Trumpet? Tubas?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that the drummers don't seem to have as much of a problem with it ('it' being the adaptation of their instruments) as us 'bugle' players?

Just wonderin'.

They're drummers. Doesn't that explain it? They don't care about anything. Ever wonder why they almost always have their own bus?...and it's filthy. :ph34r:

They're drummers. Doesn't that explain it? They don't care about anything. Ever wonder why they almost always have their own bus?...and it's filthy. :tongue:

Now that is funny..........and true!

Why is it that the drummers don't seem to have as much of a problem with it ('it' being the adaptation of their instruments) as us 'bugle' players?

Just wonderin'.

I've been away from the game for quite some time, but don't they still call a snare a snare? I guess they call tenor drums quads now???? A bass is still a bass, they just give them numbers now, no?

So it's all about the name of the horn?

Yeah, I guess the drummer thing is pretty self-explanatory. Silly me. :tongue:

Not silly at all. They just don't want to confuse drummers more than they already are of course.

Just kidding...........put down the hammer. Heh..........

So it's all about the name of the horn?

I wouldn't say it's ALL about the name of the horn.

Just that the name used to describe the activity and now it doesn't.

I think if the hornline is using trumpets or whatever and people want to call them trumpets - it's OK.

Even if they're playing G bugles and they want to call them trumpets - it's OK.

Whatever they're called, I'm just used to hearing the name "bugle" when I'm doing drum corps. That's all.

I play in a working Jazz/swing band. If the director started calling the trumpets, bugles - I wouldn't be used to that either.

"I've been away from the game for quite some time, but don't they still call a snare a snare? I guess they call tenor drums quads now???? A bass is still a bass, they just give them numbers now, no?"

Yes, they still CALL it a snare, it just doesn't SOUND like a snare in most DCA and DCI lines! At least, not like a snare drum used to sound to most of us! Thanks to smaller 14" Kevlar heads, and free-floating high-tension, the sound is vastly different from a snare drum of 25-30 years ago.

Tenors are still tenors. It's inaccurate to call them (all) quads, since many/most top contending corps use five and six drums now on their tenor sets.

Yes, basses are still basses, and yes in the tonal bass lines they usually are 'bass #1,' or 'bass #2,' etc. (In our Alumni corps, we are stubbornly trying to hold onto the rudimental bass and straight bass voicing of the '60's.)

Fact is, they're all still DRUMS, thankfully. Despite the difference in tonal quality from years ago, we haven't had to endure the fundamental name change that brass players have experienced in the change from 'G' to 'Bb' instruments. It's still 'Drum Corps' thank God!

I hope we never reach the point where folks will routinely call us 'Drum and Brass Corps' rather than 'Drum and Bugle.' It just doesn't have the same impact to me.

"I've been away from the game for quite some time, but don't they still call a snare a snare? I guess they call tenor drums quads now???? A bass is still a bass, they just give them numbers now, no?"

Yes, they still CALL it a snare, it just doesn't SOUND like a snare in most DCA and DCI lines! At least, not like a snare drum used to sound to most of us! Thanks to smaller 14" Kevlar heads, and free-floating high-tension, the sound is vastly different from a snare drum of 25-30 years ago.

Tenors are still tenors. It's inaccurate to call them (all) quads, since many/most top contending corps use five and six drums now on their tenor sets.

Yes, basses are still basses, and yes in the tonal bass lines they usually are 'bass #1,' or 'bass #2,' etc. (In our Alumni corps, we are stubbornly trying to hold onto the rudimental bass and straight bass voicing of the '60's.)

Fact is, they're all still DRUMS, thankfully. Despite the difference in tonal quality from years ago, we haven't had to endure the fundamental name change that brass players have experienced in the change from 'G' to 'Bb' instruments. It's still 'Drum Corps' thank God!

I hope we never reach the point where folks will routinely call us 'Drum and Brass Corps' rather than 'Drum and Bugle.' It just doesn't have the same impact to me.

Funny you mention that the new snare drums don't sound like a snare drum.

I used to like the sound of the snare drum. Now, I hate it. We have these new wedge shaped things that are very loud and have a certain POP! that really hurts the ears. Most of the drum line wears ear plugs when they play them!

Is it still music, if you have to wear ear plugs when you play?

well john for me i don't like the sound of the snare's anymore. sounds like a swiss drum. i'm relly glad that cabs alumni is trying to hold on to the rudimental style drumming. it's a shame that it's disappearing. i hope you stay with cabs a long time so they hold on to it. i know flowers is with his drum club. good for you john and keep up the good work.