Sleeper

For those who keep listing corps who will be back in finals, I'd be interested in hearing who you think will be moving out of finals?

I mean Madison and Crossmen would have to jump 3 points and pass two other corps before reaching just the 12th spot. What makes anyone think they've done the work necessary to make that happen for either corps?

I mean Madison is offering dues cuts to guard members just to march there. It's innovative and I applaud the effort, but it also speaks volumes as what it will take to make up the ground after last year.

Unless 2008 turns out to be another 2002, I maybe see one corps moving out and there are already 3-4 corps jumping for that spot.

My sleeper...Troopers into Semis. I see them in and PC moving out.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who keep listing corps who will be back in finals, I'd be interested in hearing who you think will be moving out of finals?

I mean Madison and Crossmen would have to jump 3 points and pass two other corps before reaching just the 12th spot. What makes anyone think they've done the work necessary to make that happen for either corps?

I mean Madison is offering dues cuts to guard members just to march there. It's innovative and I applaud the effort, but it also speaks volumes as what it will take to make up the ground after last year.

Unless 2008 turns out to be another 2002, I maybe see one corps moving out and there are already 3-4 corps jumping for that spot.

What makes you think that they don't have the work ethic to make it into finals? I don't put who I think they are going to replace them, because there is nobody to replace. Whan makes you think that the same corps from 2007 are automatically in finals. It's anybodys game from the start of the season.

How does Madison have to jump 3 points to get into the 12th place spot when finals is in another 7 months????? :spitting:

Is it anybody's game? Absolutely. But denying that certain corps have advantages over others is just naive. Momentum is definately a real thing.

Think of all the corps as cars on a highway. They're all driving down the road at relatively the same speed, and they're all in a single file line. The chances of one corps getting a sudden burst of speed, enough to pass several corps at once, just isn't something that is very likely. And even if one corps manages to really surge forward, there are about five others in the same score bracket who are noticing and attempting to speed up as well.

That's no reason not to hope, of course. Me personally? I think the Blue Stars have that momentum. Enough to pass at least two corps who have been in front of them. I think it's safe to say Madison won't slip again, but I think they're going to be maintaining their place rather than pushing ahead. I'll definately say though that I'm much more interested in seeing who makes 10-12 places rather than who wins. I guess seeing the same groups with the gold all the time gets a little tiring. It's fun seeing groups battle it out for the Saturday show, though.

I'm just ready for it all to start.

It's interesting to see the unbelievable high standards that todays Cavaliers and other corps like The Cadets and BD are held to but I understand that this not only comes from winning so much but producing high quality shows for years.

Sorry to digress here but...

I agree. Furthermore I am constantly amazed at the level of quality on show from todays corps as opposed to when I marched. I am not comparing because they were different eras, and it would be like comparing apples and oranges, but todays "lower" top 16 corps would be battling it out with the championship contenders of my era. I just got a cd today of the Blue Knights recorded at Webber St University last summer (in HD), and it is astounding, simply astounding.

There's nothing "innovative" about cutting guard member's dues to get them to march. It happened back in the 80s, especially as WGI guards grew in popularity and corps wanted some of those talented individuals to march on the field. Since they had already participated in a winter guard and had to pay dues there, they couldn't afford to pay dues to a corps also...so, they some deals were cut. Also, when you consider that at the same time many of the top winter guard designers and instructors had become designers and caption heads with some of the top corps, the lure of talent from one activity to the other was inavoidable.

So, it's been done before...for decades even, but maybe it just wasn't known to the general DCI audience or member.

Edited by ssorrell

Bear in mind that Madison lost 20% of its Color Guard to age-outs this year, PLUS they need to add 10 new members to reach the desired 40. That means they need 16 new Guard members minimum, before any normal attrition. AND they're all male, so there's a smaller pool to draw from when recruiting. In our region, it's rare to see even one male on a high school color guard. None of this recruiting means that Madison is "struggling" as some are implying on this forum.

so much emotion in your post/ we sure bring that out of people/ how do you know we are offering dues cuts and what due you mean when you post - offering dues cuts mr no it all? mabye were going to be giving all 46 guard members a free ride this summer oh did i say 46, did i say free, mabye i am mr now it all!!!!!!! if your not here you dont know my pick is madison not only most improved agian/ but in my day tv was priority- here we come, GO MADISON

Gotta be CROWN. They had a great show last year - still amazes me they finished where they did.