So we're not even Legacy alumni anymore?

Legacy just means we that marched in the past which have an impact on the today.
What? No one is gonna argue with me?

LOL. At present, I don't care what DCI calls me. I will be more concerned when I read that the last CD or DVD from the late 1970's has sold out, and there are no plans of selling more copies.

To me, that would be like saying we sold out, we're not going to make anymore, and therefore, the past will not exist. And that, I suspect, will happen. :nervous:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None from this camp either.

But it raises the question in my mind of where does that place those hundreds of Drum Corps who marched before DCI?

Do those 13 deserve more kudos than the others? Why?

I grew up in a city that had more competing Drum Corps of Class "A" (that's what we called what is now "World" Class!) status than that group.

Isn't this like that saying: "The winners write history"?

So what is it now? Technology dictates history?

Puppet

Some months ago I emailed DCW and asked if they had recordings from the 1975 Class A DCI Finals? I was told that a man did in fact record this Show and many more. When He passed he willed his recordings to DCI. So DCI does in fact have these recordings but they are just setting on them for some reason. I emailed DCI about this. And I never received and answer back. Just an email trying to sell me an Legacy CD.

Just a thought. I don't know how legal this would be? Maybe some folks who have Home recordings or Home video from Class A Corps or Open Class Corps who never made top 12 could put something together and sell it. And then use the money to sponser young people who are marching today.

Some months ago I emailed DCW and asked if they had recordings from the 1975 Class A DCI Finals? I was told that a man did in fact record this Show and many more. When He passed he willed his recordings to DCI. So DCI does in fact have these recordings but they are just setting on them for some reason. I emailed DCI about this. And I never received and answer back. Just an email trying to sell me an Legacy CD.

I'm willing to bet those were the late Ken Kobald's audio tapes they were referring to. Seems to me that Ken taped just about everything (prelims and finals), then the tapes went into his basement. After his death, DCI came into possession of those tapes, restored them and created the digitally remastered "Legacy" DVDs using that audio (as opposed to the lesser-quality audio from the telecast).

So, at least based on what I've gathered, that's part of the story of what was done with those tapes. As much as I would like to see the rest of the collection released, I doubt that DCI is "just sitting on them." I suspect that the restoration/digital remastering process is quite expensive, not to mention time-consuming, and they may not have the money to get it done.

heh... Every once in a while, I'm reminded that the kids are in this forum reading stuff. :music:

You're right. That's why I sometimes try to add a historic flavor to my posts. You use the word Legacy and it brings that out in me more. So I found this on another thread, an article from the pre-season of 1971 - Yes, before the internet:

Sorry it may be hard to read - didn't know how to make it bigger.

BCB.jpg

Legacy

Well, this is part of the Historical Junior Corps Discussions isn't it?

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Well, Puppet. Legacy in video would have to be when someone started filming corps shows. Legacy in audio would be the same, only someone taping the shows.

The records may be there, but how can we enjoy pre-legacy legacy if there's nothing to see or hear?

Well, Puppet. Legacy in video would have to be when someone started filming corps shows. Legacy in audio would be the same, only someone taping the shows.

The records may be there, but how can we enjoy pre-legacy legacy if there's nothing to see or hear?

As I said in another post we had people shoot video at rehearsals and at some of our shows.

You can see portion on our Legacy website:

http://www.stritasbrassmen.org/home.html

Puppet

As I said in another post we had people shoot video at rehearsals and at some of our shows.

You can see portion on our Legacy website:

http://www.stritasbrassmen.org/home.html

Puppet

Well, for GAWDS SAKE!!! DON'T send those to DCI. They'll be "missplaced" in a week.

Ever check out the Haas videos for sale on drumcorpsvideos.com??? Some great stuff.

I purchased their Garfield videos from 71 (World Open) and 72 (Blue Rock's home show).