Edited by BeinGreen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry

Edited by BeinGreen

I suppose all the news from baseball got me thinking: was there ever a question of corps doing this kind of thing to get ahead? But that seems especially unlikely, and especially irresponsible and dangerous. I think the posts that drive home the fact that no competitive advantage would be gained serve to answer that question.

The Baris and Euphs could use the steroids during the off-season while working out.

:rolleyes:

Now seeing those old videos of corps back in the day, it looks to a (relative) youngster like myself that THOSE were the steroid fueled times...So much steroidal rage, they picked up the timpanies!

And those women/men in the guard really HIT their counts!

Corps on steroids could perform their shows multiple times on a given night.... thus allowing DCI or DCA to keep the number of corps at a given contest to a minimum. Instead of a seven or eight-corps contest, there could be a three-corps contest, with each performing two or three times that night.

Fewer corps per show. Think of the money that could be saved here for a contest sponsor!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I think Congress would be 1,000 times more likely to investigate Drum Corps International for their judging system than for performance enhancing drugs, if they would investigate at all.
Another thing I just thought of -- with all of these bigger, stronger, faster marchers whipping around at extremely high speeds with massive pieces of equipment hanging off them, the field judges are going to be in for the sprint of their lives to avoid danger.

Won't someone please think of the judges ?????!!!!! :rolleyes:

Think of the judges!?!…. My horn instructor always told us “Those who can’t… Teach. Those who can’t teach… Judge.”

How about larger and larger bass drums, since our "enhanced" members will be ever bigger an stronger.

Imagine the range of sounds and melodies from a 10 or 15 person bass line?

I don’t think the MM staff would want to take members out of the horn line for more bass people. Each bass person would have to carry two bass drums, one on their front and one on their back. Just think of it… Back sticking on a bass drum.

I think the only illegal performance-enhancing thing members would benefit from would be blood-doping. It seems like actual steroids would lead to respiratory or heart problems considering how frequently and how strenuously people practice throughout the season. That said, with blood-doping the shows could become even more ridiculous running and playing-wise, and probably louder too.
True, the sports anabolic steroids typically are showing up in aren't big on endurance, so that's about the only kind I could see actually having an impact on the activity. Although, considering the cost, and the fact that this is a very non-professional activity which the members pay to be a part of, I don't see use becoming an issue even in this case.

I am not so sure about this. I’ve seen some documentary about what it is like to get into some of the top placing corps these days. I bet an individual looking to move up from a local 20th place corps to a top 5 corps with real intensive tryouts might consider it.

Anyway ... back to the FUN nature of this topic ...... :blink:

I would stay away from the busses in the prelims parking lot of the 13th place corps.

3-D drill! Marchers can stand on each others shoulders to create moving pyramids, etc.

Also, each member could play two instruments/equipment at the same time. Finally, you can have that contra/rifle line you've been wanting all these years.

So many possibilities... Just make the judges aren't also on drugs. :)