Which is best and why?

boston_crusaders135

I play tuba in my school band, but wish I was playing contra. It just looks a lot more fun, and a lot more like the trumpet, which I previously played before switching. Anyway, i wanted to know in your opinion which you think is best and why, just out of curiosity.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None is "best." It's simply the right tool for the job. If I'm sitting down in band or orchestra or a quintet I'm certainly not going to play a contra, and if I'm laying down basslines all night with my band I sure as hell won't do it on an upright tuba.

I'm just not a fan of Sousaphones anymore. If I had my way with a high school band, they'd be playing Contra-style tubas. But in a perfect world, I'd form that group into a corps :tongue:

Each has their place.

The Contra is nice in that it sits on your shoulder, so if you're doing a stand up gig, you're not holding it like you're moving some furniture AND playing. But for marching, it's not all that great as you're blind on one side.

The Sousaphone can be used in many settings. The Conn 20K is supposedly a nice one. Play Tuba and hold your music with the other hand. Standing up, or sitting down it's fairly easy to handle. Not so much when going through doorways. And it's forward projection tends to over balance many ensembles.

The concert horn is good in that it's not too loud. And has good intonation relative to many of the other options. Throw in some bad chairs and poorly planned page turns and it's not so nice. But generally expected for most formal type gigs.

A Suessaphone?

You mean this thing?

20.jpg

I play all three at some point during the school year.

I like playing contra style tubas for marching band, cause it's fun to cloths line people when they're not paying attention while marching. The rule is, move, or the tuba player can and will hit you. You hit the tuba player and leave a dent, you run 2 laps. I have to love my directors sometimes.

I play concert tuba for symphonic band, I love playing in there, but sometimes we have really band choice of songs we're playing.

I also play sousaphone for pep band. It's fun sometimes, but then you have those idiots that like to touch your horn, lick it, spit on it at games, hit it while you're playing. Lets put it this way, my section wont hesitate to beat the crap out of them. We've did it before. Stuff like that really angers me though.

• 2 weeks later...

i wanna play a contra D=

we play sousaphones at our school, they're old, crappy, but a couple still manage to sound somewhat decent

our concert tubas are the same, but they still sound okay

we're lacking tuba players AND instruments in our band, we could use at least 3 more of each, lol

i know i could convince a couple people to switch if we got contras, enough of them :guinesssmilie:

A Suessaphone?

You mean this thing?

20.jpg

HAHAHA, nice :guinesssmilie:

A Suessaphone?

You mean this thing?

20.jpg

Wasn't that called a "Flambadangfloozle" or something? :thumbup:

Edited by davidp

I personally love the Contra, but when I'm feeling lazy the Tuba is the best.

I hate sousaphones.