What Music WILL Suit Phantom regiment best?

So they've played Corigliano and Glass the last couple years, yet they're playing it safe?

And Blue Knights have played some classical tunes three years since (and including) 2000. Some wind ensemble stuff and mostly-original content made up the other years. Most would never conclude such repretoires make Blue Knights the "much more the classical corps."

I knew my comments would ruffle at least a couple of phan's pheathers. Playing it safe I am referring to the possibility of old stuff like we may hear this summer. . .or the Gershwin, not necessarily that the music is easy, but that it is safe when it comes to the fans. They will hopefully change my mind with this show, but we will see. The announcement alone only makes me think they are playing it safe again.

. . .and yes, as of late, which I thought I conveyed before, I feel Blue Knights are more classical in the way they present their shows.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew my comments would ruffle at least a couple of phan's pheathers. Playing it safe I am referring to the possibility of old stuff like we may hear this summer. . .or the Gershwin, not necessarily that the music is easy, but that it is safe when it comes to the fans. They will hopefully change my mind with this show, but we will see. The announcement alone only makes me think they are playing it safe again.

. . .and yes, as of late, which I thought I conveyed before, I feel Blue Knights are more classical in the way they present their shows.

I suppose I'm still not sure what "playing it safe when it comes to the fans" means. Does it mean "they are trying to make sure fans are happy"? Does it mean "they try to capture a wider subset of fans than does, say, Cadets"? By your estimation, how many (or which) corps do not play it safe when it comes to fans?

As for your "BK being the more classical corps" comment, I suppose PR's arrangements have gone the way of more popular arranging these days (particularly last year in trying to create moods), but I can't fathom calling BK the more classical corps. In their defense, I think 2007 BK is a phenomenal show, and I like their arrangement of Shosty 10 better than PR 2002.

And though I'm a PR fan, I typically don't respond to your (frequent) negativity toward PR. I just found your two main statements to be pretty bizarre.

I suppose I'm still not sure what "playing it safe when it comes to the fans" means. Does it mean "they are trying to make sure fans are happy"? Does it mean "they try to capture a wider subset of fans than does, say, Cadets"? By your estimation, how many (or which) corps do not play it safe when it comes to fans?

As for your "BK being the more classical corps" comment, I suppose PR's arrangements have gone the way of more popular arranging these days (particularly last year in trying to create moods), but I can't fathom calling BK the more classical corps. In their defense, I think 2007 BK is a phenomenal show, and I like their arrangement of Shosty 10 better than PR 2002.

And though I'm a PR fan, I typically don't respond to your (frequent) negativity toward PR. I just found your two main statements to be pretty bizarre.

Bizarre?

Surely you know what I mean. Phantom knows if they play something classical in nature, especially something they have already performed, and they play it loudly, people will cheer no matter what. Good for them for keeping fans happy (I am not saying anything is wrong with that) but for me, that is playing it safe. Hopefully Spartacus is just the show's title and not a reflection of a rehash of years' past.

Again, my comment on BK was as of late. Take it or leave it, but in recent years BK looks and sounds much more like a classical corps than Phantom. No biggie. . .not saying one is better than the other.

As far as my frequent negativity. . .too bad. I am just calling it like I see it. Not everyone around here has to gush at everything Phantom.

I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing them give Symphonie Ph(F)antastique another shot. I loved this show (1985) and think it's one of the more underated shows in DCI.

Wow, some GREAT music listed here and yes, Beibl, Corigliano & ESPECIALLY Miklos Rozsa were on my list....

Now as for Korngold's Sea Hawk -- That would be AWESOME! You know, after starting this thread, I pulled out my Miklos Rosza collection of CD's and played "Ben Hur" & "El Cid". Some great pasges ther, for all facets of a show... especially the theme of slave gone rebel and victor, Aka- "Spartacus" Hmmmm.....

I think they might pull off some North's music from the movie for this season, who knows, different music, same title as in 81/82, but good none the less.

I'd love to see a show with more Philip Glass, and have it called "Cathedral Caleidescope" . White uni's, and themes related to sacred melodies. Have the ilks lok like stained glass and have the guard personify angels.... they (PR) could REALLY pull this off !!!

Some music would be :

Opener: "Procession to the Cathedral"

"Variations on Old 100th"

"O Nata Lux" (by Morten Lauridsen) as the Balad

and as a closer, a recapitulated version, in canon form of the "Hallelujah Chorus" last 46 measures as a prophetic and FFF ending tto a company front which immediately does a 360 and the drill form would be that of a grand cathedral with the guard as the heavenly host.

ok, ok -- that's a really outlandish thought, but, what can I say.... just got home from a 3 hr choir rehearsal !

Keep the ides & composer comin'

There’s a lot of modern movie music/scores I believe would work well for Phantom. A ballad that comes to mind is Patrick Cassidy’s Vide cor Meum. The Cadets played it brilliantly in ’01 (one of my all time favorite ballads) and I just know Phantom would create head to toe chills with the emotion of this number.

Korngold is OK at times, cheesy at times, IMHO. Just my opinion. If the cheese can be edited out, then great!

And of all of Berlioz's works that I would like to hear PR do, Fantastique ranks no higher than third simly b/c they've done it before. I'd like to hear 'Harold en Italie' and Trish mentioned a 'R&J' concept a while back that would be cool. Do R&J with an amalgum of various composers' R&J-related music, a la Faust, or do Berlioz's straight up. Would be interesting to see someone else do the other of the two in the same year for a great contrast!

Maybe Crown in cream and PR in black?? Talk about contrast.

I would love to see Phantom not play it so safe musically and start going more out on a limb, as they did with their latin(ish) year (2004?). For me, Blue Knights have become much more the classical corps as of late anyway.

i dunno if latin(ish) is the right way to describe Piazzolla. As far as tangos go, he is the most respected writer of the genre. it is very much seen as a classical take on the music too. That show is absolutely amazing. When i saw it the first time at that company front near the end i started tearing up. But Regiment still holds their title as the Classical music voice. i'm wondering if this year is going to be anything like '91 Star music wise, that is. Whenever i think of Rome my mind goes to Roman Images. Plus its classic music so i think it'd work out. we'll just have to wait and see more from 'em

Well, going to the Regiment Home Page and the archived show history - scores, it's readily apparent they they score & have scored higher (3rd & above) the majority of the time they have played more modern music (93, 94, 03,05,06) as opposed to the traditiona classical composers of the 17,18 & 19th centuries.

The scores speak for themselves as to what interpretations, along with the design is definately favored in the more modern composers/pieces than thos years Regiment has stuck with the major, well-known composers, which in most years, have played various other & in some times THE SAME pieces as in previous outings.

Very interesting wehen looked at it in this manner -- especially when a corps centers themselves around such medium and musical styles. Now, we'd have to look at these years (above) and see where they placed visually/musically, and build from there in future program designs.

regiment has to get in their mindset BE FIRST, BE THE BEST, BE INTUITIVE to what your past performances have yielded. It's a new era. a new judging mindset as well as judging criteri! Regiment needs to just "Get down and get dirty" right now, in camps and assess what has worked in these years and the judging system as it is now. Regiment has a fantastic staff. they are competent, diverse and well trained. Yes, Regiment has a tradition and a past to live up to, but now to DECIDE to create and expanded identity ! Lets not be "just" Drum Corps classical Music Identity" be the innovators OF THAT specific genre as each year comes/goes.

Flame if you want, but Regiment is always playing catch up. No secret there -- it's come from their own BOD folks and staff as well as alums. Regiment has certain sayings with meaning to the members: "Think1" as well as others.... In my Marine Corps experience my platoon had a saying:

"Nothing less than perfection is to be offered, achieved and demanded. Today, tomorrow and until the mission is complete and a success"

C'Mon Regiment -- 2008 could be it ! MAKE IT HAPPEN !!!