What Music WILL Suit Phantom regiment best?

NOTE: I AM NOT CONNER, BUT A FRIEND

I already mentioned Joan Tower's music, which is pretty contemporary.

Going back a little further, I'd love to hear PR tackle some Sessions...particularly "The Black Maskers." Or maybe Britten's "Four Sea Interludes."

I would just like to say that you are without a doubt the smartest person on DCP right now. Honestly, any mention of David Holsinger or some other hack band composer should fall on deaf ears. Joan Tower is an incredible composer and personality, very witty women. I love female wit.

For the record, maybe Phantom should play something by Brahms, Beethoven, Bruckner, Mahler, Haydn, or Mozart. There is PLENTY, TONS, THOUSANDS of pieces that could be used in a show. Is DCP honestly opposed to the possibility of a show centered around Brahms 4, Mozart 40, and maybe some sprinklings of Beethoven piano concertos or overtures. What about the opening of Beethoven 7? Hell, what about Tchaikovsky 6!? I don't even like Tchaikovsky that much, but hell, there's way too much already incredibly good music that needs to be done by drum corps. Come on people, if you're honestly going to make a case for Eric Whitacre, David Holsinger, or Samuel Hazo to me or anyone else, please question your own musical taste.

EDIT: For the record, I mention Tchaik 6 (and 4 for good obvious measure) just to point out that there's more to him than the 1812 Lame Overture.

Edited by PhantomR

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, what Tchaikovsky 6!?

I agree totally, but not until they have a different staff. I just don't think that they have a good idea of how Tchaik should be done. They do modern/20th Century works quite well. Romantic and before need to be left to others. Just my opinion, but it is one based on pretty consistent results. Agree totally regarding all of the Romantic/earlier composers/pieces you listed. But this staff is 20th Century. And there are a few more 70's/80's selections that Phantom still needs to re-do before we return to prior to 1900.

THIS IS NOT CONNER

I agree totally, but not until they have a different staff. I just don't think that they have a good idea of how Tchaik should be done. They do modern/20th Century works quite well. Romantic and before need to be left to others. Just my opinion, but it is one based on pretty consistent results. Agree totally regarding all of the Romantic/earlier composers/pieces you listed. But this staff is 20th Century. And there are a few more 70's/80's selections that Phantom still needs to re-do before we return to prior to 1900.

Well 20th century is fine by me, but Khatch doesn't cut it for me. Shosty is fine, but they seem to ignore so many others from the past 100 years. Heeey, what about a Lutoslawski show? Ligeti? Messaien?? What about Stravinsky (Symphony of Psalms has not been touched, to my knowledge) Honestly, these composers are far better than Shostakovich, and would be plenty suitable for drum corps. Well, maybe not Ligeti. Then of course there's the early 20th century Americans, such as Mennin, Schumann, Copland and others. I think Copland's Inscape and the clarinet concerto would work rather well. Mennin 3, Schumann's New England Triptych. Come on, these are all pretty famous pieces, especially Triptych. People know them, and if they don't they should anyway. So why dig out the same Shosty symphonies beaten to death in drum corps in way, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Drum corps needs to think more progressively.

Edited by PhantomR

I'd love to hear New England Triptych. And I'm a big Mennin fan since playing canzona in high school. His string quartets and a couple of symphonies would rock on the field. Not too sure about how the Copland clarinet concerto would work. I could see maybe using the intro up to the cadenza as either a ballad or an intro for a show. Anyway, I like all of your suggestions, and I think there's actually quite a bit of good Shostakovich that corps haven't really tried yet. But I'm all for hearing something something new.

Personally, I'd like to see PR do variations on 4'33" by John Cage, but if we're talking about a drum corps conquering contemporary masterworks, it would be nice for someone to do Husa. Can you picture Apotheosis of this Earth on the marching field? Or at least Music for Prague? Maybe those have been done somewhere, but I don't believe so...

Edited by Will Valenti

NOT CONNER

I'd love to hear New England Triptych. And I'm a big Mennin fan since playing canzona in high school. Not too sure about how the Copland clarinet concerto would work. I could see maybe using the intro up to the cadenza as either a ballad or an intro for a show. Anyway, I like all of your suggestions, and I think there's actually quite a bit of good Shostakovich that corps haven't really tried yet. But I'm all for hearing something something new.

I mean Peter Mennin. Google him. Mannin Veen is some tone poem by some guy named Haydn Wood or something I've NEEEEEVER heard of before. I played that piece my freshman year in college. I didn't like it too much :(.

This is the only Boulez piece I would consider possibly working in the drum corps setting. Actually, I think it's the only Boulez piece I've heard that I like, haha.

Sorry, I"m tipsy. I corrected it. I was thinking Haydn Wood. Played Mannin Veen in the Marines, not in high school. Played Canzona in high school.

Haha, it's all good