DRUMLINE ON TBS ON THE eAST cOAST1!1

It is latent racism on elitist posters! It is also outright jealousy that the show band style or even to a lesser degree military band style (ala Texas A&M Fighting Texas Aggie Band) is loved and supported by most of the population black or white!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No not correct.

What I think she was inferring was that it would be difficult for someone who never marched a DCI corps-style unit to judge a DCI group if they didnt really know, didnt understand or never studied the style.

A DCI judge is more than qualified to judge if they've marched or studied any corps style band (though I realize there are judges who have not marched...they still have a knowledge of our activity).

Would you be able to tell the difference between an excellent British Brass Band and a mediocre one? How about Kodo drumming? Would you know if you saw a terrible performance?

I think bands like the ones in "Drumline" focus more on entertainment than on cleanliness...which I would think most people on this forum would welcome :shutup:

Personally I love those kind of marching bands...and I like the music in "Drumline"...but hearing those horns in "Flight of the Bumblebees" just makes my skin crawl everytime I watch that movie.

Thank you. That is exactly what I meant.

...or, it's just a bad, bad movie. :shutup:

And that may also be true. We can talk about the acting, production value, etc.

Yes, it can be annoying when people ask if drum corps is like the movie, but it's probably the same level of annoyance as when you tell people you're in drum corps and they ask if it's like their high school marching band. To the masses, it's all the same thing. I'm sure that before the movie and even after the movie, the average person probably has no clue about what a HBMC band is and what makes them different from other bands in terms of style.

Going somewhat off topic, how many people here get the Fox Reality Channel? Basically it's nothing but reruns or original reality shows. I saw a bit of a show they did about recruits trying to become deputy sheriffs in Los Angeles and I got to thinking about how a show about drum corps just may work with that format. The whole emphasis on coming together as a team is what struck me as being similar to drum corps. It shouldn't be hard to get on the channel. They'll show anything. I mean, I saw promos for The Biggest Loser: Australia.

I'm no WWII vet, but I would say Saving Private Ryan was a gruesome and probably somewhat accurate portrayal.

Yeah, but don't get me started on "Pearl Harbor"

Some of you sound so elitist it could almost be misconstrued as racist by some. It's definately culturally insensitive.

I think some people might be trying to say they'd rather watch a good HBC marching band then a bad movie about one. I know at least that I would.

Tying back in to the mention of "Pearl Harbor"...

Coming soon to a theatre near you -

"Drum Corps - The Movie!" directed by Micheal Bay and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. Complete with a patented "rifle cam" shot in the preview. Tagline, voiced by Brandt Crocker:

"No trombones. More explosions!"

Edited by troon8