Why no mention/Important New Rule Change Proposal

Could it be the subset is intended to provide in general more committed and stable representatives for the activity? Aren’t more stable corps the ones less likely to be swayed by short-term needs and most likely to make decisions consistent with the long-term health of the activity?

I don’t mean to suggest that any of the corps, past or present, who’ve finished lower in the hierarchy have cast their ballots selfishly or stupidly. It is possible to imagine, however, that a corps facing inactive status or one with a particular financial hardship might be persuaded to vote in ways that served their own short-term interests alone. Those are conditions that aren’t usually associated with the top-finishing corps.

HH

not to take this to the extreme, but consider the past and present power-holders of the political world. does anyone doubt that people in power will do ANYTHING to retain and consolidate their power?

I don't need to name the ruthless people who have sought to gain and keep absolute power.............

I'm not making personal comparisons, just an observation about the psychology of seeking, gaining and holding power. i'm sure the "stability" arguement has been used very successfully as a part of the strategy numerous times.

Mussolini had the trains running on time...............

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So aside from amps and mics, the rich haven't forced new toys on the budgets of the poor.

To me, amps and mics seem to be enough of an investment. And if some of the expansions don't pass this year, they will in the not-too-distant future. And these toys are forced on those who want to compete. Mr. Fiedler taught us that.

Take a look at the finances of the top 9 and compare them to the 10th and down. The top 9 is not exactly the model of financial health. The same can be said for other former top 9 placing corps from recent years. Competitive placment does not mean you bring financial acumen to the table.

Agreed. Ironic that the proposal is coming from one director who always seems to be operating in crisis mode, whether in figuring out how to run his org or in putting his program together in summer. And he believes he's in a BETTER position to be able to offer guidance for everyone else? :wall:

My own perspective is that DCI's long term health would have been better vested with a largely outside board at this point in their development, the same way that most arts organization start with a board made up of the artists and their friends/family, and eventually shift to committed - but not personally affected - members of the business and philanthropic community. That type of board will be driven by the mission of the organization rather than by (necessarily) personal needs. While the "personal needs" model of DCI was absolutely at the heart of DCI's founding, it's questionable as to whether it should still be the driving motive.

Edited by mobrien

On the table. Soon to come.

So aside from amps and mics, the rich haven't forced new toys on the budgets of the poor. That's hardly a trend.

HH

OK, go ahead and keep your head buried in the sand.

Really, what's so wrong with using performance as a standard for selecting the board? While I'll grant that it precludes a struggling corps from joining in the immediate term, it does allow for any corps to have the opportunity in the longer term. Looking at recent years, the top nine leaves out one of the "elite" corps. Another elite corp nearly missed out in this decade. Some of the corps on the soundest financial footing wouldn't make the cut. Yet others who've been deeply in debt do.

So tell me, what would be so dangerous about the composition of a board determined solely by placement in the top nine? Can anyone genuinely say that a board which drew its members from recent top nine corps such as Crossmen, Blue Knights, Glassmen, Crown, Crusaders, Scouts, Bluecoats, Phantom, SCV, Cavies and BD wouldn't make decisions good for drum corps? Would there really be a qualitative difference if top nine near misses such as Colts and Spirit were there? Cascades and Crest? I doubt it. You?

HH

What would be wrong about members electing nine board members? Everyone's ideas gets heard and the ones the majority like get to lead the activity.

Really, what's so wrong with using performance as a standard for selecting the board? While I'll grant that it precludes a struggling corps from joining in the immediate term, it does allow for any corps to have the opportunity in the longer term. Looking at recent years, the top nine leaves out one of the "elite" corps. Another elite corp nearly missed out in this decade. Some of the corps on the soundest financial footing wouldn't make the cut. Yet others who've been deeply in debt do.

So tell me, what would be so dangerous about the composition of a board determined solely by placement in the top nine? Can anyone genuinely say that a board which drew its members from recent top nine corps such as Crossmen, Blue Knights, Glassmen, Crown, Crusaders, Scouts, Bluecoats, Phantom, SCV, Cavies and BD wouldn't make decisions good for drum corps? Would there really be a qualitative difference if top nine near misses such as Colts and Spirit were there? Cascades and Crest? I doubt it. You?

HH

This is like saying that, instead of electing a president and congress, we should just make a rule saying that the CEOs of the top 100 companies get to be congress and make the rules, since they are the most financially stable, they must know what's best for every american.