Sweeny Todd

The best version I've ever seen was Plymouth Canton from Michigan back in 1992.

They won prelims that year, and had a bad finals run to fall a few places.

They utilized a set of the room above Mrs Lovett's Pie Shop at the front of the field during the show's opening, which for the time was very advanced and unique.

The show started with the same organ music in the original, and had the Sweeney Todd character slit the throat of an unfortunate patient right when the screeching whistle went off.

During "The Worst Pies in London", their guard carried pies in one hand while doing equipment work with the other hand.

I don't know if this show is on youtube or not, but if you ever get a chance to see their prelim run at 1992 BOA Grand Nationals, it would be hard to outdo this version of Sweeney Todd.

Without a doubt..the best version ever done on the field (at a national level, anyway) :thumbup::smile::smile:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best version I've ever seen was Plymouth Canton from Michigan back in 1992.

They won prelims that year, and had a bad finals run to fall a few places.

They utilized a set of the room above Mrs Lovett's Pie Shop at the front of the field during the show's opening, which for the time was very advanced and unique.

The show started with the same organ music in the original, and had the Sweeney Todd character slit the throat of an unfortunate patient right when the screeching whistle went off.

During "The Worst Pies in London", their guard carried pies in one hand while doing equipment work with the other hand.

I don't know if this show is on youtube or not, but if you ever get a chance to see their prelim run at 1992 BOA Grand Nationals, it would be hard to outdo this version of Sweeney Todd.

Saw some of that show on t.v. that year during halftime of the Lions game on Thanksgiving Day. It was pretty cool.

A good friend of mine, (Robbie Robinson, former solo snare champion, Crossmen/BD snare section leader and Reading Bucs teacher/performer). shared with me the history and awesomeness of the story and music of this film and his very positive reaction/sentiment in viewing this movie. I look seeing it :thumbup: tomorrow/today!

Bringing back memories from 92. We went to Toronto for a free day and they had a couple of Sweeney Todd barber shops.

Kiss Me and The Ballad of Sweeney Todd are the songs I've heard complained about being left out the most.

That's somewhat interesting... the overture song they used a few times was basically the ballad of sweeny todd but without the vocals. I don't really know where they could have put that song in it without completely ruining the mood of the entire movie.

Okay, just saw the movie and if the music/score hits the field in drum corps this music screams BLUE KNIGHTS.... it's dark, rich, disodent, synchopated, melodic, emotional, harmonic, etc.... would be a natural fit to BK's dark style of the recent past years :thumbup:

Saw the movie last night. Sucked big time. One of the few movies I've ever walked out on. I told my fiance' at the beginning of the movie, "Why the heck is he singing the dialogue" and that if they start singing again, I'm leaving. Wasn't long. Walked out and into Alien vs Predator-Requiem and though it was poorly written and was the worst of the series, it was more entertaining than that other garbage.

Oh yeah, that music from ST would make great drum corps music. NOT!.......

That's somewhat interesting... the overture song they used a few times was basically the ballad of sweeny todd but without the vocals. I don't really know where they could have put that song in it without completely ruining the mood of the entire movie.

Yeah, there was an intimacy in the style of the film that would have been destroyed by a big production number.

Saw the movie last night. Sucked big time. One of the few movies I've ever walked out on. I told my fiance' at the beginning of the movie, "Why the heck is he singing the dialogue" and that if they start singing again, I'm leaving. Wasn't long. Walked out and into Alien vs Predator-Requiem and though it was poorly written and was the worst of the series, it was more entertaining than that other garbage.

hmm...maybe because it's a musical???

Most unintentionally funny post I've seen on DCP in awhile.

Perhaps you shouldn't go to musicals if you don't like singing?