Which is best and why?

boston_crusaders135

I personally love the Contra, but when I'm feeling lazy the Tuba is the best.

I hate sousaphones.

Me too. With the modern converter tubas, there is no reason to use sousaphones, unless your band has some long tradition of using them, like a college band. My kids have a converter pipe, but usually just like to strap the horn on with a drum strap, in the British style. More comfortable for the player.

BTW, tuba is always superior, just not always appropriate for all applications.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only time i prefer sousaphones is for long boring parades...otherwise give me a tuba anytime

Provided that the tuba is not a Kaiser or BAT, a small strapped on tuba is always most comfortable. No trailing like the contrabass, although with resting on the ground and alternating hands, the contra can be fairly workable too, unless again it is some 4/5v beastie! Give me that DEG 2v anytime. The K90 can even get beasty too sometimes.

What about P/Rs? I fancy the Olds Ultratone 2.

P/Rs are pretty fun to play on. Still have to love the exploding/time bomb sound you get if you play a dynamic over mf.

P/Rs are pretty fun to play on. Still have to love the exploding/time bomb sound you get if you play a dynamic over mf.

You must be describing a Getzen. The Ultratone will handle anything a competent player can put into it.

"why back in my day...." I played an Ultratone p/r for a year...loved it ! My contra line averaged one tick every six shows. We thought we were pretty tough. (and we were)

oldschool.jpg

You must be describing a Getzen. The Ultratone will handle anything a competent player can put into it.

No, but those are fun to play on also. I can make it sound like it's exploding just playing at piano.

My corp has some Ultratones. I'm a little loud, and I did make them sound like they're exploding, the horn was too small in my opinion. My corp director put me on k-90, cause I can play loud on that and it doesn't overbalance the ensemble... sometimes :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

I've played a Conn 20K for the past 6 yrs. at Penn State. It is a very good horn that does reward good players. It certainly isn't suited for all situations though. I find it easy to get a big, fat, round sound out of this horn. But, that is the sound I preferred and of course I was to play that way. The intonation is very good considering the horn hasn't been changed in close to 100 years. The third valve slide is very sharp, while the second valve slide is very flat (even with the slide all the way in), and the first valve slide usually doesn't need much adjustment. I found it to be a superior instrument to the 4 valve Dynasty marching tuba.

Edited by Penn State