Phantom Regiment Switches To Dynasty Percussion!

This should not have come as a surprise to anyone that pays even a little attention. And to the person that said sorry to the front ensemble, I gotta tell ya, I've actually had a fairly positive experience with them. And trust me, I was NOT a Dynasty supporter at first. But it's amazing what actually playing on their top products will do to your decision. It has it's issues, but that's why you see guys like Mark Reynolds and Al Murray out with the corps. Getting feedback, even crawling under boards or drilling holes to make it better.

My understanding is that the horns/drums at PR had a different deal and the horn contract was not up for this year but the drums were. I wouldn't be surprised if they've verbally commited to signing on with Dynasty horns for next year when their king contract is up.

Your are right. Dynasty has good customer service. Yamaha does too.

I can tell you from personal experience some sponsors of corps DO NOT!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gross...please tell me they aren't using dienasty horns too. Pearl's marketing department has some catching up to do. Simply being the best sounding product doesn't seem to matter anymore. Is pearl still doing promotional deals with King horns?

Plenty of people love to come on here and bag on dynasty drums, but does anyone actually know why? No one ever seems to offer up any sort of credible arguement or evidence to suggest that dynasty isn't as good as yamaha or pearl or ludwig. I'm getting the impression that nobody knows and it's just something everybody went along with. I'm a horn player so I have no frikkin' clue.

This is coming from a brass guy so take it with a grain of salt, but I can't stand the way the Dynasty drums sound. It's really dead and without the same resonance and timbre of Pearl. Again, this is just my layman's opinion so I can't give you any technical arguments aside from what sounds good to me.

My understanding is that the horns/drums at PR had a different deal and the horn contract was not up for this year but the drums were. I wouldn't be surprised if they've verbally commited to signing on with Dynasty horns for next year when their king contract is up.

i sincerely hope not, considering they just bought a whole new set last year. phantom regiment is kinda king's posterchild...

another thing - i was involved with a corps on all dynasty percussion. a weekend corps destroyed the keyboard equipment in about a month and a half. i'll hold my breath and hope for the best... maybe the four years inbetween have brought about several very needed changes...

Yeah ya'll. BD didn't seem too terrible. Good is good. Bad is bad. Gotta tell ya, listening to the recordings, I don't ever go "UGH!! DID YOU HEAR THAT DYNASTY MARIMBA!?!" or..."WOW!!! Are those...YAMAHA tenors?!?!!". Dynasty has a bad rep, I get it. I used to be all about the dynasty bash. Then I actually played the high level gear. I'll take my Ajax/Dynasty timps just as quick as a set of Yamaha's. And boy did I whine about HAVING to play Dynasty...before I'd actually played it and given it a chance.

Actually, with BD's snares this past summer, I did actually react in that way.

Nothing against the players or the teaching, but those snares sound like counter-tops.

Yeah ya'll. BD didn't seem too terrible. Good is good. Bad is bad. Gotta tell ya, listening to the recordings, I don't ever go "UGH!! DID YOU HEAR THAT DYNASTY MARIMBA!?!" or..."WOW!!! Are those...YAMAHA tenors?!?!!". Dynasty has a bad rep, I get it. I used to be all about the dynasty bash. Then I actually played the high level gear. I'll take my Ajax/Dynasty timps just as quick as a set of Yamaha's. And boy did I whine about HAVING to play Dynasty...before I'd actually played it and given it a chance.

actually, i react exactly that way. i'm very particular about drum tuning, and every brand sounds different. dynasty as a general rule lacks tone and body in the sound of their drums. the tenor design is awesome with the cradle connecting all the drums to one central piece, but the drums sound like boxes. and bd was dirty this year. shouldn't have won drums.

another thing - i was involved with a corps on all dynasty percussion. a weekend corps destroyed the keyboard equipment in about a month and a half. i'll hold my breath and hope for the best... maybe the four years inbetween have brought about several very needed changes...

Funny. We didn't destroy our equipment all summer. Something to be said for playing with a good outdoor technique? We cracked 1 rosewood bar this summer and it was the lowest note and the girl who did it was crushing the note. We knew that note was going to break. It happened, once. But that was their top end rosewood. And we had two sets, show and rehearsal. Our xylo's made from the Dynasty synthetic tended to break a little more. I'm not being a Dynasty honk because they're the sponsor for my corps. I'm just telling you guys that I couldn't stand the prodcut, because everyone had pretty much told me so. Then I get to experience the best of what they had to offer. And it's not bad. At all. For those of you who hear the differences in companies and can tell the difference is based on the drum itself and not the preferred tuning, man. Tell me where I can sign up for that ear training class. Cause I definitely didn't see it listed in my courses but would love to be that good.