Geaux Tigers

There are a ton of people from the Lafayette,La. area that march or have marched DCI. Lonny Benoit (Cavies pit), Ray Theaux (PR tenor), Todd Gary (Cavies snare), Joe "Hawly" Gary (PR snare), Danny Welchel (Northern Aurora), Danny Davillier (BK snare), Walter Powell (SCV snare), Troy Breaux (PR snare), Steven Broussard (SCV snare), Rell Lafargue (Cavies tympani), Clifford Loupe (Cavies guard), Mark Richard (North Star?/Blue Stars? snare), Colby ? (BK snare), Byron Toups (Cavies snare). Those are just some of the people that I'm aware of, from the late 80's and early 90's era. I'm sure there's a ton more since.

Joe Gary, is my uncle. And not to be picky, but it's Hawley "Joe" Gary :thumbs-up: And Danny D is the percussion instructor/arranger of our shows at my school.

I'm marching with Revolution this summer. I'm excited.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 years in the Golden Band from Tigerland, 2 years as Drum Captain, and 3 years with The Cavaliers in the pit (04-06). Last night was my last game in a Tiger Band uniform. We didn't have 40 days to learn our show, we had 3 rehearsals that were 2 hours long and we devoted half of those rehearsals to rehearsing our pregame and music without marching. You don't have to move a lot to be impressive (though I wish that we did move some more). The reason we didn't move the second tune is because it was a feature for our dance team the Golden Girls, and the focus needs to be on them NOT on what the band is marching.

A 2006-2007 Cavies contra was in my fiancee's tuba studio at LSU. There was also a chippy that marched in PR 2006's guard from Lafayette that went to LSU, as well as a good friend that marched euph for Mempho and PR. In Tiger band in 2006, I think we counted 17 people that marched that summer in corps. I know there were a few from Tulane that marched Boston, and three Ragin' Cajuns that marched Crown.

There's quite alot of folks that march from the Bayou.

It's an interesting situation the couple of times I watched various college bands march this year. By college definition, KU's band is small. KU's band is REALLY small. I'm talking 180 small. But they were able to do more interesting drill because of it. They never did anything that complicated, but compared to the opponent bands the demand was significantly higher. Compare pregames (off the top of my head, so if I simplify then I apologize):

VT: Opening block, giant VT logo, Hokies, reverse Hokies, reverse giant VT, leave the field.

KU: Opening block, giant K, four blocks, form KU, vertical adjustment, reverse KU, vertical adjustment, reverse K, leave the field.

I know that if the band gets back to the size that the boosters want, then the visual diversity will go away. I won't see a backwards rotating shrinking square like I did at the MU game, but they'll definitely be louder.

I guess this is a time where I should just let the band be the band and enjoy it. (And refer back to the years when they were small as the good times. :) )

Are there any big college bands out there that really "go for it" visually? Or does the size simply make it prohibitive?

Edited by Pinwiz

It's an interesting situation the couple of times I watched various college bands march this year. By college definition, KU's band is small. KU's band is REALLY small. I'm talking 180 small. But they were able to do more interesting drill because of it. They never did anything that complicated, but compared to the opponent bands the demand was significantly higher. Compare pregames (off the top of my head, so if I simplify then I apologize):

VT: Opening block, giant VT logo, Hokies, reverse Hokies, reverse giant VT, leave the field.

KU: Opening block, giant K, four blocks, form KU, vertical adjustment, reverse KU, vertical adjustment, reverse K, leave the field.

I know that if the band gets back to the size that the boosters want, then the visual diversity will go away. I won't see a backwards rotating shrinking square like I did at the MU game, but they'll definitely be louder.

I guess this is a time where I should just let the band be the band and enjoy it. (And refer back to the years when they were small as the good times. :) )

Are there any big college bands out there that really "go for it" visually? Or does the size simply make it prohibitive?

JSU Marching Southerners. We had close to 400 this past season, and I had about 90 to 100 sets of drill.

5 years in the Golden Band from Tigerland, 2 years as Drum Captain, and 3 years with The Cavaliers in the pit (04-06). Last night was my last game in a Tiger Band uniform. We didn't have 40 days to learn our show, we had 3 rehearsals that were 2 hours long and we devoted half of those rehearsals to rehearsing our pregame and music without marching. You don't have to move a lot to be impressive (though I wish that we did move some more). The reason we didn't move the second tune is because it was a feature for our dance team the Golden Girls, and the focus needs to be on them NOT on what the band is marching.

Congrats. I am sure it was a lot of fun. . .but I wish you guys had just done a rehash of a show you already knew. It would have been, I bet, much more impressive than what you put on national tv.

I am proud to say I am a graduate of LSU, class of 1991.

Was a member of the Golden Band from Tigerland in 1989 and 1990. The band at the time was full (dozen or so?) of Phantom Regiment members - mostly Louisiana natives. Being a Madison Scout alumni and Wisconsin transplant made me quite an oddity there...almost like a zoo exhibit!

Mr. Wickes and Ms. Morehouse were class directors and made me feel very welcome, even though I was a yankee, an older student AND a non-music major. I made some great friends that remain important in my life today, of which many were Regiment alums.

I also worked as a tutor for the athletic department for two years; did many study sessions with Shaquille O'neal, who was actually a solid student who choose tutoring assistance to remain a solid student.

Seeing the purple and gold on TV (any sport or just glimpses of the band) brings back great memories!

Daaa-da-da-dut!

Geaux Tigers!

Pat Seidling

Pasadena, Ca

Congrats. I am sure it was a lot of fun. . .but I wish you guys had just done a rehash of a show you already knew. It would have been, I bet, much more impressive than what you put on national tv.

We had a show from early in the season that included Pictures of Spain and Malaga, but we didn't do it because we had done it about 5-6 times already (including the SEC Championship Game) and the fans were starting to complain because they had seen it already (message board posts, letters to the band dept., and even some booing at the SECCG). I loved that show and wished we had done it again, but the show that we put on the field was the show that got the largest crowd reaction out of any show we did this year, so the directors thought to bring it back for this game. I love the show because of the throwback drill, but I know where you are coming from.

Joe Gary, is my uncle. And not to be picky, but it's Hawley "Joe" Gary :thumbup: And Danny D is the percussion instructor/arranger of our shows at my school.

I'm marching with Revolution this summer. I'm excited.

Wow you're Hawley's Nephew? Marched with him and Todd in high school. And marched with Todd in the Cavaliers from 83-85. Man do I feel old.. :ph34r: Good luck with Revolution this summer.

Elliott Thomas