Should DCI be allowed to edit Finals DVD's?

Conspiracies can be found anywhere if you look hard enough. Are we sure that the "edited" footage is not just of a different camera angle?

If the missed step off is in the high camera, then DCI didn't really edit it out. And I really see no need for them to splice together images from separate nights, when it would be much easier to just use the footage (from finals) that one of the other cameras captured.

I'm not saying DCI should be doing this sort of thing (if they really are), but c'mon. It's not like half the corps fell down and they needed some way to not show it. It was one kid. Cut to camera #2.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think the OP is making too big of a deal out of this, it is something that is a valid worry. If they edit out a mistake, then it's fair to call DCI out. Don't try to ignore that fact.

The fact I'm not ignoring is that the Volume 1 DVDs are a keepsake of the Finalist corps' shows, as mentioned on the package, and not specifically a record of the Finals show itself. Granted, the Finals will be represented in practically its entirely, (provided the point the OP made is what really happened...I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone official about this yet). DCI has not tried to cover up anything, as evidenced by the admission on the DVD cover about the buzzing noise from the lights that might be in evidence during playback.

Everybody loves a good mocking. :spitting:

Glad I could make your day. :)

Maybe you want to hand a torch to me. I did come on strong, but that's because as a general rule, I think that altering reality is bad form. What I did not understand was that apparently the DVDs were never intended to represent reality.

Reality is highly over-rated. I lived through the 60s. Some of my classmates still believe "Gilligan's Island" was reality programming.

This highlights what I think is a bigger question: what does DCI want to be? It's not about whether or not DCI has tricked DVD buyers and must be punished; it's about whether DCI takes itself seriously as a governing body and arbiter of competition, or whether it would rather do what feels good in the name of entertainment.

I believe we can arbitrate competition and provide the top level of entertainment in competition.

Editing one clip of a single misstep is not going to cause the fall of civilization, but it does show IMO a disrespect for the performance and the competition. It just doesn't seem to be a major league way of doing things. But that's only my opinion--others obviously like the approach.

Personally, what I think it shows is a respect for the performers.

Oops, my torch went out. Must be that DCI is free to do what it wants.

Remember that for now, DCI is still based in Illinois and the state on New Year's Day instituted a no smoking in public places policy statewide. I think torches fall in that category.

Conspiracies can be found anywhere if you look hard enough. Are we sure that the "edited" footage is not just of a different camera angle?

If the missed step off is in the high camera, then DCI didn't really edit it out. And I really see no need for them to splice together images from separate nights, when it would be much easier to just use the footage (from finals) that one of the other cameras captured.

I'm not saying DCI should be doing this sort of thing (if they really are), but c'mon. It's not like half the corps fell down and they needed some way to not show it. It was one kid. Cut to camera #2.

ZOWIE!!! A different camera angle is certainly a possibility. Remember that the ESPN broadcast was put together much faster than the final DVD product. For the final product, those putting together the best representation of the Finals competition could spend more time with the different camera angles. I don't know if that's what happened, but it certainly is a possibility.

Hey guys, I got a great idea.

Let's make a really big deal out this!

Ok. I am going to have to chime in on this one.

From a recording standpoint, I think its great to have the video edited for the highest possible quality performance. I see no issue with submitting the "highest possible quality" edition to individual corps for their own keeping (Incidentally, each corps gets its own copy every year). I can go as far to say "yes" when asked if Finals night errors should be edited for telecast on ESPN/PBS.

After giving this serious consideration however, if we are going to have Dennis DeLucia hack a corps to death with a Telestrator (ask any Blue Knights fan/alum what this is about), then I think deleting Finals night mistakes through editing is quite comparable to editing/removing video of questionably called balls/strikes in the DVD copy of the MLB World Series. A Red Sox fan might ask, "whats it matter? We won the World Series anyway. Nobody will remember this in 10 years. Besides, we won the World Series by sweeping the other team."

It wouldn't matter what the margin of victory was. If we are going to hold some corps to one standard, then we have to hold all corps to that same standard. Wasn't that one of the main reasons for creating DCI?

Elmo Blatch

...I think deleting Finals night mistakes through editing is quite comparable to editing/removing video of questionably called balls/strikes in the DVD copy of the MLB World Series.

Except that a ball or strike is the only thing that matters at that particular point in time in an MLB game. The ball or strike determines what happens next and is paramount to the direction the game takes at that point.

Using a different camera angle or whatever to focus on something else is different in that there are so many other things going on at the same time. If one person misses a step-off, dozens of others didn't. There are flags to see twirling, drums to see playing, other horns to see marching. That one person edited out doesn't change the flow or direction of the show, whereas in an MLB broadcast, a ball/strike/hit/run/error/whatever most definately changes the flow or direction of a game.

Someone watching the DCI DVD cares about the flow of the show at any particular moment. What one particular individual they happen to be watching at the moment isn't as important. Someone watching the MLB broadcast at the time doesn't care if the outfielder is scratching his butt while a hitter is striking out. That's not where the action is.

I'm not sure the butt scratching analogy will make sense to some, but it was fun to write.

Mike, I like you, I do. I think you missed my point though.

If DCI (Dennis DeLucia, Tom Blair, the crew, etc.) is going to point out mistakes of some corps on Saturday night (see Blue Knights, ESPN2 broadcast 2006), then the same treatment needs to be performed on all corps. Editing performances for improvement, especially in light of of using a Telestrator to circle marching errors, etc. for some corps, could be seen by some as a way of biasing an audience.

Elmo Blatch

Thinking a bit more about it, there are two ways to look at this.

1. It is a performance - edit it to the best possible.

2. It is history - do not edit it and thus alter the historical record.

George Orwell wrote abut this some decades ago. Go read 'Animal Farm' (some Corps are more equal than othe Corps) and '1984' (Big Brother DCI is watching you).

I did do well in English lit.