Why no mention/Important New Rule Change Proposal

Well one thing, as I understand it, is that this is an organizational bylaw, not a Rules Proposal like the other stuff we've been talking about. These bylaws apparently are not publicized on DCI.org like the Rules Proposals and also the voting process is a little different and also are not subject to the same deadlines.

This is true. These bylaws are on a completely different timetable and are not publicized. Needless to say, I don't think Hopkins would have liked this to get out... oops

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true for all corps today and for all time. The same question is apt. Why can't a board that includes SCV and Crusaders but not Cascades or Spirit make the right decisions for drum corps?

HH

Because they have different needs and points of view. If you want a governing body that represents the needs of entire activity than you want to make sure that there are representatives that are sympathetic to the needs of the entire activity. The corps in the top 9 quite frankly don't have many of the same worries that corps in the 'lower tier' have.

I hear what you're saying but I'm having a hard time figuring how that could be. What changes would a top nine corps reasonably support that would hurt the competitive situation of those at 10 and below and not affect nine and above?

Don't say buy more toys. Top nine is a performance measure not a financial one.

HH

Top nine is most definitely a financial a financial measure just as much as it is a performance measure. How do those groups afford their huge staffs, their enormous props, their new top of the line equipment, and new uniforms every few years?

But that is not the answer to your question...

I don't think there are many rule proposals that would make it more difficult for lower tier corps. The problem is not the rule proposals, but instead it is the fact that these 9 corps have all of the power to make every decision for the rest of the pack. They have the power to decide who goes to what shows, when they perform at those shows, how much those corps get paid, and a whole lot more.

The problem is, every voting member is going to do what is in their corps best interest. People are going to look out for number one first. That is just human nature. By having equal representation (or a cross section of the entire cast of corps) all of their points of view are going to be taken into account. By having just the top nine, they are going to do whatever it takes to stay in power.

My question is this:

Why shouldn't Roman at Pioneer have a say? He has maintained a healthy drum corps that has not endangered its members for quite some time.

How about March Richardson at Academy? He has made a successful drum corps in a very short period of time.

Why not Fred Morris at Troopers? He brought a corps back from near extinction and showed financial and administrative health in their first year back

Why not Blue Stars? They have done shown steady and constant improvement over the last 3 years

Why not Mark Chamber at Crossmen? He built one of the premier band programs in the country.

Why not the director at Mandarins? He has had a healthy drum corps for a very long time

Why not any other directors that are trying to do what is best for their corps and the entire activity? Why does it have to be the top 9?

wow. that's all I have to say. wow.

is his argument really than ~20 people is too many to make decisions? Someone should tell the US House.

Yeah no kidding

On Tuesday afternoon, I wrote e-mails to 14 world Class corps directors stating my concerns about this proposal. By Tuesday night I already had 4 responses, all from top 12 corps from 2007. Two directors specifically said they were NOT in favor of this proposal. (One of those asked if I would be in Orlando...don't I wish!) One other thanked me for my comments. The last gave me his phone number and asked me to call to talk about it. (This is a director I know personally.)

I'm hoping to have 10 more reponses by tomorrow. It's funny how a respectful e-mail will achieve it's goal, to state concerns and elicit a response. Perhaps more of us should share our thoughts before Thursday. All the corps' e-mail addresses are listed on the DCI website. I'm thinking Friday will be a travel day.

I would love to share the names of the corps and directors, but I think their confidence should be respected. My e-mails were focused on current voting corps that I felt could have an effect on the voting, or could be adversely affected.

Garry in Vegas

IWould a majority of folks be in agreement of a Board of Nine for Advisory, Performance Fee setting, etc., but NOT artistic or competitive rule change proposals?

Absolutely not. What would prevent that board of 9 from deciding that the performance fee schedule needs reworking, and doubling their show pay while significantly cutting the show pay for the 10th and lower corps? That would do more to widen the distance between the top 9 and the rest than any rule change.

Edited by oldsoprano

On Tuesday afternoon, I wrote e-mails to 14 world Class corps directors stating my concerns about this proposal. By Tuesday night I already had 4 responses, all from top 12 corps from 2007. Two directors specifically said they were NOT in favor of this proposal. (One of those asked if I would be in Orlando...don't I wish!) One other thanked me for my comments. The last gave me his phone number and asked me to call to talk about it. (This is a director I know personally.)

I'm hoping to have 10 more reponses by tomorrow. It's funny how a respectful e-mail will achieve it's goal, to state concerns and elicit a response. Perhaps more of us should share our thoughts before Thursday. All the corps' e-mail addresses are listed on the DCI website. I'm thinking Friday will be a travel day.

I would love to share the names of the corps and directors, but I think their confidence should be respected. My e-mails were focused on current voting corps that I felt could have an effect on the voting, or could be adversely affected.

Garry in Vegas

This is a great and idea and probably the best way to make your voice heard. I would urge everyone to so the same and do it now since there's not much time, but make sure to be respectful when outling your concerns.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

couple things. I went through the slide presentation linked in this thread. Not sure how legit it is, but going off of that, a couple things.

1. - Terrible Powerpoint presentation. Just too many words, font attributes don't match up properly from page to page, too many un-needed transitions and a few grammar/spelling errors as well... I mean, I would have a hard time focusing on this presentation and may not even take it seriously. The Powerpoint is not the presenter. The presenter is the presenter.

2. - focusing on what was written, there are some good points I think, but I would rather see this board voted in instead of using the results of thousands of young musicians. Yeah, this is how WGI works, but... I don't know... just doesn't seem to be something I think should be instituted.