Trumpet? Tubas?

I have to make the adjustment nearly every week because I teach both groups of instruments. Sometimes I slip, that is for sure. My point is the kids dont care what I call it as long as they are getting information to help them. The alumni guys seem to frown upon being called tubas and trumpets WAY more than the opposite way around. Plus many of them have been around at least as long as I have or longer.

One of the best USSBA band music judges we see each fall tends to call the tubas "contras", but who cares? She is a fine judge, and all we do is tell the kids what a contra is once and then it doesn't matter.

I say in general call them what they are, but don't get all bothered if someone slips or just wants to use the other term.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best USSBA band music judges we see each fall tends to call the tubas "contras", but who cares? She is a fine judge, and all we do is tell the kids what a contra is once and then it doesn't matter.

I say in general call them what they are, but don't get all bothered if someone slips or just wants to use the other term.

Funny, I don't remember anyone saying it bothered them. I mentioned I can't get use to the interchangeable terms, but I don't recall anyone getting overly upset about it.

I have to make the adjustment nearly every week because I teach both groups of instruments. Sometimes I slip, that is for sure. My point is the kids dont care what I call it as long as they are getting information to help them. The alumni guys seem to frown upon being called tubas and trumpets WAY more than the opposite way around. Plus many of them have been around at least as long as I have or longer.

I keep working because I can make the adjustment and not let it deter me from making kids (and adults) PLAY!!!! I really do have a passion for this stuff if you couldn't tell. Adjustment is necessary for me to have work in this activity. Plus I am a music educator, so it isnt that difficult to see what the activity is today in all areas.

Donny

Our horn instructor at Dream has the same problem. He teaches both us and VK and since we're still on G bugles he "slips up" all the time at rehearsal. No one seems to take true offense, but it sure is fun to give him crap about it. The more "seasoned" vets really seem to take a liking to reminding him we're still on bugles. :blink:

Apparently the VK kids could care less when he switches the names, but the poor guy is going to be dealing with this all season. It's tough switching back and forth between the corps, sometimes on the same weekend, but it does provide for some entertaining moments.