Worst Injury you marched a show with

what a bunch of sissies!!! you guys never had it bad at all, not like me. once, at retreat, we had all the contras set just perfect on the ground and knelt down to pick them up. now, normally, we would kneel, grab our horns, and pop back up in unison, but not this night. we stayed kneeling down for what felt like gee, i don't know, minutes. needless to say, my foot totally fell asleep, and when our section leader gave the command to stand, i half stood, half fell down, had to catch myself and totally screwed up our uniformity. it was brutal man, brutal. a horrific sports injury if ever there was one but you know what? next morning, for stretch and basics, i was right there dude, ironman, gutting it out, recently sleeping foot and all.

top that, suckas!

i split my fulcrum playing crash cymbals during spring training-and it re-split all summer...any percussionist (especially pit) knows how much a ##### that can be

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a bunch of sissies!!! you guys never had it bad at all, not like me. once, at retreat, we had all the contras set just perfect on the ground and knelt down to pick them up. now, normally, we would kneel, grab our horns, and pop back up in unison, but not this night. we stayed kneeling down for what felt like gee, i don't know, minutes. needless to say, my foot totally fell asleep, and when our section leader gave the command to stand, i half stood, half fell down, had to catch myself and totally screwed up our uniformity. it was brutal man, brutal. a horrific sports injury if ever there was one but you know what? next morning, for stretch and basics, i was right there dude, ironman, gutting it out, recently sleeping foot and all.

top that, suckas!

:tongue:

I can't imagine your pain. I hope I never have to go through something like that....EVER! It would be too painful for me to handle.

I marched a show once with a fever over 100 degrees while with the Bushwackers. Didn't rehearse all day, but marched the show and managed not to collapse at the end.

I marched a DCI evaluation show in Stockton and VFW State in Anaheim the next night with a fever over 102. Shivering at retreat. Made the bus ride awful, and made me really irritable. Broke out with a rash and was bedridden for two days until the fever broke. Two GP's and a Pediatrician never did figure out what it was, but I talked the Doc into letting me go "to watch" AL State in San Jose the next weekend. I'd sweated off 25 pounds, and my uniform fit like a bag, but I carried those 65 pound tenors all day and played the show on Saturday night.

Garry in Vegas

PS That may have been the weekend they took us to an all-you-can-eat buffett the next day. I think the place lost money that day. I did my best to put some of the weight back on, and my corpsmates did their best to keep the staff running for more food. When we left the owner stood at the door, shaking his head.

Couldn't resist this..........it was 1964 (the first time), the street leading to Old Forge (PA) HS field, where I stepped in a pot hole. I marched on a broken ankle that was not diagnosed until years later, when I found out that I had fractured that same ankle 3 times.

Ve get too soon old, und too late schmart!!! As the PA dutchmen say........

I believe it was SCV 99, on the way to move in two brothers got in a car crash. Both on the drumline I believe, one died and the other was badly hurt. However I heard that he marched bottom bass all summer while recovering from his burns and other injuries. That is both physically and more mentally tough than probably anyone I've heard of before.

Tribute here.

I can't belive I'm about to post this....in 2004 like a week before a December camp i ended up with a twisted testicle, (while I was in the gym training for tour, and weightlifting team is when i think it happened) it had to be removed I missed the camp due to recovery but was back in January in the basics block. It has defiantly made for some interesting nicknames along the way as well.

1982 Lafayette, LA Cajun Bowl. Finished the closer with my knee cap displaced. Luckily there wasn't but about 30 seconds of the show left. I can still feel it today.

Thank you Jesse G. for smacking it back in place.

Edited by BWEAR

Busted my bottom lip open during basics block last year, and still managed to play all the notes in the show that night, only to find my mouthpiece filled with blood at the end.

I did that at least once a week during my last tour. It was probably because I played too loud. Oh well

ECJ 05 We were in New york rehearsing. We were cleaning the "pandoras box" Drill at the end of La fiesta. Any away in the drill I watch a mellophone smack in to the back of a tuba face first. It wasnt just a small smack either. she was literally ran in to the back of it while the tuba pretty much ran in to her. I seriously thought she was going to be out for the show. The next day she had a wicked black eye, and still did the show. After almost passing out whe was treated at a first aid tent, when the paramedics asked her what had happened, they were shocked that she did the show.