Sleeper

I like the way you think.... and i think you're right. I do have one question though... would a staff change at the top affect the Cavie's drill that much? ( i would have switched them with BD, but of course this is all personal oppinion and some hoping :D )

Actually, I switched BD and Cavies before posting. BD was just too strong, and always is, for me to see them in 4th. And the staff change I mentioned was in reference to Fiedler retiring. May not have an impact for a year, as the rest of staff is basically intact. But someone had to go to make room for Blooo! And again, like you said, opinion. And everyone has one. Some of us have many!

Edited by silvertrombone

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's January. Every top 6 corps from last year will win next year, 7-12 will be in the top six, and all the corps below 12 will make finals. It's the same every year.

Crown wouldn't really surprise me. As of right now, up is where they are headed, so I would be more surprised if they drop. As for my surprise I am looking just a little higher...

Santa Clara Vanguard!

They had a show that beat BD at a few shows early in the season last year and they ended up in 5th. I think their problem was design. The show got clean too fast, and it lacked some of the excitement that their 2006 production produced. If they can fix those things, which I feel like their staff is smart enough to do (and probably already has planned to do so), they will be back in the top three and contending the entire season.

My eye is on Academy and Blue Stars. Both were within striking distance of the top 12 last year, so if they can ratchet things up a notch this year, both corps will be extremely competitive. I particularly think Academy will have the best shot, as they only have to make significant strides in a single area (guard).

I'll be highly interested to watch SCV, too. A rather broad hint was dropped here that Vanguard is getting new unis. And that's the same fellow who blessed the Blue Stars with their striking new look, so I'm thinking this could mean great things for SCV.

As to Madison: after last year's debacle, I am desperately hoping the latest set of changes (especially the new director from the mid-90s golden era) puts the corps back on a solid competitive track. For the love of all that is holy: Fix. The. Freaking. Uniforms.

(And before the flame wars begin: for a corps of Madison's stature, 15th place is a debacle. Yes, "Unbound" was a highly entertaining show with plenty of Madison flair, particularly during the last two weeks of the season. But there's no denying that 2007 was, for the Scouts, a slow-motion train wreck.)

I have always been a Pacific Crest (PC) fan. They always did shows for the audience, it stinks that the judges don't like. HTey also proved that narraction can work. In thier 07 show they had people speak one lines once and a while they are the Future!

My eye is on Academy and Blue Stars. Both were within striking distance of the top 12 last year, so if they can ratchet things up a notch this year, both corps will be extremely competitive. I particularly think Academy will have the best shot, as they only have to make significant strides in a single area (guard).

I don't know who has a better shot, but following your reasoning, taking a look at last year's semifinals recaps shows that Blue Stars were well ahead of Academy in all non-GE captions and subcaptions except percussion, which was a tie. Which suggests that the Blue Stars don't have to make significant strides in any area. Except GE. But I don't know how you improve in GE if you have a particular style you're wedded to. Some fans love it (like me), some fans don't, and some judges apparently aren't impressed.

I have always been a Pacific Crest (PC) fan. They always did shows for the audience, it stinks that the judges don't like. HTey also proved that narraction can work. In thier 07 show they had people speak one lines once and a while they are the Future!

I loved PC's show last year. The narration didn't do much for the show but it was easy to tune out. Entertainment-wise, I would take it over some top-6 shows.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

Blue Stars are not going to make finals, unfortunately. New director, new brass staff. The hornline was amazing the last couple of years, but I know of a lot of members that have moved on. It's going to be a rebuilding year

Brass was definitely their strength. But percussion has been coming on strong and it looks like the staff changes in guard have major potential for lifting their game in that area. Time will tell.