine? It's not like they would have to learn how to play vibes with four mallets or something...

You're obviously not a percussionist.

"How hard is it to buzz your lips and blow air through them shiny metal glorified kazoos?"

Yes, it is that freakin' hard to do it right. There are books written strictly about cymbal technique. I've heard of at least one graduate thesis on triangle technique. And I can play four-mallet keyboards (a little), but can't do a halfway decent thumb roll on a tambourine to save my life.

To help you put it it perspective, imagine handing horns out to your drum line and having them play for a significant portion of your corps' show. You'd probably be concerned that your brass score's gonna tank, and rightly so. Those guys probably don't know a thing about intonation, fingerings, embouchure, breath support, etc. Hand a brass player or guard member a set of mallets and guess how WE might feel.

Edited by SkyDog

PLUS everybody knows how notoriously awful guards are at keeping time. Giving them loud cymbals and bass drums, no thanks. I was talking with a member of the 1998 cavies guard, they all picked up cymbals for the closer. He said by the end of the summer, less than half of the people actually played them, because it wouldn't stay in time.

How do you think guards get clean?