Summer of '71

I go back a little further - but the fact that so many corps have simply gone away still hurts

What I remember most though are those great shows like the Danny Thomas Invitational, World Open and CYO Nationals, U.S. Open and the like. that's when you would find a mixture of corps like these with scores like this - competition was fierce.

Sunday July 18, 1971

Lawrence MA Danny Thomas Invitational

1 27th Lancers 84.450

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 84.100

3 Troopers 82.300

4 Cavaliers 81.000

5 St. Rita's Brassmen 80.950

6 Boston Crusaders 80.300

7 Madison Scouts 78.300

8 Blue Stars 77.850

9 De LaSalle Oaklands 73.800

10 Blessed Sacrament 70.450

11 Argonne Rebels 69.900

12 Spectacle City Mariners 52.350

Those who have taken the time to read this thread probably want to see these pictures from the 1971 World Open parade and show. There are many pages. Make sure you see them all.

Most everyone was on the East Coast in mid-July, 1971. Great, great memories....... Thanks, Baja.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...67&st=16470

Jeff Yeager

Argonne 1967 - 1974

Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007

Edited by jkyeag

Change rubbed some the wrong way...as it dontinues to do to this day, witness the DCP furor over new rules. Colt gives a nice midwest summary, and I'd add Garfield to that out East, as we did our Revolutionary War show in 71, complete with printed libretto a decade prior to Regiment. Dick Blake, editor (and owner??) of Drum Corps News did a scathing editorial on our three themed shows, which he later took back.

We were fairly successful, usually ending up just behind 27th and Blue Rock much of the year and ahead of the rest of the Eastern corps most of the time. That was not bad considering our average age was VERY young, esp as compared to Blue Rock, who had an amazing corps in 71 (as did 27th).

Before I forget, you have to also add two other Eastern shows to the mix...St Rita's and even Blessed Sac's "King and I" show.

I saw three of the eastern powerhouses (i.e. 27th, Blue Rock and Garfield) as well as the Blue Stars at the Shriners in Toronto that year. Later that same season I got to see SCV, Troopers, Cavies, Madison and Argonne at the North Americans. My only regret is that I didn't get to see Boston, Sac, St. Rita's, St. Joe's or Anaheim. Oh well ... I've got a few of them on the World Open albums, but never got to see them live. What a GREAT year for drum corps!

Not that winning is everything but the corps I was in in 1971 (St. Joes) and 1972 (Rochester Crusaders) won almost as many shows in that 2-year span as the rest of my 30 competitive years combined. Including 2-NYS Championships, Canadian Open Championship and American Legion National Championship.

Edited by Storkysr

I don't know, but it certainly remains MY favorite year.

I joined the activity in 1972 at 13 - From what I have read here, I wish that I could have seen 1971!

So many great corps out there, but the one that I regret not ever seeing is Blue Rock.

jim

Edited by ajedrummer

I remember looking out the chute onto the field at VFW Nats. as Blue Rock was doing the "Requiem" gates... and swearing under my breath (at least i HOPE it was under my breath!) What a corps and what a show! (and you're right, unis to die for!)

Edited by esch

I remember looking out the chute onto the field at VFW Nats. as Blue Rock was doing the "Requiem" gates... and swearing under my breath (at least i HOPE it was under my breath!) What a corps and what a show! (and you're right, unis to die for!)

I was fortunate to have marched with Blue Rock in '71 ( also 72 and 73), what a great year! I almost sat the year out. I had marched with the Pennsylvanians/Earls of Bucks for 11 years, and had decided to sit out '71 rather than go through another year of scoring in the low 40's and coming in last place. In early March I got a call from a guy who I had marched with in the Earls, who had gone down to Blue Rock. He told me they had really strong corps but needed another lead sop. At the time they had only 33 horns, but a dynamite drum line. I convinced my dad ( who was an ex drum corps guy) to let me drive the sixty miles to rehearsal ( fortunately we had a few other guys from the Earls to carpool with), and the rest is history. We won 24 of 30 shows that year, and lost two of them on flag penalties.

I'll never forget the roar of the crowds that year-unbelievable- especially the Dream, I get goose bumps even today listening to that.... . I also remember standing on the starting line at CYO Nationals ( we faced the end zone that year) and seeing how tan the girls from SCV were ( SCV went on first of the big corps that year- that helped us beat them at CYO- the only tie that happened).

Yes 1971 was a great year for drum corps, so many good corps that didn't even go to VFW Nationals that ( St Rita's, SAC, Cavaliers, Kilties, Des Plaines Vanguard, Bridgemen, Muchachos, etc)

There was NOTHING like the sight of Blue Rock coming onto and going off the field in their amazing close form "huddle".

Perhaps still the most impressive way a corps came into the stadium.

I would love to have a video of it. I don't think it shows up on their history video, (which I've had since about 1988) but I'd have to watch it again to be sure.